Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MrMojok posted:

So an "unsustained" complaint then, is one that was never proven, by people who have no means to ever prove them in the first place, under the vast majority of circumstances. Holy poo poo.

Look at when Jenkins is having the "clear the corners" strategy explained to him. They knowingly detain people who have done nothing wrong, knowing that the majority of them will just sign the form the next morning to say there will be no charges if they agree to not make a complaint since it means they get to go home.... and if they don't, they have to go back into a cell to wait until they can actually have their complaint heard/go through a system that has already proven to be completely stacked against them.

The result is empty streets and therefore the perception that the police have effectively chased off criminals, when for the most part they've just grabbed anybody (black) who was there and dumped them in a cell overnight for literally no reason. And they get away with it. Then bitch and moan that they can't understand why people don't appreciate and respect "all we're doing!" for Baltimore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Shageletic posted:

Apparently she's a composite. Which makes sense. But just glad to have a non-cop protagonist in here.

The politics of this show are definitely a step up from the already pretty good politics of the Wire.

I get the impression David Simon still believes there are some good cops and the system can be reformed and the fundamental underlying problem is not capitalism.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
The apartment complex in episode 1 is the same one that the murdered nun from The Keepers lived at in real life.

Kinda weirded out that I recognized it immediately, it’s been like three years since I watched that.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Orange Devil posted:

I get the impression David Simon still believes there are some good cops and the system can be reformed and the fundamental underlying problem is not capitalism.

Can you point to something specific that makes you think Simon believes the system can be reformed? Looking at most of what he has produced, the thesis tends to boil down to "the system is fundamentally broken and any attempt to reform it will be ground into dust."

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/sep/28/wire-david-simon-interview-american-politics-show-me-a-hero

For example.

I think Simon's biggest limitation is that he only sees the world (can only see the world?) through American eyes.

There is a material reason why the US middle class was built post WW2 and then demolished. It has to do with US empire and hegemony and the tendency of the rate of profit to fall and other material reasons. But you can't see that if you look at just the US. You see a time when things were getting better for working class people and minorities and then you see a time when things start getting worse and worse. And it is understandable to want to go "back" to that time when things were getting better, and that time having existed proves that this must be entirely possible right? And it must be some actors in the system somewhere or some attitudes that are widely shared that have led to this change which just needs to be undone. But that's not the game. It's wanting things to be one way, but it's the other way.

Like the main undercurrent of reading Simon's views in the piece I linked is his appeal to society in America. How in the end you are all Americans. That is a lie suckers are told to accept bullshit, and Simons believes that lie. The world is not divided along national lines. If it was, American elites would care some bit about American poor or American minorities etc. They don't. The world is divided along class lines. Looking at it that way holds infinitely more explanatory power.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 11, 2022

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

David Simon posted:

“The Wire depicts a world in which capital has triumphed completely, labour has been marginalised and moneyed interests have purchased enough political infrastructure to prevent reform. It is a world in which the rules and values of the free market and maximised profit have been mistaken for a social framework, a world where institutions themselves are paramount and everyday human beings matter less... It has to change. When capital also is entitled to buy the government, that same government that might in some way create the basic standards of behaviour, everything from child labour to environmental protection, to workplace safety, to minimum wages that are consistent with the cost of living… Well eventually it’s going to get to the point where it’s so fuckin’ bad that people are going to throw a brick.”

It doesn't sound like he disagrees with you that much. He identifies as a social democrat so clearly he's not interested in a complete overthrow of our capitalist overlords, but I don't think he thinks the current system is reformable in a way that we would recognize it. I don't think he's suggesting that the post-WWII boom is a state we should return to in its entirety.

edit: Also that interview is now 8 years old. I don't know how his outlook has changed post-2016 but I doubt he's feeling more sanguine.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 11, 2022

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Max posted:

Can you point to something specific that makes you think Simon believes the system can be reformed? Looking at most of what he has produced, the thesis tends to boil down to "the system is fundamentally broken and any attempt to reform it will be ground into dust."

Follow him on Twitter, he's a very outspoken liberal but typically ignores most leftist ideals about core issues. He likes telling Trump and Republicans to gently caress off but you don't see much when it comes to capitalistic issues and such. I think he thinks the core problem is corruption without attacking why that corruption takes place.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Kevyn posted:

The apartment complex in episode 1 is the same one that the murdered nun from The Keepers lived at in real life.

Kinda weirded out that I recognized it immediately, it’s been like three years since I watched that.

Is it worth watching. Did a quick google and it seems to be exceptionally heavy

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Edit: This is in reply to Orange Devil

I would disagree with you in general here, looking at what happens in Show Me A Hero, specifically the main council-member that ultimately pushes the vote to allow the low income housing in Yonkers. People that try to fix the system or do something good in most of Simon's work are almost always sidelined or immediately punished by state actors within the system they are trying to change. This is even seen on WOTC with the officer that calls up Steele and tells her that after attempting to say something about what they thought about policing in the city, he got sent out to pasture.

Hell, season 4 of of The Wire is basically one giant yell into the void about how people that are born into the system have no way of escaping it because of how hosed up the school system is, and the only people that try to actively address it are quickly shut down for daring to question how things are done.

Looking at his twitter account, which is intensely active, you see him agreeing with people that even The Wire may have been too optimistic: https://twitter.com/AoDespair/status/1519090408835403776?s=20&t=kbx0ylWZOhvwEQbEseeC8A

Here he lays out exactly what he is going after for this show:
https://twitter.com/AoDespair/status/1520423163120730114?s=20&t=kbx0ylWZOhvwEQbEseeC8A
(That's a thread that is worth reading.)

I do agree that he generally has a softer hand for the homicide department in Baltimore. That's not surprising since he did spend a lot of time with them in the past and tends to frame their work as real police work, versus the day to day busts that do nothing but ruin people's lives. Even then, I find his view fairly pessimistic.

Edit:

Darko posted:

Follow him on Twitter, he's a very outspoken liberal but typically ignores most leftist ideals about core issues. He likes telling Trump and Republicans to gently caress off but you don't see much when it comes to capitalistic issues and such. I think he thinks the core problem is corruption without attacking why that corruption takes place.

Oh yeah I do follow him. I was mostly asking because I didn't really agree with that argument but wanted to see if anything specific within his work stood out that supported it.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I’m watching the first episode now, and there sure are a lot of “hey, you’re that actor (gender-neutral) from the wire!“

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Shageletic posted:

Is it worth watching. Did a quick google and it seems to be exceptionally heavy

Yeah it was pretty good. Definitely goes to some dark hosed up places, even for a murder documentary.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

ulvir posted:

I’m watching the first episode now, and there sure are a lot of “hey, you’re that actor (gender-neutral) from the wire!“

Dookie kicked heroin and became a cop!

Seriously, though, Simon does this a lot. Most all his poo poo (The Wire, The Corner, WOTC, Treme) use a lot of the same actors. Kinda like Scorsese, Paul Thomas Anderson and Spike Lee tend to do. I dig it on a couple of levels though. First of all, they're all GOOD. Second, it's really cool to notice faces (like you said) and, IMO, even better seeing them cast in widely different roles that lets them show off their range. loving Marlo is now real police homicide detective and it's loving wild.

I cheated and watched episode 3 even though my intent was to wait and binge it out because, man, this show is great and I can't watch Better Call Saul without ponying up so I need something. Sucks it's only gonna be 6 episodes though because half way through I can already see the potential for a full couple of seasons here and it uses that same slow burn style that Simon is famous for so spreading it out a little would really work for me.

The accents crack me up and really land for me since I'm from around that way sorta.

"I bought some doap tied to a roap that turned out to be sope so I said "noap" and I ran out of hoap, couldn't coap and then I went to gowe moap."

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
"Aaron earned an iron urn."

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
My wife's from Baltimore and I didn't think she had an accent until I heard "let's go downie ossian hun" (meaning, "let's go to the beach") and then, lol

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Eason the Fifth posted:

My wife's from Baltimore and I didn't think she had an accent until I heard "let's go downie ossian hun" (meaning, "let's go to the beach") and then, lol

Bring some wooder.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Nah dummy!

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

loving Marlo is now real police homicide detective and it's loving wild.

My wife hasn't finished The Wire so she doesn't know who Marlo is, but when I saw him show up on this, and he's a good cop, doing real homicide work, I literally had to pause it and explain to her how amazingly ruthless he was in The Wire, and the level of fear that surrounded him and his crew.

He's such a great actor. It's amazing. Awesome to see that he can equally play a "good guy" just as well as he did a "bad guy".

Really enjoying everyone on this show. JB is amazing as Jenkins too. Just the level of arrogance he has as Jenkins is amazing. I watched an interview with him on Desus and Mero a few weeks ago, and comparing that to this, you can really see how different he is compared to Jenkins. It makes his acting in this stand out so much more.

(There are just so many scenes where I can say "man, I've run into a cop JUST like that. He really nails it imo).

metavisual fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 13, 2022

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I liked how Jaime played Edgar in Bosch too.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

metavisual posted:

My wife hasn't finished The Wire so she doesn't know who Marlo is, but when I saw him show up on this, and he's a good cop, doing real homicide work, I literally had to pause it and explain to her how amazingly ruthless he was in The Wire, and the level of fear that surrounded him and his crew.

He's such a great actor. It's amazing. Awesome to see that he can equally play a "good guy" just as well as he did a "bad guy".

Really enjoying everyone on this show. JB is amazing as Jenkins too. Just the level of arrogance he has as Jenkins is amazing. I watched an interview with him on Desus and Mero a few weeks ago, and comparing that to this, you can really see how different he is compared to Jenkins. It makes his acting in this stand out so much more.

(There are just so many scenes where I can say "man, I've run into a cop JUST like that. He really nails it imo).

He was so still in the Wire, like a cat about to pounce

Here he's straight shouldered and prim, its such a great change

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Jamie Hector already played basically the same role on Bosch but yes he's very good

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

mistermojo posted:

Jamie Hector

Everyone involved with The Wire goes on and on about how good he is since, apparently, he's like the exact opposite of Marlo in real life and is just able to flip a switch and get right into the role. Same with the dude who played Chris, who's like this terrifying sociopathic hit man on the show, but the guy that plays him is a Shakespearean trained stage actor or some poo poo and both dudes are described as the nicest loving people you'd ever want to meet.

When you watch Hector in both shows, he still brings this same, cool, collected, methodical element to both characters - even though they're night and day character wise - and pulls off most of what he evokes with his face, tone, eyes and body language. I wish his role was larger here and maybe it will be moving forward. He does more with less and says a lot without needing a ton of lines to do it.

metavisual posted:

Agree with this too. SImon always gets great loving performances from his cast, even though I don't think the writing on WOtC is quite as tight as his previous work.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 13, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Shageletic posted:

He was so still in the Wire, like a cat about to pounce

"I'm gonna need you to go over there and pack up your people"

*lines up an approach shot with an 8 iron*

"I'm bein' a gentleman about for the moment"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Even his sex looked joyless and emotionless

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I forget that was even a subplot because Marlo was otherwise* an inhuman avatar of amoral capitalism.

*except for the "my name is my name" bit

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I really like that even when we see Suiter lose his temper (or pretend to at least) and grab that lady to declare he's had enough and he's going to arrest her if she doesn't start cooperating, his anger is in a completely different vein to the rage we see from Marlo. Marlo's rage is terrifying and dangerous, Suiter's rage is "Yeah okay I've had enough of this, time to force the issue".

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

mistermojo posted:

Jamie Hector already played basically the same role on Bosch but yes he's very good

Bosch Legacy may or may not feature some cameos...

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I think I saw an interview way back from Jaime where he talked about how he tried to carry himself like royalty when playing Marlo. Basically keeping every movement as minimal as possible, since the character felt he had so much power he only had to do the bare minimum to make things happened. Its an interesting insight into the character, and you can really see it in all the little things he does on The Wire.

Edit: eyyy found it here

quote:

He moves the way a king might move or the way any leader of men might move. Marlo wastes nothing: He’s very economical. He’s a man of few words. He wastes no actions. It requires a lot of discipline

Max fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 13, 2022

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Bosch Legacy may or may not feature some cameos...

*sighs and starts watching Bosch Legacy*

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

LesterGroans posted:

*sighs and starts watching Bosch Legacy*

Its good! I mean its literally just Bosch season 8. And I'd say thats off topic but Bosch and The David Simonverse (shut up, its a thing) share a good chunk of creative teams.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Its good! I mean its literally just Bosch season 8. And I'd say thats off topic but Bosch and The David Simonverse (shut up, its a thing) share a good chunk of creative teams.

Yeah, Bosch is solid Dad TV, but it getting a spinoff (is it really a spinoff if it has the same main character?) gave me an excuse to stop watching. Knowing Jamie Hector will pop up just guaranteed I'll check it out though.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
I am really enjoying this. I don't mind the exposition so much given the compressed timeframe and the fact much of it is factual, real-life information. Obviously the show isn't a documentary, but I'm willing to make more allowances than I would be for something that was purely fictional.

Jon Bernthal's corrupt cop is an interesting character - he has a passing resemblence to an IRL friend of mine (who also has a bit of the same swaggery attitude, albeit much more of an actual nice person). I'm also having fun imaginging him as Mirror Universe Jake Piralta from Brooklyn 99 :v:

Kevyn posted:

Oh man, when I saw it I instantly remembered The Keepers too, but wasn't 100% because it's been a few years too.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I just wish this show was as funny as the wire was

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
I started reading the book and just lmao at the huge spoilers on page 3, i didn't see that coming.

I'll probably hold off on the show until i finish it. I'm 25% in and only two or three scenes have made it into the show so far, it's much more chronological.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Lol yeah. The book is definitely written as a researched indictment and not so much as a narrative (like, say, Empire of Pain is). I think that if you want the series to really hit home, you'll want to hold off on reading the book until the whole show airs.

That said, it's still very good so far, and adds a lot of detail and additional information to the scenes in the show, and I highly recommend it.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I'm so sad there's only two episodes left.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
amboolanz

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Here's another connection to the Wire from this weeks episode...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTDXp5mRnWE

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Boy this was an (intentionally) infuriating episode.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Ah, so this is what the author of the book was talking about in that tweet.

You robbed a midget stripper?

As an aside, this is a relatively small thing compared to what this assholes got up to, and compared to what cops do all the time, up to and including murder. But one of the really infuriating things in shows like this is the cops driving around drunk, and getting away with it, because you know this happens all the time IRL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Also, what was Jenkins drinking in the "Happy Wayne Jenkins Day" scene, where the Lieutenant ribbed him asking if he'd confiscated it from a teenage girl?