Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

BlazetheInferno posted:

For the curious, those pressure pads involve a semi-hidden path through some rubble that's not hard to assume is impassable. It might also be behind a house one must destroy, but I might be remembering a different secret. Either pressure pad would raise a bridge to get across and access some bonus loot.

Worth noting, by the way, as Arthas' levels shrink, your ability levels are taken away in a set order, if I remember right. Level 3 Death Coil gets shrunk down to level 2 really early, I remember. Might even be level 9 or 8 that it happens.

The worst part about the undead campaign is how much the devs apparently love Death Pact over the DK's actual useful skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rhonne posted:

Did you forget the intermission between the first and second missions? I'm pretty sure there was one involving Sylvanas and the Dreadlords before this.

...Well, that's weird. I actually recorded missions 1 and 2 in one sitting, and that cutscene didn't play.

I guess I'll have to make a bonus mini-update. Chalking this up to more Reforged weirdness.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, I figured that game probably messed it up for you somehow. It's kind of an important cutacene, too.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Man, Whitemane is wearing way more clothes in that art than she does in Heroes of the Storm.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Kith posted:

Man, Whitemane is wearing way more clothes in that art than she does in Heroes of the Storm.

Or in WoW.

I think it's that she has pants in that artwork. Rest of the outfit seems to be mostly the same.
Fake edit: also sleeves? Her standard outfit is basically a one piece swimsuit, a scarlet crusade tabard, thigh-high boots, her signature hat and gloves.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I do like the detail that Sally Whitemane is ridiculously naturally good at resurrection magic. To the point that the reason the Scarlet Crusade from Classic WoW made it to Cataclysm and she remained the High Inquisitor is that whenever she was killed she would self-revive and then revive all her dead allies. So long long as she was able to bring herself back from death the Crusade were more or less impossible to exhaust of fighting forces.

Notably she only was stopped in Cataclysm via cursed runeblades (2 even) being used to impale and block her ability to auto-revive, and if they were ever removed from her corpse she would rise again.

It's really rare to have an unkillable villain where the source of said unkillability is more or less light/holy resurrection.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

The stuff about the Scarlet Crusade in Gilneas is related to the upcoming DF patch in which the Gilneans finally retake their home. While the quests themselves are still encrypted, everything points to the Scarlet Crusade being the main antagonists of this, and Horde players will be able to the questline too(most likely in disguise). As you can imagine, this has been controversial among certain parts of the playerbase. Some Horde players think they shouldn't be helping the Glneans retake their land, and some Alliance players think the Horde shouldn't be allowed to help and that they should be fighting Forsaken instead of the Crusade.

I'm just happy that they'll finally do something with that cool big city that's just been sitting there since Cataclysm.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Lord_Magmar posted:

I do like the detail that Sally Whitemane is ridiculously naturally good at resurrection magic. To the point that the reason the Scarlet Crusade from Classic WoW made it to Cataclysm and she remained the High Inquisitor is that whenever she was killed she would self-revive and then revive all her dead allies. So long long as she was able to bring herself back from death the Crusade were more or less impossible to exhaust of fighting forces.

Notably she only was stopped in Cataclysm via cursed runeblades (2 even) being used to impale and block her ability to auto-revive, and if they were ever removed from her corpse she would rise again.

It's really rare to have an unkillable villain where the source of said unkillability is more or less light/holy resurrection.

The bolded part isn't true, I believe - they were removed near immediately by the NPC who told you to impale her with them in the first place, who went on to use them as her primary weapons for a while. Whitemane, meanwhile, stayed dead until Legion.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 30, 2023

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

BlazetheInferno posted:

The bolded part isn't true, I believe - they were removed near immediately by the NPC who told you to impale her with them in the first place, who went on to use them as her primary weapons for a while. Whitemane, meanwhile, stayed dead until Legion.

You know what fair enough, I went and checked and my memory was off because the blades straight up change shape after killing Whitemane and I thought I remembered her corpse still impaled with said blades in Legion.

Still, interesting and novel that she had the self-revive thing going on regardless and needed special magic blades to be permanently killed. A thing that usually happens to dark wizard types, not holy priestesses.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I honestly think the biggest reason that The Scarlet Crusade managed to live rent-free in WoW's headspace is because the Scarlet Cathedral, a mid-point series of leveling dungeons, was probably the best set of dungeons in Vanilla WoW, and everyone ran them all the time. Even the Alliance players who had no convenient way to fast travel to the Cathedral. But these dungeons were, compared to all the others, well focused, relatively quick to do, simple to grasp in terms of pull mechanics, and had rewards that were desirable at that point in the game.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Part of the reason they were so popular is because there was a whole bunch of fantastic loot in there.

Armory offered the always-hilarious Ravager axe, there was a whole mess of great Mail gear for Warriors and melee Paladins who weren't itching to get their hands on Plate stuff, and for Hunters and Enhancement shamans eager to upgrade, Library has a bunch of great caster items, there's the iconic Hat off of Whitemane herself, plus people going for quests, like anyone who wanted to get their hands on the Sword of Omen.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rhonne posted:

The stuff about the Scarlet Crusade in Gilneas is related to the upcoming DF patch in which the Gilneans finally retake their home.

And it's more proof that the books are a waste of everyone's time. War Crimes said that the Alliance retook Gilneas during Mists of Pandaria, taking advantage of the Horde's civil war to drive them out of Ashenvale and Gilneas.

A Blizzard dev commented on that saying it would alas never be reflected in the game unless the Horde drove the Alliance out of two zones in exchange to keep things fair.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

It's pretty funny that, despite being such a big part of the game and constantly coming back, the Scarlet Crusade never appears in any raids. Poor guys peaked at "5-man dungeon" level threat.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The historical books are fine (basically just about everything leading up to WoW). It's all the books that try to fill in gaps between expansions or big events that are a mess because they either feel like required reading (hi Varian) or try to make everything canon-compliant and still be reflected in the game and tend to fail at least one of them.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Scarlet Monastery's placement was also funny for being located in the Forsaken's starting zone. While it was normal for newbie qiests to try and claim life was dangerous and precarious, the Forsaken could actually see, three feet away, a bunch of mobs substantially too high for you to fight. And of course, run too far in another direction and you enter one of the end game zones.

I'll note another reason for SM's popularity was that Whitemane running out to rez Mograine was about as "cinematic" as fights got back then, which also lead to it being more memorable.

Scarlets were also wound up in the neverending rumor mill regarding the legendary blade Ashbringer, which looks very stupid if I could note, but had players going gonzo over. At the time there were two "legendary" items in the game, and neither one actually had much in the way of a cool story behind it, so the idea of being able to use a legendary weapon with some actual history appealed to people. Also, Ret paladins were clinging to anything that could make them cool, because the class was in the dregs for quite awhile. There were small crumbs of story about Ashbringer in Vanilla, a bit more in Burning Crusade, and it would finally appear in Wrath of the Lich King...where another NPC used it, not you, lol. Paladins would finally get their cool (dumb looking) sword alongside all the other class relics in Legion, and then promptly threw them away the very next expansion.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

It did contribute to a general feeling of The Forsaken being a bit more on the edge of survival than the other racial capitals, what with them basically picking up the pieces in a ruined post apocalypse.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Capfalcon posted:

It did contribute to a general feeling of The Forsaken being a bit more on the edge of survival than the other racial capitals, what with them basically picking up the pieces in a ruined post apocalypse.

...you know this got me realising that of the six capital cities in vanilla WoW, Ironforge was the only one to not be recently (re-)built.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

What happened to thunder bluff?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Capfalcon posted:

Somebody called it.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Capfalcon posted:

It was only founded after WC3.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The tauren were nomads and didn't build permanent settlements until they learned they were going to be in an MMO and the game design couldn't deal with them moving around.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I will say that the thread is as far from the typical toxic soup as the MMOs can be, sometimes. The fanboys have sort of been weeded out by this point, since either they got tired of the constant barrage of Warcraft's flaws being highlighted, or they straight up got banned or probated for stirring up poo poo. So by this point, anyone who'd be a true rear end in a top hat about the LGBT stuff is likely gone.

For me, my liking of the Scarlet Crusade is that they seemed to have a lot more effort put into them than the majority of the other dungeons. There's a very distinct feeling of a Scarlet Crusade dungeon, yet they still manage to remain pretty independently distinct for each of their dungeons. Then there's the fact that it was mechanically beneficial to run the dungeons too for the memorable looking gear that you previously saw being in the bosses hands. The dungeons were definitely more linear than a lot of WoW's initial dungeons, but considering that a lot of the other dungeons were just straight up confusing to navigate due to some incredibly iffy design, that kind of worked into its favour. The voice lines also did some heavy lifting for the bosses, with "Arise, my champion" and "Burn in righteous fire!" being very easy for me to remember to this day despite having stopped WoW a long time ago.

There's also the idea of just going to the church and seeing the 4 different instance entrances. It really gave a feeling of raiding specific wings of this admittedly oddly huge church.

Cythereal posted:

And it's more proof that the books are a waste of everyone's time. War Crimes said that the Alliance retook Gilneas during Mists of Pandaria, taking advantage of the Horde's civil war to drive them out of Ashenvale and Gilneas.

A Blizzard dev commented on that saying it would alas never be reflected in the game unless the Horde drove the Alliance out of two zones in exchange to keep things fair.

This is the most offensively plastic statement I've ever seen regarding what claims to be a creative work in any way. How anyone can take Warcraft's story seriously with this level of artificiality being enforced into the game is.... just.... yeah.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Keldulas posted:

I will say that the thread is as far from the typical toxic soup as the MMOs can be, sometimes. The fanboys have sort of been weeded out by this point, since either they got tired of the constant barrage of Warcraft's flaws being highlighted, or they straight up got banned or probated for stirring up poo poo. So by this point, anyone who'd be a true rear end in a top hat about the LGBT stuff is likely gone.

The kind of people you're talking about haven't been allowed on this website in like a decade lol

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
That was a response to Cythereal's comment in the update about being surprised about that, though I do admit I didn't fully think the situation through either.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fajita Queen posted:

The kind of people you're talking about haven't been allowed on this website in like a decade lol

Considering I've had goons tell me to kill myself in public chats (in game chats in goon guilds, not on SA) within the last couple of years for my opinions on video games, I take nothing for granted where goon behavior is concerned. Sorry.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Past WotLK, Scarlet Crusade does seem like a victim of their own success. Even at that point, they had mostly devolved into mooks and jokes, but past that, I don't know who would join up with a team that has taken nothing but L's for about a decade.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Keldulas posted:

This is the most offensively plastic statement I've ever seen regarding what claims to be a creative work in any way. How anyone can take Warcraft's story seriously with this level of artificiality being enforced into the game is.... just.... yeah.
There's a context that's missing from that snappy soundbite: namely, that WoW's territory on release was heavily imbalanced in Alliance's favor. Not only did Alliance flat out have more fully controlled zones, but they also had more zones that, while nominally "contested", had only a single faction present. On top of that, the Alliance quest hubs in the actually contested zones were generally several levels higher than the Horde counterparts in the same area, ensuring that when players of two factions ran into each other on PvP realms, the Alliance would enjoy a natural advantage.

Fortunately, Blizzard eventually fixed this imbalance. Unfortunately, the narrative explanation for this much-needed gameplay change was "Garrosh's Horde goes on a warpath and conquers Alliance lands."

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah wow territories on release were insane. Horde characters languagishing in The Barrens for hours on end while alliance-characters had a smörgåsbord of safe starting paths.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Interlude: Beckon the Vengeful

As promised, a mini-update covering the cutscene that didn't play for whatever reason. Reforged has had issues with cinematics playing correctly.

How could I not? For some reason I no longer hear the Lich King's voice in my head. My will is my own once again. You dreadlords seem to know why.
We've discovered that the Lich King is losing his power! As it wanes, so too does his ability to command undead such as you.
And what of King Arthas? What of his powers?

So does she not know that the dreadlords created the Lich King and are thus indirectly responsible for her state?
That was not common knowledge among the Scourge. The relationship between the Scourge, the Legion, and the dreadlords was never clear to most. And then it turned out we were wrong about everything anyway because apparently no one ever thought to look into where the Scourge's powers come from independently rather than drawing on the arcane lore taught by the dreadlords. If curiosity killed the cat, then Azeroth suffers from what one dwarf death knight once described to me as 'the intellectual equivalent of a thermonuclear catsplosion.'

You seek to overthrow him, and you want my help to do it.
The Legion may be defeated, but we are the Nathrezim! We'll not let some upstart human get the best of us! Arthas must fall!
The lich, Kel'Thuzad, is far too loyal to betray his master. But you, on the other hand...

'Thermonuclear catsplosion?'
I do not know and I do not want to know.
Dwarves, mon.

I'll take part in your bloody coup, but I'll do so in my own way.

Be patient, y'all. We'll discuss Sylvanas and what's going on with her soon.

Don't be too hasty. She has great spirit, but her hatred for Arthas will ultimately serve our cause.
Agreed. Well, if that's settled, then let the festivities commence...

Consider this a notice: for about the next five LP updates, I do not expect but I do demand that posters in this thread exercise good judgment when discussing the lore. We're about to hit some of the most controversial and heated topics in WoW history.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Almost as though staffing your officer corps with magically enslaved people who hate you has downsides.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Cythereal posted:

I do demand that posters in this thread exercise good judgment

uh oh

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

BlazetheInferno posted:

Part of the reason they were so popular is because there was a whole bunch of fantastic loot in there.

Armory offered the always-hilarious Ravager axe, there was a whole mess of great Mail gear for Warriors and melee Paladins who weren't itching to get their hands on Plate stuff, and for Hunters and Enhancement shamans eager to upgrade, Library has a bunch of great caster items, there's the iconic Hat off of Whitemane herself, plus people going for quests, like anyone who wanted to get their hands on the Sword of Omen.

Also wool and silk. And a great source of enchantment materials. A lot of casters went Tailoring/Enchanting as their professions, and anyone who did so undoubtedly spent quite a bit of time in SM farming. Cloth could drop from pretty much any humanoid enemy, and since SM was a dungeon pretty much exclusively populated by humanoids, broken up into 4 small dungeons, it was incredibly lucrative for farming.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

PurpleXVI posted:

Almost as though staffing your officer corps with magically enslaved people who hate you has downsides.

The funny thing is that this statement can apply to Arthas/Nerzhul or the Legion.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Cythereal posted:

Consider this a notice: for about the next five LP updates, I do not expect but I do demand that posters in this thread exercise good judgment when discussing the lore. We're about to hit some of the most controversial and heated topics in WoW history.

It begins. :munch:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Honestly, even knowing what Cyth is talking about, I have no idea how or why any of that would be controversial. I'm genuinely interested in seeing what the fuss is all about.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

She's already mentioned there are people who will say the Scarlet Crusade were in the right. Add on to that the full range of dumb bullshit across all the expansions and how people get invested in justifying their own faction that they actually play... Yeah. Yeah...

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Ah, yes. The good old Shirt Color Brainworms. That makes sense.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Cythereal posted:

I picked the wrong time to catch up

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Well, for my new years eve dinner tonight, I think I'll make some Kul Tiras food

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Controversial and heated WoW lore?! This is all new to me so I don't know what's coming, but given what I've learned from this thread I'm predicting that it involves some combination of Blizzard being bad at writing, players being bad at consuming media responsibly, and both parties making GBS threads out sexism and racism all over the place.