Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

You Are A Elf posted:

Who the gently caress maintains their house for $5,000 yearly? These snobs remodeling their kitchen every year?

Poolboys don't come free :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica

Milo and POTUS posted:

Honestly with as expensive as home maintenance can be...

Thats nice dear

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

i can't afford it look at my budget!

no i can't spend less on candles!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

You Are A Elf posted:

Who the gently caress maintains their house for $5,000 yearly? These snobs remodeling their kitchen every year?
You can probably blow through that on cleaning the siding, roof, and windows on a (multi)million dollar mcmansion. Maybe a bit of lawn and yard landscaping with the leftovers.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Billy Ray Blowjob posted:

Thats nice dear

lol not like id know. I'm poor as gently caress. But I got a friend who bought a shithole and every day it's something new and usually expensive

DemonToadGoat
Jan 12, 2015

I'm the 10k in misc so that the left over is a smaller number

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

You Are A Elf posted:

I’ve been to many estate sales in multi million dollar homes mansions. The one thing that has stuck out to me is that the craftsman ship is usually pretty bad. Most of these people are paying a premium for a facade covering lovely plumbing, electrical, and framing.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

You Are A Elf posted:

$5k is almost nothing for home maintenance. there's a ton of things that go into maintaining a home.

a kitchen remodel for my small-ish house is like $60k.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

DemonToadGoat posted:

I'm the 10k in misc so that the left over is a smaller number

I'm the charitable donations that are 50% higher the average rate for people of this income range

because I'm one of the good ones even though I look at my piddly $7300 savings and complain about taxes, and vote republican, and yell about Big Government wasting our money on illegals and drug addicts

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Can you imagine having all this budgeted away, every single thing you'd need including 'misc' and being like 'oh no only 7 grand left over :((((((('

gently caress these people for thinking they are average.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Klyith posted:

I'm the charitable donations that are 50% higher the average rate for people of this income range

because I'm one of the good ones even though I look at my piddly $7300 savings and complain about taxes, and vote republican, and yell about Big Government wasting our money on illegals and drug addicts

They itemize everything so they get a tax break on the “charitable donations” lowering their effective tax rate even more. Also they own the charity.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

You Are A Elf posted:

lol

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

lol $5000 in maintenance barely covers basic upkeep

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
They feel average because the husband's wiener is 5.5" long erect and changing their dumb budget won't make them feel any less average.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

zedprime posted:

You can probably blow through that on cleaning the siding, roof, and windows on a (multi)million dollar mcmansion. Maybe a bit of lawn and yard landscaping with the leftovers.

It cost us $4500 just to put in a French drain to stop the basement of our lovely $160K house from flooding, which I would consider a maintenance cost.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i did a french drain myself with a pick axe and a shovel instead of renting a machine or having someone else do it. after i was done (took like a month worth of weekends to complete the project with the PVC, gravel and filling it back in), i would have paid $4500 in a heartbeat.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

kntfkr posted:

They feel average because the husband's wiener is 5.5" long erect and changing their dumb budget won't make them feel any less average.

Wait... the average wiener is 5.5"? This is very unsettling

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
oh nooo I only have $600/mo discretionary spending budgeted after spending 4 entire full time minimum wage salaries on vacations, charity, extracurriculars, and "miscellaneous"

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i did a french drain myself with a pick axe and a shovel instead of renting a machine or having someone else do it. after i was done (took like a month worth of weekends to complete the project with the PVC, gravel and filling it back in), i would have paid $4500 in a heartbeat.

Yeah I contemplated doing it myself but it runs 35 feet across the back of the house and then underground another 80 feet down the side of the driveway out to the road. I ain’t doing all that.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Morpheus posted:

gently caress these people for thinking they are average.

these people don't exist, and no actual $500k earners look like this budget

the person who needs to get hosed is the toady journalist who came up with this chart and massaged it as much as possible to look "reasonable" even though it's full of bullshit and actual lies (40% effective tax rate? the 2019 income tax capped at 37%)

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I'm not sure I've spent $9k on clothes in my lifetime, let alone in a single year

The most expensive things I guess I own is like four hand-tailored suits I picked up in Asia for $300/piece

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Yeah I contemplated doing it myself but it runs 35 feet across the back of the house and then underground another 80 feet down the side of the driveway out to the road. I ain’t doing all that.

oh you went out the road, nice.

i put a 55 gallon drum with the bottom cut out on top of like 12 inches of gravel and surrounded by gravel in the back yard. i have 2 different french drains that run and connect to the drum. so its basically a huge reservoir underground that can buffer the water to seep into the ground below the clay line.

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I'm not sure I've spent $9k on clothes in my lifetime, let alone in a single year

The most expensive things I guess I own is like four hand-tailored suits I picked up in Asia for $300/piece

I identify as a family of four for food and alcohol

Not for clothing

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
to be clear, the actual amount of income tax this hypothetical couple paid on $464k net salary after 401k, minus $18k in charitable deductions, was:
$110k
thus they are either the stupidest people in the world and gave the IRS a $75k overpayment, or they actually have $82,000 in the bank even after spending a quarter-million dollars on a pretty lavish lifestyle

when we get out the guillotines, we need to remember that every financial journalist gets put in line with the rich :thermidor:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Poohs Packin posted:

in the grimdark future of the 41st millenium there are only the edgiest of posts

Lol

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

oh you went out the road, nice.

i put a 55 gallon drum with the bottom cut out on top of like 12 inches of gravel and surrounded by gravel in the back yard. i have 2 different french drains that run and connect to the drum. so its basically a huge reservoir underground that can buffer the water to seep into the ground below the clay line.

Very nice. We live on a hill so all the water runs down towards the back of the house and pushes up against the foundation, hence the basement flooding. Meanwhile the water in front of the house floods down the driveway and creates a luge in the winter. So now the drain routes the water from the back down the side of the driveway and there’s a secondary pipe that connects the front gutter to the drain as well. Right now the back gutter runs into the drain too but we’re thinking about running it into a rain barrel to use for gardening.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
i'm on a hill, too, but the water actually floods my backyard, which is frustrating in the summer because of all the bugs it attracts. luckily the french drain seemed to fix it. i'm very fortunate that my basement has never leaked or flooded in my life.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
when my parents bought their house their crawlspace flooded badly every time it rained hard. I remember having to help them use the wetvac to sop it up and dump it outside

Two French drains later (first one the contractor failed to do it correctly and my parents had to sue to get their money back) it's all dry and now is a tiny lil wine cellar

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Klyith posted:

these people don't exist, and no actual $500k earners look like this budget

the person who needs to get hosed is the toady journalist who came up with this chart and massaged it as much as possible to look "reasonable" even though it's full of bullshit and actual lies (40% effective tax rate? the 2019 income tax capped at 37%)
You can start hitting 30-40 through low six figs if you have worthwhile state and muni taxes. Don't forget FICA is another 6% on the first hundred grand or so beside income tax because rich people sure don't let you forget about it.

It's a whole other conversation that you usually start restructuring income in most circumstances you stand to make as much as this couple.

There's so many other things to make fun of like spending more than a lot of people make a year on, generically, 2 children. Food, clothes, and extracurriculars are different bullet points so I have to assume that was the price to purchase the kids themselves.

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
WASTE DETECTED:

The Kids doing things instead of me

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
No
No, youre right

New guttering was the better spend. And come winter, sitting, hearing, the rain run and break so perfectly between the fingers of the drainage mesh.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
the only time I met rich people I got lost in their house

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica

Animal-Mother posted:

the only time I met rich people I got lost in their house

I'm usually surprised how stupid they are. Like just dumb as tacks.

Maybe youre rich

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i don't know what brothel you guys go to but you're getting ripped off on french drains

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

kntfkr posted:

i don't know what brothel you guys go to but you're getting ripped off on french drains

Wow sounds like someone doesn’t have 80 feet of pipe running out to the road :smug:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I'm the miscellaneous at 10k a year, which works out to a respectable 200 dollar per week coke habit.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

ikanreed posted:

Who makes that much and only invests 18k a year?

401k contributions have an annual cap of 18k per person (actually 20.5k now, but this graphic is old), so they are maxing out the most tax-efficient investment space available to them at $36k / year. I wouldn't be surprised if they are also getting some kind of employer match at around 5% of their salary, which doesn't count against the annual cap, so they likely could be adding another $25k to their 401k for a total closer to $60k/year. That's actually not too bad... a bit over 10% of their income invested annually. They earn too much to be able to use a roth IRA account (unless through a backdoor), so they are at least filling the best investment buckets to fill in their situation.

Also, you can probably consider their mortgage an investment of sorts, since they could downsize when some/all of their kids move out, or move to a cheaper area when they retire. They also have life insurance payments, which... well that seems like a terrible investment if you're already rich, but it is another type of investment I guess. And with their income they are definitely going to cap out the social security payout when they reach retirement age. That system won't be the golden goose it was for boomers by the time they retire (assuming this is a gen x or millennial couple), but it will probably still give them a decent monthly payment.

My point is, I think they could squander their embarrassingly large income on whatever they want and still end up filthy rich in retirement with what they're doing. There's almost no way to fail, aside from of things like civil war, climate collapse, etc. which nobody can really plan around short of learning how to live underground eating mushrooms and cave lichen.

Of course, they could also just live like a normal family on a <$100k income, invest the extra $250k or whatever is leftover after taxes every year, and retire comfortably wealthy after less than 10 years in the workforce. And then do whatever the gently caress they want with whatever healthy time remains to them from their mid 30s on, but I mean, who's to say if that would be better than working a full 30 years living a turbo-consumption lifestyle? (It's me, I am saying that would be better, unquestionably.)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm the loving $18,000.00 given to Charity on the yearly.

gently caress off. lmao

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Klyith posted:

to be clear, the actual amount of income tax this hypothetical couple paid on $464k net salary after 401k, minus $18k in charitable deductions, was:
$110k
thus they are either the stupidest people in the world and gave the IRS a $75k overpayment, or they actually have $82,000 in the bank even after spending a quarter-million dollars on a pretty lavish lifestyle

are you including state taxes in this? in some states they will pay an extra ~10% on top of the federal tax rate. with those salaries i assume they live in california or nyc or somewhere like that with high state / local taxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

sigher posted:

I'm the loving $18,000.00 given to Charity on the yearly.

gently caress off. lmao

(it's their church)