Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/juanbuis/status/1521418509514850307

https://twitter.com/nburdy/status/1360220925820604419

e: since the second person got rid of their account and it was cool, this is what the second one was -

https://vimeo.com/582736765

Broken Machine fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Lowclock posted:

Modern DSP stuff is so drat cool. With a $40 microphone and less than an hour of time fuckin with free software, you can dial out all those weird little resonances and phase shifts and stuff, and make a speaker perform in ways traditional analysis says isn't even possible. The filtering and analysis techniques aren't new, but the accessibility sure is and man is it a game changer.

could you explain a bit more about this, with what software i would use to do this, and how? sounds neat

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Lowclock posted:

I use Room EQ Wizard with a Dayton UMM-6 to measure stuff and generate some basic minimum phase filters. Then I export that to rePhase to turn those instead into linear phase filters, and drag some sliders around to even out weird phase/group delay stuff. It will do some math and spit out a filtered impulse response that you can throw into something like Equalizer APO for PCs, Viper or JamesDSP on android, or obviously a dedicated DSP if you have one nice enough to support impulse response correction. If I'm doing multiple discrete channels in a weird configuration like a car, I'll use REW again with the filters active to measure for time delay again and get the soundstage right. It looks pretty daunting at first but it's pretty easy and cheap and fast and extremely effective.

awesome, thanks much Lowclock. i'll have to check out what i can do w/ a basic mic and these

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Sniep posted:

how pray tell do people purport to handle log files without perl?

like what's replacing it for doing regular expressions on lots of lines of textual logged output

i mean, sed? sed is right there. it is a stream editor

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

almost the saddest part of that whole story, is before they hired the idiot cosplayer there to pretend to do ai stuff, they had timnit gebru, mitchell and samy bengio doing world class research. but they asked a few questions that would have affected how they make money, so we get dipshit here instead

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i was in mass earlier today and picked up some herbal refreshments too. i mostly have edibles and a bit of concentrates now and then. flower is a bit too fragrant most of the time, although i do keep a bit on hand

https://i.imgur.com/cnRGCIA.mp4

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

infernal machines posted:

they sell drug in church now?

man, the catholics are getting desperate

yes, it is a sacrament. nuns grow weed, too

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

DELETE CASCADE posted:

also some say the flavor/smell compounds, called terpenes, have a significant effect separate from (or perhaps in combination with) the cannabinoids in the different strains. i don't know if this is true or not, but i know the focus is in the opposite direction of blandness

one thing you can get is a cold press extraction, which they use to make live resin, full spectrum extracts. they may test lower % thc on the lab, but since they have so much more of the profile of the plant, overall you end up getting pretty high from them. they feel the most like just smoking buds to me, coupled with the potency of an extract

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

cards actually a little smaller than 3090 founders. Cooler is big. slap a block on it

nvidia has a reputation for being a difficult company to work with, eg the apple spat that's ongoing, or evga peacing out from selling graphics cards going forward. it's also a waste of resources. i'd like to see graphics go the way of soundcards, and end up w/ integrated memory shared w/ the proc, just allocate it based on usage. that's where apple is going with it

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

i don't really use weed and am pretty sensitive to drugs of all kinds in general, so modern hyperspace superweed makes me Way Too High after a single toke, so that ditch weed looks pretty great to me

i feel like a lot of the perceived difference here in the 70s weed strains is illusory. how to put this politely.. grooming standards were different in the 70s, and weed used to be trimmed w/ the leaves still on and such. adjusted for modern trimming and all, it's probably more similar than different and nearly as potent

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i tried to go through heating ducts. tried to go through the attic down to the basement as well by the laundry chute.

i refuse to go through the outside of the house, i'm not drilling through the brick exterior unless it's absolutely necessary.

my place has drop ceilings, was quite nice for running all the cables through there, i hardwired everything. just had to be careful of the sprinkler system.
although even w/ just wireless now, under good conditions you can get like 150mbps or more, which is sufficient to me mostly; i use that some, too. but if reception / speed isn't good it's more of a chore to take care of

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

echinopsis posted:

love it

what’s that kind of display called?

electronic

(it's a seven segment lcd: here)

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

you could similarly mount the case w/ display inside on an arm, for the ultimate in ergonomics and usability

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

you have to put it in a big pan, ideally on a rack or something so it doesn't go swimming, and cover it, give it ample time to cook and season it. it's not super involved to make a good turkey. making a great turkey takes some effort, like anything

alt: have that turkish chef over to help cook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH0sJu4xKp4

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

reznor asked lil nas if he could add something to old town road, and he kept asking long enough that nas eventually said "ok, yes fine i'll add your sample trent". mostly just so he'd stop asking

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Didn't he get a CMA for that?

yes, he shared one w/ atticus ross for that, listed as a producer for a string sample from ghosts

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

re: rat chat, saw this one the other day

from here:
https://sfba.social/@kscottz/109397219906654765

that display is nice

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Achmed Jones posted:

i tend to agree w jabberlock. if digital painting tools were trying to recreate physical painting it'd be one thing, but half the point is that you can set precise values for opacity, change colors whenever you want, mash undo a bunch, etc. don't get me wrong, i very much want to play with this sort of thing because i've never really messed with physical painting on canvas and id love to play with a reasonable facsimile of it without the mess and expense - but this is a new feature imo, not correcting an existing problem

it'd be cool to have both modes available with a toggle. i suppose it's getting into a question of whether computer things should mimic the real world or not in their implementations; both can be useful

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

that's neat; i wasn't sure what the game was, so i checked and it's blaster master. never played it but it was popular, probably someone here played it and has good memories of it

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

infernal machines posted:

you ever seen a happy lizard?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

shabriri grapes are delicious

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

theres a plugin that highlights snipeable threads

sometimes people have it automated but it's usually just the plugin

i've sniped a few pages, i just used mod arithmetic for it

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

you have to keep in mind that the re: count is off by 1 though if you do it that way

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Bluemillion posted:

The term for either is "Speculative Fiction".

good song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HuWgP-hwCY

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

akadajet posted:

these things never taste as good as they look

\

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Sapozhnik posted:

yet another reason why dark souls 2 was the best in the series

i've been replaying ds2, got the illusory rings the other day. fun game, but also the most divisive as far as opinions of it. i like it, but it's so involved to finish a full playthrough of it. it's way more tedious than elden ring. nice to replay, but i don't think i'll revisit it after i finish with this

here's a speedrun race w/ two speedrunners from esa (spoilers for ds2 obv):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv5clSZKkRo&t=36s

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Salt Fish posted:

My favorite part of DS2 is how they clearly designed it with the idea that you'd take the flame from bonfire to bonfire, saving it at various stationary torches, but abandoned the idea at some point. drat that would have been sweet though. I love that concept.

i played the beta, and they had powerstancing with different effects on the spells.
there are a lot of ideas in ds2 that didn't quite work, and they haven't revisited but it's kind of cool. like world / character tendency in demon's souls

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Beeftweeter posted:

they don't seem to be the same as regular quicktime files anyway (there is no atom structure that i can see and ffmpeg also reports that). i'm guessing they'd have to be opened with something like quicktime 4/5 and then re-encapsulated into the newer quicktime format (not re-encoded necessarily), but i don't have anything capable of doing that handy right now

you could probably do this fairly simply in a vm w/ say virtualbox, and a mac os from that time

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

And why do the scroll bars auto hide themselves? If I open a 200 page pdf and want to quickly jump to about 3/4 of the way through, what is the interaction apple intends for me to perform?

oh, this one is because if they can cause you to misclick through the menus, they can get you to click on the things you'd rather not, but that make them money. it drives engagement, you see

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

really though, if we went back to like 640x480, or even like a 4 color 320x200 cga display, and had people relearn / understand how to make uis, we'd be better off for it

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i think what's the most bothersome about the ai gpt images is that it's a visual representation of the wasted potential vs. the actual abject state of the internet today, and it's much more a part of the latter

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

ha!1 the shirt says oval office. it's like an acrostic

tacos

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Shaggar posted:

OBELISK MARKET is my favorite grocery store.

yeah, hannaford isn't bad

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

give him the pink eyes and change the mic to a fat blunt, 10/10

?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

in the back of a closet here i found some old boxes of lecture slides dating back to the late 70s. this is one of them

that 3d model reminded me of one of the models in the game for tron, '82

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmPbeHCkAmc

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

there's a vr version of rez in hd now, if you like the game

i like the demos. the 64k ones are my fav

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3n3c_8Nn2Y

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

mediaphage posted:

i tried the rez vr game. maybe i’m missing something but i feel like it’d be no different if it were just one large cutscene. it’s very easy and obv the visuals and beats are nice but i guess i didn’t see the point of it being a game

did you finish it? i found it pretty challenging in the later stages. there are a bunch of different modes, a lot of which you have to unlock by completing various challenges. it's meant to be a whole synaesthesia type of experience

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

you could double the timeout you get every time, but it never decreases. so eventually you're probing yourself for weeks to give another a 15 min

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

a hellraiser pinhead helmet could be fun once in a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

duz posted:

everything has more blood in it than you expect

i figured out once, roughly how large a sphere would be if you exsanguinated every person on earth, and made a big blood sphere. somewhere around 400 meters in diameter, for ~40 billion liters of blood, 8 bil peeps. icyww. it was smaller than i'd expected