Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
My Selections for round 1

CAL over DAL in 7
This is the closest thing to an upset I'm predicting in the west.. Stars tend to punch above their weight in the playoffs, but can't get it done against a much better opponent. The Stars have lost to the eventual Stanley Cup champion in each of their previous two playoff appearances, could this be a 3rd in a row?

COL over NSH in 5
Probably the biggest mismatch in round one in terms of talent disparity, I'll give Nashville credit for 1 win at home since that arena of theirs is usually rocking in the playoffs.

EDM over LAK in 4
I actually don't think this series will end up particularly close. Edmonton is a far superior roster, the LA Kings are arguably the weakest team to make the playoffs. I just don't see them preventing that top Edmonton line from going off.

MIN over STL in 5
Another series which I think is going to be shorter than people think.. Minnesota does everything St. Louis does but better.. St. Louis has been riding insane goaltending AND shooting percentage to their high point total, I think that stops now.

FLA over WSH in 7
I came very close to predicting the Washington victory here. I don't like the Panthers goaltending or blueline, and they have a history of falling flat on their face in the playoffs. I think it's very likely that this could be the big upset of the first round but I'll give the Panthers credit for one series win.

TOR over TB in 7
Kind of similar view of this series as the FLA/WSH series.. I think on paper Toronto should win, so I'll give it to them.

PIT over NYR in 6
Rangers are coming along and might be a cup contender some day but I think much like the Blues you are looking at a team that has ridden the percentages to a first round matchup with a team that is fundamentally much stronger. Unlike the Blues the Rangers atleast have home ice going for them. I'll give them credit for that extra victory but I can't see this one going past 6.

BOS over CAR in 5
Carolina kind of had a blessed season this year where everything broke their way, in the playoffs I'll take the Bruins who are even more of an analytics monster than the Canes, plus they have an actual track record of winning in the post season. Frederik Andersen reverts back to being human and the Bruins bounce them out quick.

***the west really is a joke.. that could honestly be four series that end in 4 or 5 games. The East is where all the intrigue is at so far as I can tell, at least in round 1.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 09:17 on May 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

hmm me and T-Bone were the two morons who trusted the Oilers.. well at least I'm in good company under that big ol red X.

Games tonight were fun even though some of them were blowouts.. hope tomorrow's games live up to that energy.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

well I was right about the Stars taking their series to game 7 :)

As bad as that team is, you can always count on them to scam a few games out of much better teams lol.. If it was Colorado they'd also be going to game 7 on the weekend :D