Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Also, here's some dark comedy that I haven't seen posted yet:

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1521200928933744640

climate change - bad for the mob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

facialimpediment posted:

Also, here's some dark comedy that I haven't seen posted yet:

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1521200928933744640

climate change - bad for the mob

I’m about to do a big doomy post about Roe v. Wade being overturned but this reminds me of the urban legend about Jacques Cousteau taking a mini-sub into Lake Tahoe and finding dozens of victims of mob hits suspended in the depths, perfectly preserved since the frigid water inhibited decomposition.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

facialimpediment posted:

Bye.

https://twitter.com/joshgerstein/status/1521289548927545357

Been in pain for ~8 months, it's not getting better, and I wouldn't change a loving thing. Country more or less decided that buttery mails were worse than banning abortion access and here we are. And they're not going to stop at abortion limits.

Hey maybe they’ll repeal the NFA! :v:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Hey maybe they’ll repeal the NFA! :v:

They'll just succeed in repealing the Hughes Amendment, and you'll get to commit 10 felonies by crossing 2 state lines.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A.o.D. posted:

They'll just succeed in repealing the Hughes Amendment, and you'll get to commit 10 felonies by crossing 2 state lines.

I can accept that risk.

But if people could register new MGs…the weird and whacky poo poo you’d see would be interesting. Someone would probably find a way to make a mg out of a revolver. And also piles of glocks and ar/ak.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

maffew buildings posted:

I wouldn't worry Diamond Joe PROMISED to codify Roe v Wade :)

actual response gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress

That's another thing that's worrying me. The DNC has, for very nearly 50 years now, had the message that they're *ready* for SCOTUS going after Roe.

If that turns out to be horseshit and they have no plan whatsoever, I don't see how the Democratic party retains any of its already rapidly diminishing credibility.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Leaked DNC plan:

https://twitter.com/barackobama/status/1261004586359422979

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I guarantee you that the only thing being done in earnest right now on the DNC side is a knife fight for booking appearances on the Sunday morning talk shows.

Wrennic_26
Jul 9, 2009
Whenever threatening or dire news comes out that is not yet realized, remember your self.

You have the ability to act to improve your life, and others.

You need to stay live and well to act. Look after yourself, and fight entropy by deliberately acting to help yourself and others, even if only in small ways.

Break / break

Today my agency sent a note around — hey LGBT people on this email, we had a request to flag tag you so others know who they can look to for advice and help. Part of me, DADT veteran, thought ruh roh, that’s identifying, but then I thought twice.

gently caress you, identify me, if it helps anyone seeking a hand great. And if someone tries something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLvz5E61UNs

Good chance women in your life will have this news in their head tomorrow. Help them.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

If SCOTUS does in fact repeal Roe v. Wade, I think this is going to be one of those moments that survivors of this era look back and say "this is where mainstream politics failed." The last President, who rode into office under a cloud of suspected foreign interference and likely corrupt finances and whose presidential term was distinguished by repeated attempts to undermine the legitimacy of just about every institution and being the first person to be impeached twice, with the last time being for inciting a loving attempt to overturn the election that ousted him, appointed three Supreme Court justices hand-picked by rightist organizations with the intent that they would implement their political agenda. The person who succeeded him, a seemingly well-meaning but doddering septuagenarian who, during his time as a long-serving Senator and Vice-President, contributed in no small part to the political circumstances that gave rise to his predecessor's ascent and who at best could be described as a tourniquet placed somewhat effectively over the absolutely gushing arterial bleed that is our political system, continues to make paeans to decency and decorum as though shame might compel them to be the better angels among their party.

The right wing is changing and few people in power seem to get it. The right wing is not only the home of white supremacy, it's also the home of chauvinism, misogyny, homophobia and authoritarianism- all of which are unfortunately color-blind. It's no surprise to me that Democrats lost ground with Latino voters in the last election, or that the current leader of the Proud Boys is named Enrique Tarrio. The idea that Western civilization and the traditional power structure is under attack by effete liberal Democrats is something that has resonance among a lot of different groups, even if that traditional power structure has been their historical enemy. We're in a world that's changing rapidly due to social, cultural and environmental factors, and that's scary to a lot of people.

Roe won't be the end. The draft opinion against Roe also criticizes Lawrence v. Texas and Obergefell v. Hodge, and the current right-wing fixation on GROOMERS and PEDOPHILES in public education suggests that they'll work on undermining LGBT rights next, and from there, who knows what. The left, or what passes for it in this country, has to recognize two things: that the moral high ground of their arguments aren't enough to save them, and that the party that purports to represent them is absolutely incapable of doing so. It's too old, corporate and unimaginative to do so. If there's another Women's March on DC, the participants would be better advised to bring pitchforks and torches to demonstrate that they're not going down without a fight because it's clear that there is no executive or legislative savior waiting in the wings to save us.

Thanks for indulging my CSPAM posting, I needed to vent before I waterboard myself with bourbon tonight.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
There has been a billboard up near me for a "Notorious RBG" exhibit of some sort and I remember thinking "yeah she'll be notorious alright" :classiclol:

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

We need a strong Republican party.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DurosKlav posted:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m in too bad a mood to go look them up, but you all remember those articles like “hell yeah Democratic candidates who are anti-abortion are welcome in the party 🤗”.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

lol this owns

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The Democratic party is creaming its pants at how loving hard they're going to fundraise over this.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

pantslesswithwolves posted:

If SCOTUS does in fact repeal Roe v. Wade, I think this is going to be one of those moments that survivors of this era look back and say "this is where mainstream politics failed." The last President, who rode into office under a cloud of suspected foreign interference and likely corrupt finances and whose presidential term was distinguished by repeated attempts to undermine the legitimacy of just about every institution and being the first person to be impeached twice, with the last time being for inciting a loving attempt to overturn the election that ousted him, appointed three Supreme Court justices hand-picked by rightist organizations with the intent that they would implement their political agenda. The person who succeeded him, a seemingly well-meaning but doddering septuagenarian who, during his time as a long-serving Senator and Vice-President, contributed in no small part to the political circumstances that gave rise to his predecessor's ascent and who at best could be described as a tourniquet placed somewhat effectively over the absolutely gushing arterial bleed that is our political system, continues to make paeans to decency and decorum as though shame might compel them to be the better angels among their party.

The right wing is changing and few people in power seem to get it. The right wing is not only the home of white supremacy, it's also the home of chauvinism, misogyny, homophobia and authoritarianism- all of which are unfortunately color-blind. It's no surprise to me that Democrats lost ground with Latino voters in the last election, or that the current leader of the Proud Boys is named Enrique Tarrio. The idea that Western civilization and the traditional power structure is under attack by effete liberal Democrats is something that has resonance among a lot of different groups, even if that traditional power structure has been their historical enemy. We're in a world that's changing rapidly due to social, cultural and environmental factors, and that's scary to a lot of people.

Roe won't be the end. The draft opinion against Roe also criticizes Lawrence v. Texas and Obergefell v. Hodge, and the current right-wing fixation on GROOMERS and PEDOPHILES in public education suggests that they'll work on undermining LGBT rights next, and from there, who knows what. The left, or what passes for it in this country, has to recognize two things: that the moral high ground of their arguments aren't enough to save them, and that the party that purports to represent them is absolutely incapable of doing so. It's too old, corporate and unimaginative to do so. If there's another Women's March on DC, the participants would be better advised to bring pitchforks and torches to demonstrate that they're not going down without a fight because it's clear that there is no executive or legislative savior waiting in the wings to save us.

Thanks for indulging my CSPAM posting, I needed to vent before I waterboard myself with bourbon tonight.

This is by far too coherent and thoughtful to be a CSPAM post, 1/10

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

the most important election of our lives

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Look at anything even remotely left leaning talking about this and this is the majority of what you'll see. Better not sit out those midterms!!!!!

:fuckoff:

e:

an idiot, a complete loving moron posted:

The good news is that since Roe v Wade was always on flimsy footing, this will galvanize the left into passing proper legislation affirming the right o abortion, netting us a much stronger position.

Just complete loving delusion

fknlo fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 3, 2022

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Real glad codifying Roe v Wade was the campaign promise Biden just didn't loving bother to do a thing about.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

maffew buildings posted:

Real glad codifying Roe v Wade was the campaign promise Biden just didn't loving bother to do a thing about.

Politifact rates this three Pinocchios.

There were in fact many campaign promises that Biden just didn’t loving bother to do a thing about.

The definite article is inappropriate.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
gently caress, you're right. I was thinking about how hard I'm going to vote and was distracted

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
They're also going after INTERRACIAL MARRIAGE, the RIGHT TO CONTRACEPTION, and the RIGHT to NOT TO BE FORCIBLY STERILIZED:

https://twitter.com/TheViewFromLL2/status/1521304125874614274

I am really, really, really loving depressed right now.

I don't really see much hope from here. Thanks, Obama.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Alito is a real piece of poo poo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kesper North posted:

They're also going after INTERRACIAL MARRIAGE, the RIGHT TO CONTRACEPTION, and the RIGHT to NOT TO BE FORCIBLY STERILIZED:

https://twitter.com/TheViewFromLL2/status/1521304125874614274

I am really, really, really loving depressed right now.

I don't really see much hope from here. Thanks, Obama.

loving hell.

Putin: escalate fully at your discretion, please and thank you.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

maffew buildings posted:

There's a good chance he considers this a victory of compromise

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

What is sterilize but permanent abortion? Wtf

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Discussion Quorum posted:

There has been a billboard up near me for a "Notorious RBG" exhibit of some sort and I remember thinking "yeah she'll be notorious alright" :classiclol:

:hmmyes:

She just couldn’t have retired earlier, could she?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
really cool to watch human rights evaporate in real time due to an unelected gang of geriatrics while our elected leadership shrugs and goes "nothing can be done"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
If it makes you feel any better a handful of them aren't geriatrics and are still gonna vote it down lmao

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Her opportunity to retire was before the hundred and thirteenth Congress was seated in 2013.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Can't wait for the "send us money" texts about 3 weeks after the Republicans take control of the Senate and abolish the filibuster while the democrats :decorum:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Nope, she just had to grandstand right at the very end by letting the first woman president nominate her successor, and she has managed to largely undo her own legacy by that single act of hubris that didn't break the way she expected.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

DurosKlav posted:

Just not this Republican Party.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Midjack posted:

Nope, she just had to grandstand right at the very end by letting the first woman president nominate her successor, and she has managed to largely undo her own legacy by that single act of hubris that didn't break the way she expected.

There is a second act of hubris in officiating a wedding in a pandemic as eighty‐seven‐year‐old multiple time cancer survivor, but no one will talk about that because it is indecorous.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Platystemon posted:

There is a second act of hubris in officiating a wedding in a pandemic as eighty‐seven‐year‐old multiple time cancer survivor, but no one will talk about that because it is indecorous.

I forgot about that too.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Well we tried voting oh well guess I should have donated more to the Clinton library

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Hasn't something insane like 15 of the last 20 supreme court justices been republican nominations

I heard a disparaging term recently somewhere that summed up pretty succinctly the bizarre and dangerous veneration of the constitution as a nearly mystical document. I don't think it was a "religious interpretation of the constitution". Maybe Spiritual? It was clearly deriding (god i hope) the religious lunatics. The person it was attributed to was named as well and I feel like it carried some water but I don't know.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
How does this compute with the armed forces? So if you are a woman soldier somewhere in the south, how hosed are you? Or are there any federal protections?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS