Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I say do it so we can see him try his darnedest to smile like a human one last time.

Put this goofball in the hall, you monsters!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I've said it before but don't. If nothing else, imagine how socially awkward that acceptance speech would be.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Marleau's career numbers are really funny. Almost 1800 games but not even 1200 points. The ultimate compiler.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

At a requirement of 4-5 a year and science inevitably creating a way for players to play well into their 60s, eventually they'll have no choice but to add undeserving guys like Marleau, Mike Cammalleri or Dave Andreychuk.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

At a requirement of 4-5 a year and science inevitably creating a way for players to play well into their 60s, eventually they'll have no choice but to add undeserving guys like Marleau, Mike Cammalleri or Dave Andreychuk.

I mean at least Andreychuk had multiple 50 goal seasons. Although it is funny that both times, he fell a pt short of 100.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
https://twitter.com/Mariia19/status/1559536832156782594

"Portrait of Francisco Lezcano", Diego Velázquez, 1645

Drafted first overall, 2015

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Ginette Reno posted:

Marleau's career numbers are really funny. Almost 1800 games but not even 1200 points. The ultimate compiler.

I dunno, I like my compilers to generate more efficient machine code.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Albino Squirrel posted:

https://twitter.com/Mariia19/status/1559536832156782594

"Portrait of Francisco Lezcano", Diego Velázquez, 1645

Drafted first overall, 2015

And here we were worried about Forsberg's real age.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

McDavid being an ageless vampire would at least make the interior design choices a little more understandable

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I mean at least Andreychuk had multiple 50 goal seasons. Although it is funny that both times, he fell a pt short of 100.

Yeah but that was an era when 50 goals was more analogous to 40 goals post-1996. They are really similar careers, except Andreychuk got a Cup at the end and Marleau didn't.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

Matt Cullen played over 1500 games and barely scraped over 700

Shane Doan also hit 1500 and didn't crack the 1000 point mark.

They appear to be the only 2 forwards to pull that off, impressively.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Marleau was way better than Andreychuk ever was

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Yes but consider Jerrod Smithson, who played 606 NHL games, scored less than 100 points, and didn’t even have very many penalty minutes. Truly a wonder.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

God bless good old Ron Stewart who played 1353 games and managed 529 points. He was a centre. His career highlight is that he drunkenly beat Terry Sawchuk so badly he suffered an anyerusm a few days later and died.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Dan carcillo coming in with a clean 100 points on a dirty as gently caress 429 gp.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/freeagentwally/status/1559617691136270340?s=21&t=8OsZ-39B_XdbpBnekL0pzQ

Please don’t trade Ridly :smith:

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

That's a lotta scratch for an ok top-4 defenceman.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
JMFJ rides again (towards a #1 overall pick “winning” season)

https://twitter.com/Peter_Baugh/status/1559738082492047360

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

I'm really excited to find out what the islanders' offseason moves were on the first day of training camp when we see who does and doesn't show up to practice

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Bard Maddox posted:

... Why?

Oh, right, his parents!... :smith:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Bard Maddox posted:

This sucks, Blackhawks are officially winning the biggest tank award.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Cocaine Bear posted:

... Why?

Oh, right, his parents!... :smith:

Luckily I'm pretty sure he's well past the point of qualifying for NHLPA pension so as long as he's saved some pennies he should be okay

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

My memories of JMFJbefore he came to Colorado was "didn't he play for Pittsburgh and the Kings? I guess you may as well try for another cup" only to read up his playing history and see he got traded before the 2012 playoffs and didn't join the Pens until 2018.

I bet the contract with Chicago won't even crack a million, and knowing what happened with his parents I do feel bad for the guy. I mean, I'm not saying we need to retire his number, he's no Ray Bourque, but at least we got him something to be happy for before going to Chicago :unsmith:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Aces High posted:

My memories of JMFJbefore he came to Colorado was "didn't he play for Pittsburgh and the Kings? I guess you may as well try for another cup" only to read up his playing history and see he got traded before the 2012 playoffs and didn't join the Pens until 2018.

I bet the contract with Chicago won't even crack a million, and knowing what happened with his parents I do feel bad for the guy. I mean, I'm not saying we need to retire his number, he's no Ray Bourque, but at least we got him something to be happy for before going to Chicago :unsmith:

Does the NHL do a cash prize for the cup winner still?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

From what I could gather JMFJ’s bankruptcy settlement in 2016 took a portion of his income up to the 20-21 season. He made 750k last year and it seems this Chicago deal will be 950k. Don’t know how his Pittsburgh buyout factors into all of this. He will never get the millions back that he would have had but I think he is doing just fine at this point but on the other hand I don’t know if that settlement covered all of his debt or not.

Like I’ve said before, he will have a job in the NHL as long as he isn’t injured beyond repair. GMs love JMFJ.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

He's fine as a 7th/8th Defenseman. On the Blackhawks he may be their 4th dman which is pretty yikes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"yikes" describes everything about that team though so he'll fit right in.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Does the NHL do a cash prize for the cup winner still?

All playoff teams get playoff cash with the Stanley Cup winner getting the most, yes

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Simplex posted:

He's fine as a 7th/8th Defenseman. On the Blackhawks he may be their 4th dman which is pretty yikes.

They’re actively tanking so this is a perfectly good signing for them.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I do not like the idea of the Hawks getting to replace Kane with his near exact double in Connor Bedard.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

I do not like the idea of the Hawks getting to replace Kane with his near exact double in Connor Bedard.

Very curious what kind of player Bedard will turn into in the NHL. He's pretty tiny, but I don't think he has Kane's playmaking/vision. Maybe not his hands either. What he does have is one of the most outrageous releases I've seen in a long time. His shot already seems NHL good. His skating looks good but doesn't blow me away.

So what is his ceiling? I can't think of a comparable superstar to him. I feel like Kane has much more of a playmaking bent than Bedard does.

I have no doubt he'll turn into a star but I wonder just how dominant he'll become. When I think of other generational players they usually have a quality that sets them apart from everybody else. With McDavid, it's the skating/hands. Crosby, edgework/strength/handeye. With Bedard I guess his generational gimmick will be his shot, but the last player to come along like that other than Matthews is Ovechkin and Ovechkin backed the shot up with size, strength, and the most imposing physicality since Lindros.

So yeah, very curious to see what Bedard becomes or what else will set him apart aside from the absurd wrist shot he's got.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 17, 2022

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ThinkTank posted:

Let’s hope he is not exactly exactly like, Kane, specifically off the ice.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

[Heartwarming] Watch Conor Bedard take an Uber ride with grandfather who needs Christmas presents for his 17 grandchildren. You won't believe what happens next!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Bedard to me compares pretty closely to Kane. His skill level is as high as anyone not named McDavid and his shot is very good. I think people underrate his playmaking because it's certainly not his first thought off the rush but he is a very high level passer. He's more of a goalscorer than Kane but they have very much the same possession based approach in the attacking half. It's easy to compare him to someone like Brayden Point given their size and position, but stylistically they're very different. Bedard loves to gain the zone with possession and and then defer to a teammate to find a hole in the ice for a shot. He'll dangle guys with reckless abandon and then somehow go completely invisible for six seconds before reappearing right by the net. It's very impressive.

He's not McDavid and probably won't be a consistent 100pt guy in the NHL. McDavid is such a unique combination of size, speed and skill that no one is. I'd guess he'll end up in that second tier of stars. Somewhere between Johnny Gaudreau and Mitch Marner say.

He will be a competent ppg guy that can run a powerplay and will electrify fans. He's one of the most entertaining players to ever lace them up and he's a surefire star in that regard. His size likely holds him back but he's elusive and quick enough that it won't be too much. Teams will probably try and shift him to RW at least at first but he's defensively competent enough to be a centre.

He's not going to be a top ten scorer at 18 or anything but you have to figure a 1000pt career is his floor.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

ThinkTank posted:

Please do not put Marleau in the HHOF. He broke 80 points twice in 23 seasons. His only exemplary skills were not getting injured too often and always being sufficiently useful to avoid being out of the league entirely.

His highest individual honour was a 3rd place finish for the Lady Byng in 2006.

We should put more Lady Byng winners in the Hall, IMO, like 2014-15 winner, Jiri Hudler.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Ginette Reno posted:

Very curious what kind of player Bedard will turn into in the NHL. He's pretty tiny, but I don't think he has Kane's playmaking/vision. Maybe not his hands either. What he does have is one of the most outrageous releases I've seen in a long time. His shot already seems NHL good. His skating looks good but doesn't blow me away.

So what is his ceiling? I can't think of a comparable superstar to him. I feel like Kane has much more of a playmaking bent than Bedard does.

I have no doubt he'll turn into a star but I wonder just how dominant he'll become. When I think of other generational players they usually have a quality that sets them apart from everybody else. With McDavid, it's the skating/hands. Crosby, edgework/strength/handeye. With Bedard I guess his generational gimmick will be his shot, but the last player to come along like that other than Matthews is Ovechkin and Ovechkin backed the shot up with size, strength, and the most imposing physicality since Lindros.

So yeah, very curious to see what Bedard becomes or what else will set him apart aside from the absurd wrist shot he's got.

Sounds more like Stamkos than anyone when described like that. I thought Bedard was an elite skater though.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

Bedard to me compares pretty closely to Kane. His skill level is as high as anyone not named McDavid and his shot is very good. I think people underrate his playmaking because it's certainly not his first thought off the rush but he is a very high level passer. He's more of a goalscorer than Kane but they have very much the same possession based approach in the attacking half. It's easy to compare him to someone like Brayden Point given their size and position, but stylistically they're very different. Bedard loves to gain the zone with possession and and then defer to a teammate to find a hole in the ice for a shot. He'll dangle guys with reckless abandon and then somehow go completely invisible for six seconds before reappearing right by the net. It's very impressive.

He's not McDavid and probably won't be a consistent 100pt guy in the NHL. McDavid is such a unique combination of size, speed and skill that no one is. I'd guess he'll end up in that second tier of stars. Somewhere between Johnny Gaudreau and Mitch Marner say.

He will be a competent ppg guy that can run a powerplay and will electrify fans. He's one of the most entertaining players to ever lace them up and he's a surefire star in that regard. His size likely holds him back but he's elusive and quick enough that it won't be too much. Teams will probably try and shift him to RW at least at first but he's defensively competent enough to be a centre.

He's not going to be a top ten scorer at 18 or anything but you have to figure a 1000pt career is his floor.

Kane might be the closest I guess it just seems like Bedard is a little more focused on the shot than Kane is. Which is not to say he can't pass, he seems pretty complete as an offensive player, but he looks like a guy who might be a little more balanced on the goalscoring/playmaking front than Kane is. Kane can score, but has always been pass first.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Sounds more like Stamkos than anyone when described like that. I thought Bedard was an elite skater though.

Stamkos is big though and got really gassed up after his rookie year. He's a tank now.

Bedard is a very good skater but I don't think his speed is going to intimidate anyone. Good agility and edgework though

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Compared to McDavid he is quite pedestrian, but so is everyone. He is certainly a top 5% skater. It's also worth noting that despite everything he has dominated older players at every single level he's played.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

Compared to McDavid he is quite pedestrian, but so is everyone. He is certainly a top 5% skater. It's also worth noting that despite everything he has dominated older players at every single level he's played.

Yeah his 16 year old season was pretty exceptional.

I think there's no doubt he's gonna own. Just a question of how much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I feel like just before their respective drafts people were downplaying Crosby and McDavid as well