Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
I’m with Olives and his mystical rock defeating the golem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
like every title fight of oliveira's career so far i'm 100% gonna be making GBS threads my pants the whole time while rooting for him, if that's a prop bet you can make

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I just have this weird feeling that gathje will be controlled and calm and bash his loving legs in and that will be the difference but its so hard to pick against the champ given the way he makes a habit of snatching victories.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

i've rooted for charles for every fight since i can remember so i aint changing now, he got dis

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i love oliveira because he reminds me so strongly of robbie: an exciting fighter that has built up an unassailable amount of good will by putting on the sickest of fights when it looked like he'd max out as a high level gatekeeper only to become one of the most exciting champions... ever.

i would bet on gaethje because if oliveira wins i'd still be happy and if he loses at least i get to be sad into a pile of money.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Ah gently caress, I've been very sick and missed my traditional :toxx: on Arlovski. For my miss, can I get that sweet 6 hour Arlovski probe?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Marching Powder posted:

i love oliveira because he reminds me so strongly of robbie: an exciting fighter that has built up an unassailable amount of good will by putting on the sickest of fights when it looked like he'd max out as a high level gatekeeper only to become one of the most exciting champions... ever.

i would bet on gaethje because if oliveira wins i'd still be happy and if he loses at least i get to be sad into a pile of money.

yeah it seems really rare in mma, a lot of times the guys who become champs and perennial contenders are the ones who come in and just destroy everyone on the way up, maybe with a loss or two to teach them some important lessons. whereas oliveira just got better for a really long time and suddenly was champion quality, and along the way developed the ability not to fold up like lawn chair when he gets into trouble.

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.
The Heavy Hands boys talked about not seeing Gaethje following Chucky to the ground if he hurts him. I agree. I also find it hard to see Oliviera getting KOd stiff. I think we might see a tragic standing TKO a la Volk vs Zombie or Gaethje vs Ferguson.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

kimbo305 posted:

GSP made some picks

If a random lady named esparanza gets in the ring somehow I hope rose finishes her, a decision would be embarrassing

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Untrustable posted:

Ah gently caress, I've been very sick and missed my traditional :toxx: on Arlovski. For my miss, can I get that sweet 6 hour Arlovski probe?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

We'll call it a bad Arlovski decision probe.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

DeimosRising posted:

If a random lady named esparanza gets in the ring somehow I hope rose finishes her, a decision would be embarrassing

Crala Esperanza is legit.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

but could she beat giblert?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Bellator Prelims start in a few minutes here, from France
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DSe3PPx2jo

Main card, if you or your computer is in Canada, should also be watchable on Bellator's Youtube page starting at 4 PM ET.

Nothing to report on any sort of post of Rizin, and I also think they don't end up posting fights on their Youtube page until a month later. So I guess look for me to post the videos of the show I previewed in the June thread? :(

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Bellator prelim just ended with a guy having some of the stankiest legs I've ever seen in MMA (thankfully ref called a standing TKO)

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

So champ now has under half an hour to weigh in

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

reeg posted:

Bellator prelim just ended with a guy having some of the stankiest legs I've ever seen in MMA (thankfully ref called a standing TKO)

Very stanky. Much stanky
https://twitter.com/BellatorMMA/status/1522628394164305920?s=20&t=Ma5IKkqt23KCM4URf4b3pA

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Big list of cuts. No huge surprises but some memorable names that would have likely stayed on the roster in a different era:

Gina Mazany
Dean Barry
Kevin Croom
Cameron Else
Micheal Gillmore
Mike Grundy
Austin Hubbard
Brandon Jenkins
Kris Moutinho
Rong Zhu
Devonte Smith
Bruno Souza
Jesse Strader
Mark Striegl
Kazula Vargas
Luigi Vendramini
Fares Ziam
Ike Villanueva

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
got an hour to drop that .5

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

don't gently caress this up, oliveira, god dammit

Also Norma Dumont managed to miss featherweight, which is hilarious.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

hahaha the low angle and the huge fellas to either side make Yves Landu look completely fun-sized :neckbeard:

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

CarlCX posted:

don't gently caress this up, oliveira, god dammit

Also Norma Dumont managed to miss featherweight, which is hilarious.

https://twitter.com/jedigoodman/status/1522641040850792448

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Yves Landu owns
https://twitter.com/BellatorMMA/status/1522639548181798912

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
HE loving MISSED!

.5lb and he didn't loose any of it

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
w e l p

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1522652703733673990?s=20&t=Qonon5dYFX7ympcwyDmQUg

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

bummer for do bronx and ty carl for the blanka pic

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Bellator 280 Paris: Bader vs. Kongo 2 starting now on Showtime, or here if your computer is in Canada https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPw0OL8e9_c

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

lol how long has it been since this happened?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Do champs usually drop the belt when they miss weight? I have a feeling that something else has happened when a champ missed weight in the past but no inclination on what it why.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The last and only other time this happened was when Nicco Montano was stripped of the women's flyweight belt after being hospitalized for her weight cut, which was in 2018.

However, a new wrinkle:

https://twitter.com/JasonAmadi/status/1522668098532294657

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

there was also UFC 223 where Iaquinta was an overweight last-minute replacement for (like a half dozen people who themselves were replacements for) T Ferg in a championship fight with Khabib, and he was ineligible for the title if he won - I remember trying to explain the leadup to 223 in medias res

quote:

It's a beautiful afternoon for sports, folks, here on day one of the World Series. If you haven't been following the news, the Angels are no longer playing against the Yankees as earlier reported. The Angels were already a last-minute replacement for the Red Sox, who dropped out after injuring themselves in training - potentially from swinging their batting hands, the things they rely on to do batting, into metal poles. But, just earlier today, the Angels were deemed too thirsty to do sports by the commissioner of baseball. This is all a major blow after the events of yesterday, when the Mariners assaulted a press conference after having just recreated that chocolate factory scene from I Love Lucy but with cocaine. The Devil Rays were approached with an offer, but refused when it wasn't "Randy Johnson money." So this week, it'll be the Cubs against the Yankees. Please note, however, that only the Yankees will be playing for the pennant. Because the Cubs are too fat, they will only be playing to deprive the Yankees of the win. It's a beautiful afternoon for sports, folks, and we're just getting started.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I've really been enjoying Bisping's YouTube series going on now. I like him quite a bit as a commentator as well.

To be fair, I'm an American and have a positive bias with regards to English/UK/British/Irish accents etc.

Edit - Chandler looks thin as poo poo in the most recent Embedded episode.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 6, 2022

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Kaddish posted:

I've really been enjoying Bisping's YouTube series going on now. I like him quite a bit as a commentator as well.

To be fair, I'm an American and have a positive bias with regards to English/UK/British/Irish accents etc.

I should check out his channel. I HATED him as a fighter, but love him as a commentator.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Kaddish posted:

His documentary is pretty interesting too.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

i'm confused i always thought .5 over was fine, is this a champion clause thing

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Championship fights have no margin

There is someone very vocally booing the Bader Kongo fight

What are the gloves they're using? They look bigger than ufc style 4 ounce

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
If your computer has moved from Canada to Portugal, you can watch the PFL here, commercial free
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOk97XBR3SE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

lol woah