Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Theoretically there are media queries for device type but I don't think I've ever seen them used properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

just check for mobile by looking for "Safari" in the useragent, easy peasy

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Theoretically there are media queries for device type but I don't think I've ever seen them used properly.

its all either just user-agent strings, or a combo of user-agent, accept-encoding and a couple of others

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Progressive JPEG posted:

put "i want the mobile version" and "i want the desktop version" buttons on the inevitable dialog that interrupts whatever youre trying to read with some bullshit about cookies and/or asking you to subscribe to a newsletter

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

letting phones on the internet was a mistake

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Sweevo posted:

the internet was a mistake

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jabor posted:

my mobile phone web browser has a flag which seems to do a good job of forcing the desktop site when the mobile site turns out to be unusable garbage (usually because they've deliberately broken their previously-okay mobile site to try and push you to use their app instead)

yeah edge "use desktop version" does a pretty good job at faking all the different things sites do to check if its a mobile browser.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Progressive JPEG posted:

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Dialogs that load after the initial page load that move links right as you are about to click on them. Looking at you, every time I've tried to click the second result on a Google search.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Dialogs that load after the initial page load that move links right as you are about to click on them. Looking at you, every time I've tried to click the second result on a Google search.

relatedly: apples insistence on waiting to change frequently used icons until after you load the menu or dock or whatever, so they always loving change a split second before i tap them

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i am so sick of cookie consent popups that pop up every time (unless you hit accept all, then they'll stay gone)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i'm getting to the point where i have to really really want to see what's on the other side of any given captcha or i don't do it. tired of doing free work for google's ai division.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

i am so sick of cookie consent popups that pop up every time (unless you hit accept all, then they'll stay gone)

gonna create a cookie consent popup that only shows for the EU and defaults to no-cookies so it keeps popping up because the consent cookie is not set

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Shaggar posted:

gonna create a cookie consent popup that only shows for the EU and defaults to no-cookies so it keeps popping up because the consent cookie is not set

Good idea.

Now, when you say “only shows for the EU” did you mean

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
EU ip addresses. best effort

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
geoip databases are basically manually curated when you get down to it. its funny that both geoip and bgp, the two definining forces in 'how the internet works' are all basically some scripts that deal with the easy 90% and manual work by burnt out network engineers for the last 10

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
work with browser vendors to implement an "is-protected-by-gdpr" header

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Jonny 290 posted:

geoip databases are basically manually curated when you get down to it. its funny that both geoip and bgp, the two definining forces in 'how the internet works' are all basically some scripts that deal with the easy 90% and manual work by burnt out network engineers for the last 10

i heard that bgp is actually just a bunch of dudes yelling over each other on a secret stock market floor somewhere in switzerland

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

we have https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc8805/ now but lol

quote:

Consumers of self-published IP geolocation feeds SHOULD perform some
form of verification that the publisher is in fact authoritative for
the addresses in the feed. The actual means of verification is
likely dependent upon the way in which the feed is discovered. Ad
hoc shared URIs, for example, will likely require an ad hoc
verification process. Future automated means of feed discovery
SHOULD have an accompanying automated means of verification.

RIRs should have done a similar thing to rpki imo

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

cowboy beepboop posted:

we have https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc8805/ now but lol

RIRs should have done a similar thing to rpki imo

I was going to mention that there's a new signed bgp thing being proposed but it's rpki which you just mentioned

https://blog.cloudflare.com/rpki/

The problem with self published stuff is that if you lie on it, you may not serve any repercussions. Whereas if you lie to a dns allocation agency, you could (in theory) lose your allocation if you make them mad enough.

I guess this format would be more widely used in larger organizations that need to provide more specific context for specific subnets than you would normally get from a whois request. Like if an ISP needs to split an IP block among different states or a cloud service provider has an ipv6 chunk that is constantly changing availability zones. If you had to contact IANA to get this feed, then IANA would already be telling you which allocations would belong to this organization, and I guess you could just ignore anything that falls outside of that.

So, beyond giving incorrect geolocation data for blocks that you own, the risk of mischief would probably be quite low.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
https://twitter.com/_saagarjha/status/1523150413171625986
https://twitter.com/_saagarjha/status/1523150414593421312
https://twitter.com/_saagarjha/status/1523150415855988739

engagement goes up = users love it

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

getting lots of engagement on the close account page

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
those embeds are literally noise to me that bounced off my skull like 5.56 rounds glancing off an armored tank. i recognize they appeared, but i still have no idea what they are trying to communicate

one big problem that all these 3.0 tech dorks have is that they don't know how to word their ideas in a way that is in any way shape or form understandable to ppl that don't log on and post Gm :) in 3,271 crypto discords bc if you dont do that you are a NGMI loser normie

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

What is it with brick-and-mortar retailers having absolutely broken search bars on mobile?

I'm talking about Barnes and Noble, Macy's, Bed Bath Beyond, and etc

Attempting to write stuff into the search bar is an exercise in frustration because not all the keystrokes register. It's as if they're trapping the keystroke before putting it the search field because they want to power the stupid search predictor. Why not just eat my entire rear end? Turn off that poo poo so that I can type what I want to search for, instead of making me copy and paste that poo poo, or spend a half minute trying to type a six letter word. And don't get me started on sites that don't have a search results page, but insist on putting it below the search bar.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

When it's easier to use google to search your website than to use your own website's tools, then maybe you should just let google power the search results. Just forward the query to google. There's no shame in it.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

those embeds are literally noise to me that bounced off my skull like 5.56 rounds glancing off an armored tank. i recognize they appeared, but i still have no idea what they are trying to communicate

one big problem that all these 3.0 tech dorks have is that they don't know how to word their ideas in a way that is in any way shape or form understandable to ppl that don't log on and post Gm :) in 3,271 crypto discords bc if you dont do that you are a NGMI loser normie

p sure it's talking about twitter itself and mDAU is mean daily active users, not some variant of DAO, the crypto thing

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The DAU is actually the "Dümmster Anzunehmender User", the dumbest user scenario. If the ratio of absolute gobshites falls below a critical level Twitter can no longer operate, so it's one of their most carefully monitored metrics.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Antigravitas posted:

The DAU is actually the "Dümmster Anzunehmender User", the dumbest user scenario. If the ratio of absolute gobshites falls below a critical level Twitter can no longer operate, so it's one of their most carefully monitored metrics.

i really hope someone germanic named that or else they should just call it the "oh god we're hosed threshold"

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

My chromebook now has grammar check, which is nice for people that need it. But I despise grammar check because it's never pointed out anything useful, and instead annoys me with the dumb squiggly blue line.

The dumb thing is that you can't just turn off grammar check. Instead, it's a big switch that turns off both grammar and spell checking.

On a related note, Google has "enhanced spell checking" that requires you to send all your typed text to Google. This seems like a security nightmare.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Google is awful in general. Google is utterly convinced their machine translations are good, so they automatically translate video titles on youtube at random. You can't turn that off either.

They also think their automatic transcriptions are good.

So they automatically transcribe German into absolute gibberish, then mangle it through their machine translation into complete nonsense.

It's a complete clown show.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

at least this will finally get me to remember that there's only one c in recommend and two cs in succor

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i'd guess the cloud spellcheck is the same general technique apple uses though, where they send home a cryptographic hash of a text fragment (usually a word) along with a single/few unencrypted bits from a position of the word derived from the device id. so e.g. for words/phrases only you use they will only ever know it has hash 91e4a58.. and bit number 27 is a 1, while if enough people use the word they can reconstruct it.

at least it has no real downsides while giving some privacy for really unique bits.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

sb hermit posted:

My chromebook now has grammar check, which is nice for people that need it. But I despise grammar check because it's never pointed out anything useful, and instead annoys me with the dumb squiggly blue line.

The dumb thing is that you can't just turn off grammar check. Instead, it's a big switch that turns off both grammar and spell checking.

On a related note, Google has "enhanced spell checking" that requires you to send all your typed text to Google. This seems like a security nightmare.

i hate grammar and spell checking (and autocorrect most of all). the google one flags split infinitives and that bugs the poo poo out of me

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

sb hermit posted:

at least this will finally get me to remember that there's only one c in recommend and two cs in succor

how many times a day are you writing succour?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

infernal machines posted:

he needs a lot of help, okay?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 21 minutes!

Antigravitas posted:

Google is awful in general.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

infernal machines posted:

not as much as I recommend you succor deez nuts

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

sorry, I couldn't help it

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Antigravitas posted:

Google is awful in general. Google is utterly convinced their machine translations are good, so they automatically translate video titles on youtube at random. You can't turn that off either.

They also think their automatic transcriptions are good.

So they automatically transcribe German into absolute gibberish, then mangle it through their machine translation into complete nonsense.

It's a complete clown show.

Do they count on human beings to correct their bad machine translations so it can learn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animist
Aug 28, 2018
nah they got rid of the feature that allowed humans to transcribe things after they convinced themselves their ai was good enough to not need any more training data