Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Audiophilia is snake oil, just buy decent poo poo and be happy with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

PIZZA.BAT posted:

exact opposite for me. i got kicked out of the gifted program because i literally couldn't give a poo poo about anything so they sent me to the guidance counselor who tried to be all sly by saying, 'you know being a brick layer isn't a bad gig either' in an attempt to scare me straight :jerkbag:

I went through this a couple times in elementary school, for some reason they seemed to think that a gifted 6th grade isn't just going to gently caress around all day and get bored with no structure

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Makes sense you're riding around in a log

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

gently caress Blockbuster I miss the mom and pop chains that were here before the corporate stores moved into town

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

They opened a Hardee's here for the first time in like 30 years and I went there once and never again. Of course, it was across town so my burger was kinda cold. Might just be the same issue Burger King has that it sucks poo poo unless you eat it fresh off the grill

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

i wont shop at most of the pawn chains here because for some loving reason they fingerprint you not only when selling but also when buying

What the gently caress, thats like being fingerprinted at a yard sale

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

oh my 2016 rmbp battery bubbled so hard it blasted the bottom cover off. like broke the little screws. I sent pics to our IT guy and was all "i do not feel comfortable shipping this back do you want me to bury it in some sand" and he was all "nah box it up its all good"

That guy is the reason USPS keeps getting more and more strict about shipping anything with a battery

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Self checkout sucks rear end for like 4-5 different reasons, just off the top of my head

I guess it was the evolution of how things were going though, stores have like 10-20 checkout lanes and at most 3 are open at any given time

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

problem is that customers dont know how to scan items at the right cadence so the windows have to be very large. a cashier knows how the scanner runs.

I only occasionally use self checkout and not necessarily for the same items so I have to look and see which side the barcode is on which slows things down a lot

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

pinch me off some of that loaf

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

construct the toblertwo

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Stringent posted:

i remember in high school a girl i was interested in took me to a tori amos concert and it was very instructive because i learned that there are in fact worse things than not having a girlfriend

I've seen her a few times, its weird hearing hundreds of women shout in glee at something a performer does, must be like seeing a boy band or something

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

There was a rainbow during an outdoor Nine Inch Nails show not that long ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXmE8UnnNj4

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

imagine grabbing this out of the pantry when you meant to grab the beefaroni

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I didn't know cobras were that big.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Nice sweater, grandma knit that for you?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

there were far too few 'cheats' built into arcade cabinets, I still remember blowing minds on folks watching me play TOP SKATER way back when in the mid-90s after finding select screen codes for the surfer dude and bodyboarder gal on the internet when it was still a thing of dialup nerds.

I turned an MK2 machine off and back on just so I could see if it really had a line about 'Kano Transformations' during bootup. It did, but it was just Ed Boon trolling.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Losing @dril is my #1 regret from closing my twitter account.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Ernest Cline springs to mind rather than BTTF but otherwise I kinda like it

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's weird how people thought hotdogs and jello were good food back then. Sometimes in the same dish, even.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Why is he killing Jon Snow?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It would probably be preferable to just get incinerated by the blast, than to survive and try to eke out an existence in what's left of the world.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

More like StinkedIn

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

dilzbert guy finally went completely off the deep end and hundreds of newspapers dropped him

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

echinopsis posted:

didn’t they drop him anyway and others too? like not just coz he’s a nut case who has suggested where people never help black people

People have occasionally chimed in here posting his very odd and sometimes offensive takes but this is the first time there's been serious consequences I'm aware of

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Pretty sure GBS were the ones that originally discovered Uli many, many years ago. I dunno, I'm kinda amazed he went from crawling up stairs and not being able to walk in front of mirrors to being a functional person over the course of like 5 years.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Please welcome my newborn son, Darth Vader

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm the 425 Bungholio marks

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I've always been an Addams Family person

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

How are there so many types of cool rocks, all different?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

i dont own a toilet

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

This is an actual hotel room I once stayed in:

Putting the TV above the tub seems like a bad idea

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

At some point I developed a terrible fear of any stinging insect that's bigger than a honeybee. Not real big on cicadas either, though that's mainly because they look grody.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Cornflex sounds the the title of an Aphex Twin B-side

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

haveblue posted:

fail satan

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

infernal machines posted:

way to throw sagebrush under the bus

guffaw

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

well-read undead posted:

i think the audience was also self-selecting in that era (which i’m assuming is roughly late 80s to late 90s or early 00s); only us nerds were attracted to computers and computer things, because they were not broadly useful enough to be attractive to everyone else. if technology were as unapproachable and niche now as it were then, it would still just be us nerds using it, and a much higher proportion of computer touchers would understand those key principles

and we’d all still be arguing about them on usenet

I kinda miss those days. It's kinda like everyone in the loving world discovering your favorite band

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm guessing Sinead committed suicide. Four marriages, claimed to be gay then walked it back, got into a feud with the Pope, became a priest in a splinter catholic sect, quit the music industry forever then walked it back, changed her name twice in a 3 year period, converted to Islam and started wearing the hijab...taken all together, that's just a lot of life changes for one person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

rotor posted:

someone post the picture of the yahoo lady on the yoga ball

Sure thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uIrAN4JneY