Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Antigravitas posted:

The DAU is actually the "Dümmster Anzunehmender User", the dumbest user scenario. If the ratio of absolute gobshites falls below a critical level Twitter can no longer operate, so it's one of their most carefully monitored metrics.

i really hope someone germanic named that or else they should just call it the "oh god we're hosed threshold"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

sb hermit posted:

My chromebook now has grammar check, which is nice for people that need it. But I despise grammar check because it's never pointed out anything useful, and instead annoys me with the dumb squiggly blue line.

The dumb thing is that you can't just turn off grammar check. Instead, it's a big switch that turns off both grammar and spell checking.

On a related note, Google has "enhanced spell checking" that requires you to send all your typed text to Google. This seems like a security nightmare.

i hate grammar and spell checking (and autocorrect most of all). the google one flags split infinitives and that bugs the poo poo out of me

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

infernal machines posted:

how many times a day are you writing succour?

he needs a lot of help, okay?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Antigravitas posted:

Not coincidentally, their machine translations and transcriptions have not improved one quantum since they did that.

Like, let's turn to a classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOciDL6TbCM

Turn on subtitles and auto-translate to English.

It manages to translate individual words sometimes, but usually doesn't. It's a dumb idiot translation by just picking words from a dictionary, usually the wrong ones. My favourite is translating "am Arsch!" (…my rear end!) as "arch".

(That rant is absolutely legendary btw.)

lol, my german is absolutely awful since i learned it as a teenager by chatting with rad eurohackers and it's still better than that poo poo