Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Not coincidentally, their machine translations and transcriptions have not improved one quantum since they did that.

Like, let's turn to a classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOciDL6TbCM

Turn on subtitles and auto-translate to English.

It manages to translate individual words sometimes, but usually doesn't. It's a dumb idiot translation by just picking words from a dictionary, usually the wrong ones. My favourite is translating "am Arsch!" (…my rear end!) as "arch".

(That rant is absolutely legendary btw.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Antigravitas posted:

Not coincidentally, their machine translations and transcriptions have not improved one quantum since they did that.

Like, let's turn to a classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOciDL6TbCM

Turn on subtitles and auto-translate to English.

It manages to translate individual words sometimes, but usually doesn't. It's a dumb idiot translation by just picking words from a dictionary, usually the wrong ones. My favourite is translating "am Arsch!" (…my rear end!) as "arch".

(That rant is absolutely legendary btw.)

lol, my german is absolutely awful since i learned it as a teenager by chatting with rad eurohackers and it's still better than that poo poo

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Antigravitas posted:

Google is awful in general. Google is utterly convinced their machine translations are good, so they automatically translate video titles on youtube at random. You can't turn that off either.

They also think their automatic transcriptions are good.

So they automatically transcribe German into absolute gibberish, then mangle it through their machine translation into complete nonsense.

It's a complete clown show.

Google has become a company i only interact with if there's absolutely no other alternatives

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
at least during that brief time they did accept user translations we got a professional grade swiss german -> english translation for that video of the dude narrating his "what if i lick all of my 500 anime girl figurines" experiment

like, you could mostly get the gist of the video even without it, but that really took the video to the next level

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

“smart selection” in microsoft products that always selects a whole word and even the space after the word in outlook, which really messes up copy and pasting zoom meeting passwords, and it's a seperate setting in every office program and the setting is in a completely different spot in outlook

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
It’s pretty hosed up that production companies that can afford it will skimp on the closed captioning

It’s cool if I’m just watching Jim’s random motorcycle repair or whatever, but channels or whatever that bring in millions should maybe not be so loving exclusive

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
thanks for attending my tedx talk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
I feel like the automatic transcriptions are just cheap excuse to not have cc