Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Like, why does dumbass google sms messages need to ask for a review? It's the SMS app!

And the worst.... absolute worst... time for any app to ask for a review is when I'm opening the app itself. I opened the app because I want to get poo poo done. I didn't expect to have to solve some stupid puzzle or riddle to figure out how to close some stupid modal window so that I can do what I need to do.

Don't get me started on apps that use their own payment wallets like Starbucks. The cashier is waiting for me to pay for my order. I don't have time to rate the stupid app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

qirex posted:

whoever replaced “don’t show this” with “see less often” at twitter has a special room waiting in the bad place when they die

twitter is some real dumb poo poo. No one is going to be surprised when their "topics" feature, intended to increase engagement for users and exposure for smaller influencers, ends up maximalizing fascism. Somehow.

Toxic twitter is best avoided by (1) not tweeting and (2) following only a closely curated set of smart people worth listening to.

And it's absolutely hilarious when the android client asks if a post referencing goatse is about anatomy. I mean... yeah! But do you really want it to show up in people's feeds regarding anatomy topics?

Goes to show that the engineers and product managers at twitter are either spineless or completely clueless.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the base issue is whoever’s doing the ux can be overruled by anyone in marketing or product if making number go up is at stake

every annoying nag feature has like two dozen people inside the company who tried to stop it from happening but failed because they don’t have a mba and therefore aren’t worth the real decision makers’ time to listen to

qirex fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Apr 30, 2022

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

sb hermit posted:

Like, why does dumbass google sms messages need to ask for a review? It's the SMS app!

because that's required for the perf reviews of the team working on it.

often the things where the product is actively made worse so that they have a number to evaluate the quality of the product on aren't even motivated by "number must go up"; they're instead the simpler "we must have a number". you have the whole concept of "you can't manage what you can't measure" that inevitably results from the idea that managers don't need any domain knowledge about the thing they're managing and instead just need to have generic business management knowledge.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Plorkyeran posted:

because that's required for the perf reviews of the team working on it.

often the things where the product is actively made worse so that they have a number to evaluate the quality of the product on aren't even motivated by "number must go up"; they're instead the simpler "we must have a number". you have the whole concept of "you can't manage what you can't measure" that inevitably results from the idea that managers don't need any domain knowledge about the thing they're managing and instead just need to have generic business management knowledge.

if that's true then that's dumb

I'm happy that hangouts doesn't have that poo poo because they never bothered to update it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

for several versions outlook had a “here’s what’s new in outlook” section in the sidebar that couldn’t be turned off and I don’t think ever got any new content until they killed it

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
tutorial modes when you launch are the worst

if you need a tutorial popup to tell you about something that means its too complicated to figure out and therefore you have already failed

also bad are the ones which tell you all the new features of something when you launch for the first time after an ipdate

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
i'm a big fan of the "look at our new features" tutorial on first launch of a new install. thanks i've never used your app before but i'm really excited to learn about the things you just added.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
The "recycle bin" was a mistake, file managers should at least have a "Actually Delete This" option as well

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

sb hermit posted:

notifications and dialog boxes that replaced "no" with "maybe later" or "not now" or some poo poo that gives them the excuse to try pushing their poo poo on you again

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

InternetOfTwinks posted:

The "recycle bin" was a mistake, file managers should at least have a "Actually Delete This" option as well

I didn't realise that deleting emails in our work email just put them in the trash and so didnt actually give me more room, and then it got too full and emails, of prescriptions mind you, bounced

so I missed a couple. not really a big deal but gently caress, making me go into the web app to *really* delete the deleted emails is.. a bit poo poo

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Shift + delete

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

:aaaaa:

TIL

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I didn't know about shift+tab for a long rear end time

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

pretty sure there is a setting in micro$aft Winblows that will always permanently delete

although I cannot confirm as I use a Mac outside of a work setting :smugmrgw:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you can disable the recycle bin, yeah

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you gotta do it per drive

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

qirex posted:

the base issue is whoever’s doing the ux can be overruled by anyone in marketing or product if making number go up is at stake

every annoying nag feature has like two dozen people inside the company who tried to stop it from happening but failed because they don’t have a mba and therefore aren’t worth the real decision makers’ time to listen to

The real problem here is that strictly speaking under capitalism that number is literally all that matters. Companies exist to make money -- anything that doesn't make money number go up gets loving trashed and rightfully so.

This is probably overwhelmingly responsible for pretty much every single programming shittiness that we have ever had to touch.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

touchscreens on desktop and laptop computers

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

and whats even worse is now people think every screen is a touch screen

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

alexandriao posted:

Companies exist to make money -- anything that doesn't make money number go up gets loving trashed and rightfully so.
there's a lot of evidence that lovely nag features reduce revenue and overall customer satisfaction

there's a difference between making a number go up [that might not even be useful, just to make a team lead's bonus goals] and making the number grow long term

the facebook "pivot to video" pretty much destroyed not only the last vestiges of american journalism but also lost facebook billions of dollars but a number did go up for a short time and somebody probably got a huge stack of rsus which was the point of the whole thing. now their obsession with min/maxing a few key numbers is eating into their bottom line in a huge way

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

yeah i think it is a big mistake to think that the number which is going up is always the company's money. sometimes incentives are misaligned and money gets burned to make some unrelated number go up.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Gentle Autist posted:

why do people get mad about linkedin, it’s great for looking up people who you had meetings with 4 months ago and/or getting referral bonuses for randos who hit you up on there

every now and then i open up linkedin and i see a wall of people making sincere posts on it or even treating it like a social network and i get said because how miserable is your life if you're posting cat videos on god drat linkedin

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Wild EEPROM posted:

touchscreens on desktop and laptop computers

i generally agree

however i have an og chromebook pixel and using maps with pinch to zoom on the screen is universally better than other modes

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

infinite scrolling

makes it impossible to link to anything, or even find anything but the latest content. but web designers love it for some dumb reason

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

I think that's finally starting to fall out of fashion, thank god. Now if we can just get rid of redirect loops that break your back button we'll be on the right track.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

oh man both good criticisms, they're awful features

in terms of effectiveness, i also hate carousels (as in webpage displays)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mediaphage posted:

in terms of effectiveness, i also hate carousels (as in webpage displays)
the carousel pattern is an imperfect solution to an impossible request, namely "these 5 things are all #1 priority!"

imo good decision making would eliminate 95% of carousels

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

qirex posted:

the carousel pattern is an imperfect solution to an impossible request, namely "these 5 things are all #1 priority!"

imo good decision making would eliminate 95% of carousels

it's worse than imperfect, though, it's downright terrible. like a lot of these things it adds bloat and complexity for something that users literally never use or care about

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

refusing to display more than two lines of text on the screen without scrolling. when you do scroll instead of just scrolling normally 15 different things fade in and out while objects slide around the screen in multiple directions

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

websites that can't do multiple screen sizes so they just size everything for touch and you get a 100px navbar and 24 pt body font

love to zoom out to 80% and fix the layout immediately

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

oh relatedly to those, webpages that use the scroll action to do lovely animations instead of scrolling the page

apple has been bad about this in the past iirc

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

especially when the page forgets to give any indication that scrolling will do anything or that there's any more content than what's already visible

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

webpages that immediately revert to their useless "mobile" layout the moment the browser window is less than 1000 px wide

whats 1920/2 precious?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

webpages that immediately revert to their useless "mobile" layout the moment the browser window is less than 1000 px wide

whats 1920/2 precious?

or flatout refuse to let you use any kind of "desktop" view on mobile devices

sometimes the ipad gets sent there and it's infuriating

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

mobile websites that are so insanely thirsty for you to download their app that they have made the website just absolute garbage with endless nags and just locks you out after a while

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Progressive JPEG posted:

whats 1920/2 precious?

To be fair there aren't many tools in webdev to know what is a mobile browser and what isn't, and generally speaking pixel sizing on phones has got dense enough that it's becoming difficult. Like my current phone is 1440 pixels width, which is way more than the laptop I was using up until October 2021

But having something like a flag which is sent from the browser to the site requires everyone to agree, which, lmao

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

wait this is yospos, u already know this :negative:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

alexandriao posted:

wait this is yospos, u already know this :negative:

do not under any circumstances let that realization stop you from explaining something

trust me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
my mobile phone web browser has a flag which seems to do a good job of forcing the desktop site when the mobile site turns out to be unusable garbage (usually because they've deliberately broken their previously-okay mobile site to try and push you to use their app instead)