Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
A new trailer dropped for this show a few days ago and I was quite surprised to find that there was no thread for it yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg86eQkdudI

It's no secret that the ending of Game of Thrones was a loving poo poo sandwich—one so fowl-tasting that it actually made me like Game of Thrones less. I used to be obsessed with this stupid-rear end show and its books, but after 2019 I barely ever think about Lannisters, Starks, or even Greyjoys anymore.

But this trailer, against all my better judgement, has me feeling a little bit excited. First off, looks like D&D are not attached at all which is good, and the plot is set during what I think is probably one of the most interesting periods in the ASoIAF timeline: The Dance of the Dragons, a civil war between rival Targaryans.

Post your speculation about the new GOT prequel here! Then, when it starts airing and it's terrible, shitposts may find their home in this thread as well.

Here's an older video as well just to fill out this OP a little more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DutTzFxg5NU

Premieres on HBO on Sunday, August 21, 2022

timp fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Hard pass

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

gross

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

I fuckin respect this take

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I will watch it but I will be wary of it

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'll probably watch it when it's all out but the dragons and poo poo were the lamest part of GOT so I have a hard time believing this'll be any good.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I'm the dude who shits up the GoT S8 thread with my theories on how the ending of the books is going to be different while still hitting some of the same beats, and I'm giving this a Hard Pass because my interest in ASOIAF/GOT is strictly limited pretty much now to waiting until the books come out to confirm all my dumb little theories about Dany being Jon's sister and him killing her being a Blood Betrayal and STARTING the Long Night.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

imo if they didn't want to completely bury GoT as a franchise then I think they should have A.) waited a couple more years for the stink to die off, and B.) started small, with some sort of weekly problem-of-the-week procedural that delivers a whole story, start-to-finish, within an episode.

Like hell if I'm about to trust them enough to start watching what looks like another slow-burning years-long epic storyline in the hopes that somehow they might not completely gently caress it up this time.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'll probably watch it when it's all out but the dragons and poo poo were the lamest part of GOT so I have a hard time believing this'll be any good.

yeah.

trailer really leaned in hard to GOT even using it's two most famous theme songs. i'm surprised at that because of how negative the internet opinion of the show turned but then most people are casuals and don't care/liked the last 2 seasons. there weren't any good lines in the trailer to make me curious.

if the trailer is anything to go by they're also even just doing dany 2.0 except this time probably she won't go genocidal at the end.

there are a lot of fantasy TV shows out now. the early seasons of GOT still stand out a level above them all, and who knows maybe this will too, but i'm not currently any more interested in this than i am for wheel of time season 2 which had a decent first season.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Also I'm not a book reader but have picked up some stuff rom the wiki - is this one of the Blackfyre Rebellions? Is the guy with a second head gonna be in this? If not they hosed up.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Bring it on. I enjoyed GoT for the most part but didn't care enough to commit sudoku over the ending like some people.

A good story is a good story so I'll give it a chance.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm on board.

What am I gonna do, not watch an HBO show?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Groovelord Neato posted:

Also I'm not a book reader but have picked up some stuff rom the wiki - is this one of the Blackfyre Rebellions? Is the guy with a second head gonna be in this? If not they hosed up.

It’s like 150 years before that. There were a few big Targ civil wars, this was the second.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Can't wait for another half-story from the absolute fucker that ends with the Girlboss going Crayzee and getting put down so some sullen little boy can sit the throne

Batmans dad
Jun 27, 2008
I'll watch it, because I'm amazingly stupid.

This is based on a book as well, right? From what I gather, it's not great. O boy

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

This is going to turn disappointing really quick. At least I hope, I don't want to hurt again.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Debuts August 21 for anyone wondering.

JohnnyQPublic
May 5, 2022
I'm holding off on any GOT related until Martin finishes it. (Provided he does finish it and doesn't shuffle off this mortal coil ala Jordan). I haven't even read Dance With Dragons or whatever was released after Feast Of Crows, plus I saw some summaries of the last season and it looks like I missed nothing.

I think Martin's GOT is both a blessing and a curse for him, on one hand he get some steady income from all the licensed GOT stuff (coming soon Game Of Thrones-MONOPOLY), and he has a rabid fan based that will read anything he writes but on the other hand because he takes so drat long to release material on the main story those same fans are getting tired of it. I know several people who couldn't give two shits about the prequel and just want him to finish the actual series.

BUT any chance to see Matt Smith aping for camera is fun.(Unless it in Morbius)

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
im in for the hot witch tits

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
Ready to hate watch the gently caress out of this.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

how bout a King's Quest tv show called Graham of Thrones

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

timp posted:

I fuckin respect this take

Same, yeah.

I'll watch this because my standards just aren't that high, but I can't comprehend the person who's genuinely hyped for this. I'm expecting at best the narrative equivalent of a microwave burrito, kind of satisfying if I'm drunk and unwilling to leave my home, and I know it's going to make me feel like poo poo later.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I think this show has real promise if they put Geralt of Rivia on it. Game of Thrones didn't end so great, the Witcher's not looking so hot, let us call a spade a spade.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
The book was kind of a condensed version of what make Game of Thrones fun. Weird political stuff, subversion of expected plotting, and a low lying undercurrent of fantasy poo poo. I liked it.

Now they're going to uncondense it so who knows what this'll be like. Probably not so good.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i have an idea for a spinoff. Young Melisandre: the Adventures of the World's Shittiest Prophet

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
It's me. I'm the fool who is kind of excited for this. Not hyped, but will definitely give it a watch :filez:

Good or bad, maybe this show will get the publishers to put their foot down and try to push for a solid release date on Wind. Maybe. Or who am I kidding?

But again, I am a fool. :eng99:

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

This is going to suck poo poo and I am going to watch all of it at least twice

edit: at least Benioff & Weiss are not making it, there's a tiny bit of hope

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I am actually really holding out hope that a fresh writing team will be a major boon for this show

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

uber_stoat posted:

i have an idea for a spinoff. Young Melisandre: the Adventures of the World's Shittiest Prophet

The new adventures of old melisandre (she gets her magic necklace in this show)

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

the male lead is a young cressen, prior to becoming a maester, finally explaining why he distrusted so much in the season 2 opener

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I remember the effort that went into the op for the early season threads and the last two seasons fittingly just had the YouTube link to the trailer. Nice to see House of the Dragon getting the same respect.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

ruddiger posted:

I remember the effort that went into the op for the early season threads and the last two seasons fittingly just had the YouTube link to the trailer. Nice to see House of the Dragon getting the same respect.

1000% agree that’s all the good will this show has earned so far

but also more generally effort-post OPs in TVIV are just so 2010’s, imo. Go to imdb if you want to see a still shot of every character. I’m also not trying to convince people to watch either cause I think pretty much everyone will have no problem forming their own opinions far before they ever find their way here.

So yeah in other words, :effort:

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
I assumed Aegon in the trailer was Aerys, the king Jaime killed, and worried they were de-aging actors like that Charles Dance looking guy in it. Happy to hear it's 200 years in the past for a fresh start.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

timp posted:

1000% agree that’s all the good will this show has earned so far

but also more generally effort-post OPs in TVIV are just so 2010’s, imo. Go to imdb if you want to see a still shot of every character. I’m also not trying to convince people to watch either cause I think pretty much everyone will have no problem forming their own opinions far before they ever find their way here.

So yeah in other words, :effort:

It wasn't just imdb pictures, there was some hardcore effort to collate all the characters and settings from the books and the correlation to what was known of the seasons at the time, with links to the ice and fire wiki, book passages, maps, etc. Like, I barely even know what book this is adapting and who the hell shows up in this (it's adapting Fire & Blood, I think? And I think the Targ in the trailer is Daemon Targaryen, so it's focusing on the War of the Greens and Blacks, where there were like 30 Targ heirs loving each other up? I think?).

If this series was released before the last two seasons of GoT, this thread would have pages of theory crafting on if Blood & Cheese would show up and what actors would portray them. As it is, no one gives a poo poo about Blood & Cheese (rightly so, as its a clear desperate grab at another Dunk & Egg fanciful naming scheme) and the thread barely manages to stay on the first page of TVIV.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Phenotype posted:

imo if they didn't want to completely bury GoT as a franchise then I think they should have A.) waited a couple more years for the stink to die off, and B.) started small, with some sort of weekly problem-of-the-week procedural that delivers a whole story, start-to-finish, within an episode.

Like hell if I'm about to trust them enough to start watching what looks like another slow-burning years-long epic storyline in the hopes that somehow they might not completely gently caress it up this time.

I can't believe HBO picked this over the prequel set 10000 years in the past. That pilot must've been an absolute stinker if they passed on it. I want to see it more than I want to see this show.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I gotta say, I'm almost entirely indifferent to this show. If people I trust tell me that it's worth watching, I'll probably give it a look. If they say it sucks or is even just blah, then forget it. Unlike when GoT itself debuted, there's a lot of fantasy TV out there. Wheel of Time, Witcher, Rings of Power, probably more coming down the line that I haven't even heard of yet. House of the Dragon ain't Game of Thrones. It ain't the only choice for high production value fantasy TV. So it can be judged on it's own merits instead of as a rare thing we've all been waiting for.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

jng2058 posted:

I gotta say, I'm almost entirely indifferent to this show. If people I trust tell me that it's worth watching, I'll probably give it a look. If they say it sucks or is even just blah, then forget it. Unlike when GoT itself debuted, there's a lot of fantasy TV out there. Wheel of Time, Witcher, Rings of Power, probably more coming down the line that I haven't even heard of yet. House of the Dragon ain't Game of Thrones. It ain't the only choice for high production value fantasy TV. So it can be judged on it's own merits instead of as a rare thing we've all been waiting for.

Yeah, there’s no way in hell I’m just giving this a chance on faith. There’s really no way of knowing how good it will be based on writers and show runners or whatever but I’ll need to hear some good things before I spend any time on this show.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
man it is so funny how badly D&D screwed up the Brand

if GoT's last season is just OK then HBO has three prequel series greenlit and is probably looking at an Arya spinoff or something. Now everyone's just kind of done with GoT. It had a stranglehold on pop culture for a full decade and now this! incredible bag-fumbling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Well you can't blame them, they had that lucrative Star Wars project that was going to make them rich(er) and set them up for li.... oh yeah :laugh:

Anyway when I first saw a teaser for this series I laughed because who is gonna watch more GoT after they poisoned the brand so badly.... and then saw Matt Smith was in it and realized I was going to at least give it a try goddammit.