Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ya I wonder if any hockey fans could tell me what it feels like to have two 100 point forwards leave in the same offseason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

it's not good Darude my friend, not good.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

ThinkTank posted:

You're too recently out of the sadness club to not recognize how off you are here. There is nothing worst sports wise than getting that close and falling short. I would've preferred Canucks were swept in the first round because I would've been able to forget about it rather than have it haunt me for the last decade.

Yeah that one year after the Pens lost in the Cup Final in '08 was torturous.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Misanthrope posted:

it's not good Darude my friend, not good.

one was Matt Tkachuk so it was in fact, kind of good

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit

23 new posts something must have happened no wait just non Leafs fans talking about the Leafs again. Carry on.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's not our fault the Leafs are so entertaining!

I could actually see them making some noise and maybe even win a round or two if they fire Keefe midseason. But they probably will never go past the second round at best as long as Shanahan and Dubas are there.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

The more you temper a stick, the stronger it becomes

Fun Shoe

I really want to predict the Leafs to win the Cup because they have a great roster but good grief that goaltending is not gonna get it done. I don't know what Dubas was thinking. I don't think it will phase them much in the regular season but I can't see that goalie platoon winning 4 straight series unless Matt Murray has a major resurgence.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

When asked about why he acquired Murray over just signing Campbell (since the AAV is so similar) Dubas said the issue was term. Term was also reported to be why they couldn’t sign Kuemper, the Leafs offered $6M AAV but wouldn’t go five years on the deal.

It’s worth noting that when Murray’s deal expires the Leafs only have 4 players under contract. If I had to guess I’d assume that Shanahan knows Dubas is on thin ice and the organization is restricting his ability to sign long-term deals that a successor would have a hard time getting rid of.

I can understand the gamble on Murray given the options, Kuemper is 32 and just had his eye gouged out, Campbell is 30 and has never been healthy or effective over a full season + playoffs. Five years for those guys at starter value is probably not gonna look great towards the end of the contract. The main issue is not getting him for cheaper so they could sign a more stable backup option, and the Leafs don’t have an heir apparent in their system either.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

That's an insane reason not to sign a better goaltender. All their best players are either walking or going to go up in price in the next 2-3 years and the cap is more than likely going way up in the 2024 offseason (like 10 million a year up or something like that). And if they won't allow Dubas to sign someone to term, just fire him.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Feel free to take Grubauer off Seattle’s hands

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

You're too recently out of the sadness club to not recognize how off you are here. There is nothing worst sports wise than getting that close and falling short. I would've preferred Canucks were swept in the first round because I would've been able to forget about it rather than have it haunt me for the last decade.

Idk, Summer 2021 was pretty cool in Montreal. I'll always have fond memories of that stupid run. Game 1 of the SCF made it clear that the party was over, but that was fine. It even started the chain of events that led to it all being burned down, as a nice bonus.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Leafs should just be getting the best players regardless of age. What future are they building to? 24 months from now Matthews could, and at this point likely will, be playing somewhere else. I'm beating a dead horse at this point but man what is the hesitation in Toronto outside of a general Eeyore-esque sense that nothing good can happen so why bother?

neoaxd posted:

Idk, Summer 2021 was pretty cool in Montreal. I'll always have fond memories of that stupid run. Game 1 of the SCF made it clear that the party was over, but that was fine. It even started the chain of events that led to it all being burned down, as a nice bonus.

I'm sure I'd feel much the same way if my team had a long history of repeatedly winning the cup. It's very different when they don't do it ever.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

That's a fair point.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

The Leafs being bounced out of the first round of the playoffs in a funny way for the past 5 years has brought me joy while the Sens have been an unwatchable trashfire during that span, so I almost have a soft spot for T.O now

Their goalies this year are Matt Murray and Ilya Samsonov, I want to send Dubas a fruit basket

Not Important
Sep 13, 2017

It was much too big to be called a fishstick.
Too big, too thick, too heavy, and too rough.
Indeed, it was more like a heap of raw cod.

https://twitter.com/JamesNicholsNYI/status/1557037137291362311

I think Kadri would be a good get, but rumblings are that we'd be letting go of Bailey and/or Beauvillier to fit him in. Not sure how I feel about that.

Also, $7m per year until he's 38? That's Our Lou!™

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

39. He turns 32 in early October.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Oldest team in the league gets older!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I respect him deciding one cup is plenty.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

I respect him deciding one cup is plenty.

That’s an ovechtrick

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It's a lot lower than the rumored ask but even so, it'd still be the richest contract a 31 year-old center has ever signed so that's still good going for his agent.

In fact, here are all the players who managed to sign a $45+ million contract at age 30 or older:

Sergei Bobrovsky, Alex Pietrangelo, Marc Vlasic, Brent Burns, Nicklas Backstrom, Alex Ovechkin, TJ Oshie

Kadri would be enshrining himself among some elite contract-signing talent here.

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 9, 2022

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Lou is likely just waiting to announce deals for Barzal, Dobson, Kadri and Romanov all at once so he can continue to think of himself as the great puppet master behind the scenes.

Not Important
Sep 13, 2017

It was much too big to be called a fishstick.
Too big, too thick, too heavy, and too rough.
Indeed, it was more like a heap of raw cod.

ThinkTank posted:

Lou is likely just waiting to announce deals for Barzal, Dobson, Kadri and Romanov all at once so he can continue to think of himself as the great puppet master behind the scenes.

"you evah see da movie postah fuh da gawdfathuh? dat's me. i'm da hands pullin' da puppet strings. an' i'm also brando at da same time. i dunno how it woiks eithuh. now get da hell outta my awffice"

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Not Important posted:

"you evah see da movie postah fuh da gawdfathuh? dat's me. i'm da hands pullin' da puppet strings. an' i'm also brando at da same time. i dunno how it woiks eithuh. now get da hell outta my awffice"

He said, into a rotary phone that isn't plugged into anything.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

And may your first draft pick be a masculine draft pick.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It's weird that Trouba has gone from "that guy who forced his way off a poo poo team to maximize the earning potential of his weird vanity brand" to captain material

ehhh what?

Rumor was always that he was unhappy with Maurice constantly playing him on his off side and that his girlfriend didn't have good job opportunities or some such in Winnipeg.

Trouba's overpaid but I think he's also kind of a weird spot where like, he's not as bad as people want to try to make him out to be, and he appeals to coaches and the traditional hockey sense of a "tough hard hitting defenseman who brings intangibles" but unlike a lot of those guy he really isn't just useless

So, I dunno, I like him. He makes dumb mistakes sometimes but plays hard minutes and brings something that the team was lacking that they definitely needed in the playoffs. He's also signed to a deal that takes him through his prime years and ends before he really falls off a cliff age wise so even if he stayed with the Rangers the contract is better than it looks at first glance

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Levitate posted:

ehhh what?

Rumor was always that he was unhappy with Maurice constantly playing him on his off side and that his girlfriend didn't have good job opportunities or some such in Winnipeg.

Trouba's overpaid but I think he's also kind of a weird spot where like, he's not as bad as people want to try to make him out to be, and he appeals to coaches and the traditional hockey sense of a "tough hard hitting defenseman who brings intangibles" but unlike a lot of those guy he really isn't just useless

So, I dunno, I like him. He makes dumb mistakes sometimes but plays hard minutes and brings something that the team was lacking that they definitely needed in the playoffs. He's also signed to a deal that takes him through his prime years and ends before he really falls off a cliff age wise so even if he stayed with the Rangers the contract is better than it looks at first glance

Just ignore any Pens fans opinions on noted war criminal Jacob Trouba

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Judging from RAS Trouba seems to have also concussed them as well

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

https://youtu.be/rl2CDM4f_YI

Posting without context

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/FitzGSN_/status/1526043454320652291

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/64MOTTE/status/1557083653104074757

Hahahahah

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Leafs should just be getting the best players regardless of age. What future are they building to? 24 months from now Matthews could, and at this point likely will, be playing somewhere else. I'm beating a dead horse at this point but man what is the hesitation in Toronto outside of a general Eeyore-esque sense that nothing good can happen so why bother?

I should be clear I’m not agreeing with the entire approach, this is just what I can piece together from what people in the org have said and what seems to be happening with the contract structure.

I will say I think it’s very revisionist/goalpost moving to be talking about Campbell/Kuemper as obvious choices when just last year people were talking about how crazy/stupid it was for teams like Colorado and Toronto to be going with them as starters. Campbell was fine but not great, Kuemper was barely present and also fine but not great, the idea that those guys aren’t fungible and are now “safe” starters doesn’t make sense to me.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

The more you temper a stick, the stronger it becomes

Fun Shoe

You keep it up I'm gonna post some Pens cups in here

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Ginette Reno posted:

You keep it up I'm gonna post some Pens cups in here

5 years ago, get over it Grandpa :wal:

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Rangers fans posting like they've won a trophy lmao. Not even on the Islanders level of 'success'. Adorable.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

~deal with it~

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Hey are we posting Metro teams who have won a Cup recently?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

um excuse you losers

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Rangers fans posting like they've won a trophy lmao. Not even on the Islanders level of 'success'. Adorable.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

The X-Files will return in a moment.

rex rabidorum vires posted:

And certainly nowhere near the level of success of Jack Mother loving Johnson

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

I thought I blocked HFBoards on my browser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Rags-Pens was a good series though