Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'll do the red Xs again but if you can include in your posts formatting In the same order like my prediction here it would be helpful. And add a goals scored in the first round for 5 points a hail mary prediction worth 25 points for cup winning team in X games.

Avs in 5
Blues in 6
Flames in 4
Oilers in 5

Panthers in 5
Lightning in 6
Hurricanes in 4
Rangers in 7

Goals scored: 294
Cup final: Oilers in 5

I'll do the RNG, but if anybody has an animal or toddler intelligent enough to point at pictures, that would be an acceptable submission as well. DJExile starts at -2 because his team abbreviations gave me an aneurysm.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dawn of the final day: 24 hours remain.

I'll do a check for mistakes once everyone is in, but if you see one let me know and i'll correct it.

Here's where we stand now. If someone picked the Preds, stars, capitals, and Leafs in 4, they could build an insurmountable lead if the teams they're facing all encountered various catastrophes.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The die is a madman.

I had to usurp some "flames in 6 space" to preserve the framing of the spreadsheet.

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you all want I can ask my 5 year old nephew for his picks tomorrow. He's a big Auston Matthews fan so he'll pick the Leafs to win the Cup.

That would be cool, see who can predict hockey worse than a literal 5 year old.

Hopefully sportsnet does another insiders predictions so we can see who can predict better than a literal Elliotte Friedman

Powershift fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 2, 2022

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The playoffs have started! Good turnout this year.

Please check that i entered your predictions correctly. The charts this year are alphabetical!

CBJSprague24 posted:

Man, I knew the playoffs were coming, but the appearance of The Red X Spreadsheet really cements it.

It's like when they start saying The Cup Is In The Building and I'm imagining Powershift handling this with white gloves.

That's why it hurt so much to have to do this.

Wonderllama posted:

Boston in 6
Carolina in 6

Which one of these is supposed to be New York?

Eric the Mauve posted:

Five-year-old nephew's picks with commentary:

Thanks, it's really going to make things interesting, They've got some good picks.

kalensc posted:

Ya know what, Leafs in 7, why not

Historically quite a poor choice.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mad props to JawKnee, who took the first Red X of the 2022 playoffs solo.

In honour of this accomplishment, Today's red is #cc0000, Carolina Hurricanes red.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 07:14 on May 3, 2022

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

In honour of the Capitals surprise win, today's X's are #C8102E, Washington Capitals red.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

As today is May the 4th(be with you) today's Xs are #EB212E, Lightsaber Red.

Nobody got Xed on the other 2 sheets.

Mad props to furnaceface for already collecting 3 red X's in 3 days. A Rangers loss tomorrow could make it 4.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

In Celebration of Cinco de Mayo, Today's red is #CE1126, from the flag of Mexico.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

I forgot to put a number of games on my Blues/Wild series but I meant Blues in seven. I don't think my intention was to call a four game sweep by the Blues "the best series of the first round."

Preeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettty pretty convenient to only bring it up once the Blues finally lose :colbert:

I'ved move it but i ultimately don't think it's going to matter after seeing their last game.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Today's red is #da291c, Quebec Nordiques red, just because.

Getting big X-ey in here.

Still X-less:

deoju
FunOne
Mind_Taker

24 games in, we are at 149 goals scored. There fewest possible games remaining is 15, the highest number of possible games remaining is 32.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 8, 2022

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Points!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

I can't keep this buried deep down inside my soul any longer........ there are actually two Rs in "Hurricanes".

Woah, when did this become the spelling bee thread. :colbert:

We're at 259 goals scored already with between 7 and 14 games left. If all 7 leaders win their next game, we will match last year's game total. The last year with 7 6+ game series was 2010 When Detroit, Montreal, Vancouver, Chicago, San Jose, and Philadelphia all won their playoff series. Buffalo, New Jersey, Ottawa, and Phoenix were knocked out in the first round.

The last time Toronto won a playoff round in fewer than 7 games was April 2001. Since then, the Ipod was both launched, and discontinued.

e: lot of missing guesses here, so for points i'll do 3 for dead on, 2 for closest, 1 for the two above and below the closest.

Blue arrow is the current count.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 12, 2022

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Congrats to Cocaine Bear on 2 straight green boxes and on deck for 2 more with Lightning and Oilers wins on sunday.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Still without a goose egg:

Arivia
clean ayers act
Cocaine Bear
Duckman2008
fawning deference
Ginette Reno
heehee
HookShot
Koopa Kid
Mr. Kite
OldSenileGuy
Powershift
T-Bone
Wonderllama

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

e: never mind lol

also for the record I thought we were doing # of goals for the entire playoffs lol

I figured but you might still get a point out of it. There are enough missing guesses in that category, i think I'll score it 3 points for dead on, 2 for closest, 1 each for second closest. The hail mary is also missing a bunch of guesses and most of them are either Avs in 6, so maybe 5 points for dead on? I don't want to give too much weight to something people missed.

My idea for points:

Round 1: 4-3-2-1 for 32 possible points
Round 2: 6-5-4-3 for 24 possible points
Round 3: 8-7-6-5 for 16 possible points
Final: 10-9-8-7 for 10 possible points.

It weights the rounds a little better without putting too many into a single series or penalizing early success. Any objections/suggestions?

e: some fun for our players who haven't got a team wrong yet. The teams they picked, bold is a game 7 pick.

The 5 year old has 4 X-less predictions but is currently without a point
goldrush, GuavaMoment Mind_Taker, and The Black Stones have three X-less predictions
11 people are fully Xed, but not pointless

fisting by many's panthers in 4 guess is missing from the Red Xs but has been correctly placed and accounted for in the spreadsheet.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 14, 2022

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Two more green boxen for Cocaine Bear, although their last 2 for the round

Still without a zero, unless the Penguins and Starts both win, somebody will go 8 for 8

Current standings

Powershift fucked around with this message at 06:51 on May 15, 2022

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

fermun posted:

Powershift is running it all and is still without a zero, huh? Very suspicious. What do you have on the NHL refs?

I'm holding their glasses and whistles hostage unless they give me red X points.

Also, despite guessing 6 correct series winners so far, i'm still losing to 11 people who haven't. I also have only 5 potential points left to score

e:
Only clean ayers act can surpass Cocaine Bear if both Penguins and Flames win
Koopa Kid and Darude can tie him if both the Penguins and Flames win

Powershift fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 15, 2022

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

OldSenileGuy posted:

How many goals have been scored? I need to know how many goals can be scored tomorrow and still have me win the bonus points :smuggo:

316, so you would need 1 goal tomorrow to be the closest.

between 2 games, it seems unlikely.

Unless 9 goals are scored, you're the second closest.

fermun posted:

bonus points are mine, old man!

Unless 7 goals are scored between the two games. in which case you would only get 1.

If exactly 5 goals total are scored, you get 3 points though

Powershift fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 15, 2022

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

:siren::siren::siren:

For the second round please include somewhere in your post the predictions in this format including the total penalty minutes assessed in the second round including game misconducts and such. This will be determined by dumping the nhl stats sheet to spreadsheet and summing the column, subtracting the first rounds numbers.

Avalanche in 5
Oilers in 6
Panthers in 7
Rangers in 6
PIM: 269

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Lol at posting this before Dallas vs Calgary is over (and probably correct).

It’s either Dallas or a team that barely beat Dallas.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 16, 2022

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Drumroll please

Powershift and fawning deference both got all 8 teams correct and each get 100 bonus points.
The 5 year old went 4 for 4 on the last 4 games

Powershift posted:

For the second round please include somewhere in your post the predictions in this format including the total penalty minutes assessed in the second round including game misconducts and such. This will be determined by dumping the nhl stats sheet to spreadsheet and summing the column, subtracting the first rounds numbers.

Avalanche in 5
Oilers in 6
Panthers in 7
Rangers in 6
PIM: 269

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Misanthrope posted:

I'm surprised at some of the low PIMs guesses... a game that gets out of control can easily exceed 100 PIM.

Like I think I'm light at 380... but I'm also not very good at predicting this sport.

I might have started low putting low numbers into people’s heads, and it feels like a dick move to change it. In the First round there were over 1200. The dirtiest team in the playoffs which was of course the maple leafs had 134 all on their own.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

22 hours to go until puck drop. Here's where we stand. If you see a mistake let me know.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Arivia posted:

Are the Hurriccanes extra thicc?

And okay up my PIMs guess to 600 sure

Yes

I'll chart up the PIM guesses once everything is going. If you edit your guess please strike out the old one and out the new one in your post.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

His Mike Smith assessment is questionable, but i like the rest of that.

We could theoretically get through 2 nights without anybody getting Xed.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Concurred posted:

gently caress! I forgot all about this! I'll never get rid of this title at this rate

It seems it could be evergreen at this point.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1 game away from the biggest red-X of the round and the smallest green box.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Carver posted:

big brain guessing here

That series did look the most like "experienced team sweeps green team" to me though

Regular season Panthers seemed like they had the talent to overcome that, though.

Here's your green box. Quite possibly the only solo Green box this year unless the Rangers come back and then sweep the lightning, because if the rangers make the ECF i'm putting them in 4.

Interesting stats from round 1, combined point percentage for guesses.

Overall: 51.36%

Last year's first round we were 48.47%

We're improving!

Powershift fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 24, 2022

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

fawning deference still hasn't gotten a series wrong. and is on the 3 side of the 3-1 series.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

Whereas I missed out on the Oilers prediction, I still won because I get my neighbourhood back. Well, at least until Stampede

Yeah, but at least then you can go get some deep fried peanut butter and jelly pickles or whatever the gently caress the stoners at the stampede food labs came up with this year.

ThinkTank posted:

I like to think I did pretty well with these predictions considering I made them before the start of the first round

I missed this, but those are 2 green boxes. I'll add the correct ones in for the calculations, but I can't imagine your third rounders are going to hold up.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Okey dokey.

And yeah, you nailed them.

fawning deference is now 11 for 11 on series called and on the verge of 12 for 12.

If the rangers/canes go to 7 there will only be one day between the end of the second round and the start of the third.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

fawning deference's streak comes to an end at 11 series called
triple sulk guesses 4 for 4 in the second round, exactly 1 game off every time

Almost everybody were good boys and there were only 381 penalty minutes.

Closest:
Furnaceface - 369

runners up:
DO YALL WANT A BOXC - 368
Spelling Mitsake - 401

Team points percentages for round 2:
Oilers 25.15%
Lightning: 26.06%
Avalanche: 79.70%
Rangers: 27.27%
overall: 39.55%

goldrush posted:

gently caress I really need the rangers to win tonight, I'm nervous about getting green boxed for the first time this season. can't let that happen

Monkey's paw curls. 0 points.

Only like 21 hours until Game 1 of the next round, get em in

Powershift fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 31, 2022

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I forgot the bonus for rd 2 but i'll work it in there. Total was 381

:siren: Bonus for Round 3 is total saves in the round. :siren:

Oilers in 6
Rangers in 6
Total Saves: 924

Powershift fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 31, 2022

Powershift