Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the webb space telescope is producing its first test images. here it is compared to the previous best IR space telescope, the spitzer:

seems pretty good! i like knowing that there are still good things happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah it is.

check out this video from a guy who built a 3d printed copy of the actuators that move the JWST's mirrors. using a single stepper motor and some incredibly clever and cool engineering, it can drive its segment of the mirror back and forth a couple of inches with 8 nanometer precision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MxH1sfJLBQ

the zero-backlash flexure that achieves the final precision totally geometrically, like an old fashioned reducing pantograph, is just so drat cool.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

thats an incredibly dumb take unless you have a suggestion for a replacement for the layer paradigm. im all ears.

mediaphage posted:

node-based image editing

why not both?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

i still dont know what a node is

are you talking about an object? like the things illustrator has?

an operator in a graphical programming environment. like blender's shader nodes. you pipe the output of one function into the input of another and the data is evaluated and transformed along the chain.

here is keyshot generating a parquet wood floor material with nodes.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 11, 2022

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

huh guess ive just never had a problem with this order of operations or w/e thats cool tho ty for explaining

nodes are definitely the way of the future. functionally they're basically like having an API and scripting language for your graphics program, but they're easier to pick up and fart around with than writing actual code. once you get the hang of it, you can build very complicated stuff with relatively few operations.

for instance here is a grasshopper thing i made the other day that generates bizarre carbon fiber bike frame shapes from a few freeform curves and sliders.

check out the blender thread for a bunch of insane poo poo that fart simpson and jenny agutter do with it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

I read some people commenting on this and other things and the small takeaway was that it’s far better to have a car that feels fast even when you’re going slow than a big car that feels slow when it’s going fast

if you want the sensation of speed, sure.

the fastest-feeling car i have ever been in was an MG midget on I-90 and i never want to do that again.

these days i'm not really into fast cars though. i still think it would be cool to have an NSX, sure, but i'm like where would i keep it? and it's not the sort of thing you use to pop down to the grocery store. meh. if i want a thrilling vehicle i have a fast motorcycle and i can go fly a plane. i just want my car to have comfortable seats and a good heater

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

this is what happens when you plug the computer's usb-c ports into each other

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

you can literally literally only navigate on sea (let's allow for rivers and lakes because some fucker is bound to try that too smhd), on land faffing about with a compass is orienteering

It's called navigation in airplanes too, so it's not just on water. I think the more general rule is that it's navigation if you are supported by a fluid.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's too bad everything is https now cause it would be great to redirect all image requests on adult sites to a picture of dad in his underwear

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfFVt6VD5cM

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

don't miss the rest of the video to see the rest of his projects

ostrich drone, rat drone, shark flying wing, and badger submarine

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

im this old

i am just a little younger than you, i guess.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gRt8LWpbT4

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i appreciated this youtube thumbnail.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tell me about it. It costs me $16 to fill up my motorcycle now instead of $9

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if you go on instagram and scroll past the 10 or so posts that are from your friends, the feed will rapidly turn into that stuff.

in other news instagram sucks rear end these days and i've essentially quit using it. i miss back in like 2012 when it was literally just a scrolling feed of pictures your friends took and no other features. not even any comments. it was nice

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I don't know why I find absurdist poo poo like this funny but gat damnit I really do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BnLbv6QYcA

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What is in these pills anyway?

Like, for instance Spanish Fly, the famous aphrodisiac of days past, is ground up Cantharides beetles, which contain an extremely poisonous substance that causes an burning sensation in the bladder and urethra once metabolized and excreted in the urine. I could see how people might think "my dick is on fire, the pills must be working!"

Is there something similar in the joker pills?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh my god

just running 7000 volts over a couple miles of unsurveyed, unpermitted, unmarked, uninsulated, invisible steel aerial wire, as you do

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

last one of those i did was a torturous series of like seven 30-minute online slide presentations, each narrated by a synthetic voice that sounded like a robot on quaaludes

fortunately, i discovered after the first one that you could click the "i am deaf" accommodation button and it would give you a pdf with the presentation script. then it was just a matter of skipping to the quiz and ctrl-F

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Action Jacktion posted:

219... the yospos number....

Vegeta! What does the scouter say about his power level?

*Crushes scouter*

It's over 218!!!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

i have trouble focusing on things closer than 2 feet from my head, i really don't understand how vr could work for me

Nobody can focus on a screen 2 inches in front of their eyes. There are lenses in the headset that put the screen image virtually about 10 feet away.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

So like... I'm assuming that because the request came from Facebook, it's part of their defense against the antitrust case, right? "Hey look here's another company that also makes VR headsets, so we can't possibly be a monopoly?"

In that case shouldn't Facebook be covering the cost?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MrQueasy posted:

but not glasses wearers

my glasses fit fine under a quest 2 with no mods

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rotor posted:

has anyone had any luck getting their eye dude to actually give you your prescription in writing?

it's federal law that they have to.

that said, i've had some give me a hard time and others do it with no question. i had a guy once try to tell me that zenni etc would make glasses with the wrong prescription and screw up my eyes somehow. he then tried to fake me out by giving me one without the IPD number on it. i pointed that out and he gave me an exasperated "ALRIGHT" and did the measurement. i didn't go back to him.

currently i go to golden vision at stonestown and the receptionist will just print a copy if you ask. try them. i think last time i didn't even have to show id lol

like i know they make money selling the glasses but lmao a full price designer frame is like minimally a 15,000% markup on materials and labor. even warby parker does just fine at about a third the price of what the opticial sells. get hosed

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 10, 2022

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

Wow, that's some rear end in a top hat move. I was concerned about being able to get my prescription in a form to take home so i could buy more pairs from Zenni. what sort of questions should i ask up front?

just look it over and make sure it's complete. power for each side, cylinder and axis for each side if you have astigmatism, and pupillary distance, which may be a single number if your face is pretty symmetrical, or two numbers if it isn't.

i forget what the prism figures are but you'd know if you have those.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

e: misread your point. Yes of course I am but i know these places make all their money on frames and lenses, so i don't put it past them to gently caress me on the take-home prescription to teach me a lesson or whatever

if they intentionally gave you the wrong prescription out of spite for not buying from them, that is huge malpractice and you'd be rich

e: to be clear, when the guy gave me the one without IPD, that's not a wrong prescription. it's just incomplete and they can't make the glasses without that figure. any optometrist can measure it in 10 seconds, but i couldn't have completed an online order without it.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 10, 2022

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nessus posted:

There are phone apps you can use which give a pretty plausible result. Zenni also has various tools you can allegedly use.

I used a phone app and ordered Zenni glasses and if they're off it's by a tiny, tiny amount, enough that I'm still basically getting the full benefit.

yeh. mine has been +/- 1mm on the last few prescriptions i've gotten, and i've never noticed a problem from that. your pupils move around with your gaze and they get closer together when you focus on things up close, after all, so it's always going to be an approximation.

Beeftweeter posted:

hm. i definitely need to update my lenses and if i can skip the optometrist that'd rule

do you have an "official" measurement to compare to? anyone else done this?

you can use the same number that's on any of your older prescriptions, unless you think your eyes have moved around on your face.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 10, 2022

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

your prescription will change, but i don't think your interpupillary distance should, because your eyes are stuck where they are in your skull.

idk though i'm not a doctor

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah, that would do it. the astigmatic axis is going to be different because of something to do with how the lenses sit on your eyes vs when they're sitting in front of them. (both of mine are 5 degrees different from the glasses axis, in opposite directions). also you can in theory get an axis prescription measured down to single degrees, but they don't make disposable lenses in that many variants, so you'll get whatever is closest.

i only occasionally wear contacts, but they're not quite as pin-sharp as my glasses, which i attribute to these issues with the astigmatism.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i bet it's bullshit, but i like the idea.

bionic lungs full of algae reminds me of peter watts' rifters.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW7n43gvOg4

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i like the weird little asymmetrical blink that piter does right at the end of that clip, and a few more times in the move iirc

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Agile Vector posted:

revenge of the nerds is super in that category of film. the increasingly worse implications "for laughs" are, i'm certain, responsible for irreparably poisoning a lot of dumbos that empathized with the nerds

Yeah, the last time I watched revenge of the nerds I was like drat. The jocks are right. These nerds are horrible and must be destroyed

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Agile Vector posted:

Right?! If anything, they're doing the local community a service

i think the current state of society has proven that jocks provide a vital service in keeping the nerds down. look what happens when they become powerful billionaires! i'd much rather work for a company run by an ex-quarterback

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

compared to musk or zuck or beeze though? are you sure?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

there's a great alfred hitchcock bit where he talks about dividing fear into dread, terror and horror.

dread is what you feel when something is going to happen but it hasn't yet.

terror is what you feel the moment it happens.

horror is what you feel when you look at the aftermath.

he says that it's trivial to make horror because all you have to do is pour buckets of blood on everything. but it's also the least effective scare. terror is better, but you can only get a couple of moments of terror before people start to see it coming and roll their eyes. movies about dread are by far the most effective, but also the hardest, because you have to imply things without ever showing them.

when i think about it, all of the best "horror" movies are really about dread, with only brief moments of terror or horror to punctuate things. alien, it follows, get out...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hell world

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Make the fat go away through vibration or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i don't really use weed and am pretty sensitive to drugs of all kinds in general, so modern hyperspace superweed makes me Way Too High after a single toke, so that ditch weed looks pretty great to me