Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/leonard_ritter/status/1487565253697277958

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

nice ǝƃɐd

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

SmokaDustbowl posted:

this is what happened to "exurb" here in alberta, now everyone is hosed on fent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E_OLgC4nV0

my understanding is that the fentanyl was there way before the fires

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I got this watch from a company in Montreal, it's all gold and black

it's the first time I ever bought a decent watch (>$50), it's pretty good.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

yeah okay I’m that comic I guess

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Parisian French swearing is how Quebec people turn a show from PG-13 down to G.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

"what do you mean, your swearing isn't its own sub-language where profanities can be used to compose full complete grammatically correct sentences with no other words (determiners excluded) intervening?"

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

who’s treading on who now bitches

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

aw frig aw dang it posted:

cishet people loooove gendering stuff. they can't get enough of it

this drink is for girls, that food is for boys, only men buy this lawnmower brand, women pilot drones like this, etc...

the only useful gendering is in assigning computers to idiots

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I like the taste kombucha in principle but I usually get tired of it before I can finish the glass I started.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

this is what July 1st feels like in Quebec (Moving Day)

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

sexy rationalist fever dreams

(it’s the title of a paper)

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

posting my own tweets

https://twitter.com/mononcqc/status/1587051766566322179

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

the Dunning-Kruger effect is likely not real and just statistical autocorrelation

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

SmokaDustbowl posted:

nice of this economist to quote john cleese so I don't have to read any more

go read the paper then, it’s free: https://www.gwern.net/docs/iq/2020-gignac.pdf

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

an html parser is able to read further into a document it disagrees with than you

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

SmokaDustbowl posted:

does it have to do with the voldemort index

it has to do with accidentally picking an intermediary variable that refers to the original variable and letting you get correlations out of random noise.

you already got the random noise part down, you’re almost there for the full takeaway

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

that’s better than all the anime you’ll ever post

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

the tablet runs android

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

my most listened song this year was Visti & Meyland's Stars and it loving rules no ragrets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTiaB6pRTbk

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

This was my number 2 song and it has a powerful shitposter energy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhJYO2SEzzo

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

#3 was this and the video loving rules
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9gJLi5uVHQ

I'm done.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

what jifts did you receive from santa this year

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

is it "(best meeting) clipart" or "best (meeting clipart)" because either could work

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

first time I ever open the app and

this god drat industry

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I am just assuming streamer culture is another thing I'll let pass me by and the next generation online apps for the post-zoomer cohort will just be even more invasive and geared harder toward feeding whatever recommendations and I won't know what the gently caress.

This is gonna be my own personal "grandpa doesn't understand the TV remote" situation when they all go super fast gaming the algorithm to get what they want and I'm caught getting white noise or solid-colored videos with a calibration tone back.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Le Guin's intro in The Left Hand of Darkness is the best lens on sci-fi available: http://theliterarylink.com/leguinintro.html

quote:

This book is not extrapolative. If you like you can read it, and a lot of other science fiction, as a thought-experiment. Let’s say (says Mary Shelley) that a young doctor creates a human being in his laboratory; let’s say (says Philip K. Dick) that the Allies lost the second world war; let’s say this or that is such and so, and see what happens…. In a story so conceived, the moral complexity proper to the modern novel need not be sacrificed, nor is there any built-in dead end; thought and intuition can move freely within bounds set only by the terms of the experiment, which may be very large indeed. The purpose of a thought-experiment, as the term was used by Schrodinger and other physicists, is not to predict the future – indeed Schrodinger’s most famous thought-experiment goes to show that the "future," on the quantum level, cannot be predicted- but to describe reality, the present world.

Science fiction is not predictive; it is descriptive.

Predictions are uttered by prophets (free of charge); by clairvoyants (who usually charge a fee, and are therefore more honored in their day than prophets); and by futurologists (salaried). Prediction is the business of prophets, clairvoyants, and futurologists. It is not the business of novelists. A novelist’s business is lying.

[...]

This book is not about the future. Yes, it begins by announcing that it’s set in the "Ekumenical Year 1490-97," but surely you don’t believe that?

Yes, indeed the people in it are androgynous, but that doesn’t mean that I’m predicting that in a millennium or so we will all be androgynous, or announcing that I think we damned well ought to be androgynous. I’m merely observing, in the peculiar, devious, and thought-experimental manner proper to science fiction, that if you look at us at certain odd times of day in certain weathers, we already are. I am not predicting, or prescribing. I am describing. I am describing certain aspects of psychological reality in the novelist’s way, which is by inventing elaborately circumstantial lies.

In reading a novel, any novel, we have to know perfectly well that the whole thing is nonsense, and then, while reading, believe every word of it. Finally, when we’re done with it, we may find – if it’s a good novel – that we’re a bit different from what we were before we read it, that we have been changed a little, as if by having met a new face, crossed a street we never crossed before. But it’s very hard to say just what we learned, how we were changed.

The artist deals with what cannot be said in words.

The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words.

[...]

All fiction is metaphor. Science fiction is metaphor. What sets it apart from older forms of fiction seems to be its use of new metaphors, drawn from certain great dominants of our contemporary life – science, all the sciences, and technology, and the relativistic and the historical outlook, among them. Space travel is one of these metaphors; so is an alternative society, an alternative biology; the future is another. The future, in fiction, is a metaphor.

A metaphor for what?

If I could have said it non-metaphorically, I would not have written all these words, this novel; and Genly Ai would never have sat down at my desk and used up my ink and typewriter ribbon in informing me, and you, rather solemnly, that the truth is a matter of the imagination.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Roosevelt posted:

lol this ad. how old are you, yospos?

ah, the ever aggressive body-building yosposters.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

this is canonically how MononcQc should be written but Unicode isn’t powerful enough

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

it’s Mononc’ (which is a Quebecois term for “uncle” as a contraction of mononcle or “my uncle”) and Qc for Quebec and explaining the bad English back then. I picked the name when I was a teenager where it sounded real funny to me and also was pretty much always unique but now I’m old enough to be an actual uncle and whatever for the nationalistic bit but I kept the name going

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I’ve known for a while but what am I gonna do, change usernames in a billion places?

it’s probably easier now that I use a password manager but pfft at this point, that’s everyone else’s problem

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

infernal machines posted:

yes, but as canadians we are cursed to recognize quebecois

imagine never having heard 15th century french. what luxury

eh that’s sort of a mischaracterization of how languages evolve, sort of similar to how American English and British English are now different, but it would be a mistake to say American English has been frozen in time at the time of North American colonization.

that being said from whatever I have gotten to understand, most countries outside of Europe seem like they’d appreciate not having had to hear about any European language since the 15th century

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I designed these shirts for my team at work and they rule. A teammate has his own vinyl printer, so he made them all for us, and they glow in the dark.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

dude also has his own embroidery machine so we made custom patches too

Only registered members can see post attachments!