Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
The idea of a centuries-long clerical conspiracy in ASOIAF is hilarious just because it's so wildly ahistorical and it'd be, in itself, a work of magic. the jesuit conspiracy wasn't actually real!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

tatankatonk posted:

The idea of a centuries-long clerical conspiracy in ASOIAF is hilarious just because it's so wildly ahistorical and it'd be, in itself, a work of magic. the jesuit conspiracy wasn't actually real!

And also how every single member of this supposed conspiracy in the story so far has been a raging incompetent.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Xiahou Dun posted:

Marwyn the Mage, the one who hosed off to meet Dany. Also I think you meant "father" instead of "grandfather" but like whatever : it's the Targs so I don't know if they're 100%. (Also, I had to stare at the sentence for a really long time and imagine a family tree to be sure.)

Yea I can see how I'd get confused there.

That DICK! posted:

they'd merced like a baker's dozen of each other kids by that point, i'd say the beef had pretty good grounds to feel personal both ways by then

I think by that point is was just Jace, Luke and Joff that were dead, Aemond isn't killed under after I think? And Helaena is purely Aegons fault. Wait, does the Bread and Cheese Assassins kill Aegon's kids before or after that? I wish Had my Worlds of Ice and Fire to referance, but its somewhere in a box in storage.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

tatankatonk posted:

Its not unheard for the Maesters to have some kind of organizational goal that they work towards. The GOP did just complete like a 60 year project to usurp democracy after all

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
i am not loving ready to see my king in the leper's mask

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Yea I can see how I'd get confused there.

I think by that point is was just Jace, Luke and Joff that were dead, Aemond isn't killed under after I think? And Helaena is purely Aegons fault. Wait, does the Bread and Cheese Assassins kill Aegon's kids before or after that? I wish Had my Worlds of Ice and Fire to referance, but its somewhere in a box in storage.

Blood & Cheese kill Aegon’s son Jaehaerys as payback for Aemon killing Lucerys, which is the first two big kills of the dance. Jace dies like a goofball right in the middle of the war getting shot down during some naval battle, and Joffrey doesn’t get it til way later.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

ruddiger posted:

Blood & Cheese kill Aegon’s son Jaehaerys as payback for Aemon killing Lucerys, which is the first two big kills of the dance. Jace dies like a goofball right in the middle of the war getting shot down during some naval battle, and Joffrey doesn’t get it til way later.
Joffrey dies trying to prevent the Dragon Pit riot if i remember, Rhaenyra wants everyone to stay in the red keep but Joffrey is in "gently caress that" mode and go there with his dragon so Rhaenyra sends like 7 knights to bring him back. There is a bullshit song about it but it may be my memory mixing stuff. edit: it's not. The song is called "the Seven who rode".

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 6, 2022

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Toplowtech posted:

Joffrey dies trying to prevent the Dragon Pit riot if i remember, Rhaenyra wants everyone to stay in the red keep but Joffrey is in "gently caress that" mode and go there with his dragon so Rhaenyra sends like 7 knights to bring him back. There is a bullshit song about it but it may be my memory mixing stuff. edit: it's not. The song is called "the Seven who rode".

Pretty sure he takes his mother's dragon which is why he gets his rear end thrown off.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Visenya landed Vhagar in the courtyard of the Eyrie?

I know that Vhagar was smaller in those days, but drat.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Platystemon posted:

Visenya landed Vhagar in the courtyard of the Eyrie?

I know that Vhagar was smaller in those days, but drat.

Westerosi gunship diplomacy

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ruddiger posted:

I thought it was Joff that died in the navel battle, his ship went down and was shot full of arrows while clinging to wreckage? Also its funny with Corlys going on about his legacy and such when his house is all but forgotten by the time of Game of Thrones. They are sworn to Stannis but its not really implied they're particularly important if I remember. That and stealing Cersei's fleet.

I realized that Woiaf is like the rpg sourcebook, but Fire and Blood is like when someone writes a novel based on that RPG setting so there's more detail of the characters.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

twistedmentat posted:

I thought it was Joff that died in the navel battle, his ship went down and was shot full of arrows while clinging to wreckage? Also its funny with Corlys going on about his legacy and such when his house is all but forgotten by the time of Game of Thrones. They are sworn to Stannis but its not really implied they're particularly important if I remember. That and stealing Cersei's fleet.

I realized that Woiaf is like the rpg sourcebook, but Fire and Blood is like when someone writes a novel based on that RPG setting so there's more detail of the characters.
The velyarions were still masters of ships under Aerys II

as others mentioned, it's because they were so high up in the Targaryen hierarchy that they were reduced thus post-rebellion

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

I am pretty sure Rhae was just eaten, not set on fire, which is way worse because it seems like dragonfire basically instantly incinerates you so there's little pain, and Aegon II being super lovely and cruel, would want it to hurt. How dare his aunt, his grandfathers chosen heir, usurp the throne that his kinda crazy mom said is his.

They don't outright state that she was burned, but it is confirmed that dragons don't eat raw meat, they use their breath to cook it first. So that much is implied at least. Not sure if that's more or less horrifying :stonklol:

I'm guessing dragons have some degree of control over the intensity of the breath, so it ranges from setting things alight to outright incinerating them, or even turning stone molten in the case of Harrenhal.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Dragonfire can’t melt stone towers.

Wake up, smallfolk!

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Iirc they do explicitly say "Sunfyre burned Rhaenyra before biting her" but its still a horrible way to go no matter

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

hey i had a neat thought. if laenor's alive DhaeNerya is invalid but for the valyrian custom of allowing multiple spouses. otherwise aegon III viserys and all subsequent targs are illegitimate. ipso facto rhaegar targaryen could, in fact, just up and decide to take a second wife with no explanation and his children with her would be legitimate. i think ol' georgie's plantin a little seed in our brains for his Jon Snow show

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

That DICK! posted:

hey i had a neat thought. if laenor's alive DhaeNerya is invalid but for the valyrian custom of allowing multiple spouses. otherwise aegon III viserys and all subsequent targs are illegitimate. ipso facto rhaegar targaryen could, in fact, just up and decide to take a second wife with no explanation and his children with her would be legitimate. i think ol' georgie's plantin a little seed in our brains for his Jon Snow show
Depends on the actual valyrian traditions. To me, it always sounded like the targs marry their sisters because the matrilineal line matters as much in term of succession. Hell if the mother being of Valyrian blood matters, it's the greens who are the "bastards" versus Daemon's children.
The thing is we know jack poo poo about actual valyrian succession rules pre-doom.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 9, 2022

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Maybe the Targs were the weird ones even in Valyria.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

bobjr posted:

The Shelbyville of Valyria.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
I've only been casually keeping up with this show, but I just started watching episode 6. It took me a moment to figure out that they had recast Rheanyra. Immediately turned it off. Shame too, because Milly Alcock was the best thing going for this series. So done with GRRM poo poo. Also, I could have sworn the king died at the end of ep5 so how in the gently caress is he still alive in ep6?

Anyways, thanks for listening to my rant.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Alright, you’ve been warned about your sock puppet accounts Milly

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

bobjr posted:

Do the supplementary materials mention multiple wives? I havent read them, just a lot of wiki of fire and ice and i always wondered if the marryimg brothers and sisters thing wasnt just a targ only thing from being stuck on dragonstone, my recollection of the evidence of valyrians being inbred was simply a few throwaway lines about keeping dragon rider blood pure but the great houses of valyria could easily have done that without becoming signifigantly more inbred than the great houses of westeros

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Do the supplementary materials mention multiple wives? I havent read them, just a lot of wiki of fire and ice and i always wondered if the marryimg brothers and sisters thing wasnt just a targ only thing from being stuck on dragonstone, my recollection of the evidence of valyrians being inbred was simply a few throwaway lines about keeping dragon rider blood pure but the great houses of valyria could easily have done that without becoming signifigantly more inbred than the great houses of westeros
Aegon the conqueror was married to his two sisters and Maegor the horrible horrible meanie got a harem of like 6 wifes(including his niece). And no children because he was apparently sterile.
edit: Jaehaerys the great king was married to his sister and king Goon's first wife was his cousin (born from his Targaryan aunt and an Arryn lord). And there we are with a distinct lack of chin.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 9, 2022

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I mean in old valyria, in service of the idea that maybe targs are just weird perverts and not following ancient traditions of other old perverts

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
The first targ in westeros who actually brought the family over is noted to have had 4 wives, so if it's targ weirdness instead of valyrian weirdness it's at least targ weirdness they were already doing in valyria, but yeah actually i'm pretty sure the books specifically say that polygamy was a thing but uncommon among the valyrians.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

Toplowtech posted:

Aegon the conqueror was married to his two sisters and Maegor the horrible horrible meanie got a harem of like 6 wifes(including his niece). And no children because he was apparently sterile.
edit: Jaehaerys the great king was married to his sister and king Goon's first wife was his cousin (born from his Targaryan aunt and an Arryn lord). And there we are with a distinct lack of chin.

I thought inbreeding lead to chins so massive you keep sliding off the throne?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So I wonder if we're going to find out the Alicent didn't get Cole to announce Aegon the Hunter Biden on her behalf, but it was an idea that was either Otto or Cole on his own. It seemed at the end Alicent was kind of tired of the fued within the house, and she had seen how destructive it was. The look Otto gives when she goes to Rhae and looks like she is honestly trying to make amends is one of "what what the gently caress is she doing?". Until Aemond gets pissy everything was going really well, and maybe that changed Alicent's mind there, that maybe they don't have to kill each other. Jace and Heleana dancing is adorable, they both seem so happy together and marrying the two of them would have probably lead to another generation of peace and prosperity.

Its sad knowing so many of these characters are doomed and to be honestly, its due to Otto's ambition. Being Hand wasn't enough, he had to have a king that was his direct blood. And he got Aegon II, the poo poo teen that is probably exactly what he wanted, a king ruled by his desires that he can control. Though that doesn't work out to well for him. Except Aemond, that guy is a fucker, can't wait to see Dark Sister shoved through his one eye.

Also I'm curious how long the show will go on without Rhaenrys, as after her being turned into dragon snacks the Blacks still keep fighting, and that means the show will keep going after who its main character is dead.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

no way, shes fully on board team green at this point, she was genuinely tired of the war and wanted to mend fences but the end blew that up. she thought (and has no reason to doubt) that what viserys said at the end at the end there, his final words to her were "my son aegon needs to be on the throne to unite the throne from bad prophecy sounding poo poo but really you YOU are the person who's gotta make poo poo happen". she left the room before he clarified my daughter my daughter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1o3koTLWM

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

so if we have two more episodes in the season, its gonna be lord beesbury gettin got next episode and luke getting btfo by aemond in the season finale right

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Some of these recasts are on point but Aegon Way of House My Chemical Romance looks barely older than the window jerker guy.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

boo boo bear posted:

I thought inbreeding lead to chins so massive you keep sliding off the throne?
Yeah but magic, i guess. Dragons fly, shadow babies kill, chins shrink.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

banned from Starbucks posted:

Some of these recasts are on point but Aegon Way of House My Chemical Romance looks barely older than the window jerker guy.

he does come off as way more malevolent instead of merely spoiled tho

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

lol Aemond is going to slaughter Lucerys.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
There's no way in hell they kill Lucerys this season. They'll save that for season 2 since it dominoes into a series of other important poo poo (Blood and Cheese!). They still need to time-skip Aegon 3 and Visy 2 up to a point where it's believable that Aegon flies a dragon across the ocean and has the ability to tell his mom what happened. They need to establish Aegon's kids so we actually give a poo poo about them when Blood and Cheese show up.

The early parts of the civil war is all politics and maneuvering. We need to see Jace being handsome and charming with Lord Stark and convincing the North to join the war. The work to make the Vale come down on the side of the Blacks. There needs to be scenes where Otto is supplanted by Cole, who ends to driving the king down the path to ever more violent decisions. And finally we need to have Daemon take Harrenhal in a bloodless surprise maneuver with his dragon. There are lots of things that are part of the civil war that occur before Aemond gets pissy and decides to make things go hot.

They've done the hard work this season of taking us from teenage Rhaenyra to 30-something Rhaenyra, introducing all her half-siblings, her kids, Daemon's kids, and all these players who are now roughly the right ages. The show is going to take it's time now, and let us take time to get to know everyone so that their sudden and senseless deaths and maiming will hit harder.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Oct 10, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

tatankatonk posted:

so if we have two more episodes in the season, its gonna be lord beesbury gettin got next episode and luke getting btfo by aemond in the season finale right

Correct.

Also in the season finale, Daemon is going to sing to Vermithor in High Valyrian.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
One detail I liked was rather than having short hair, Rhaena had her hair in dreadlocks like her male Velaryon relatives to demonstrate her tomboyish-ness, while Baela styled her hair like her mother’s. Good way to adapt that from the book into the visual language they’ve created in the show.

Also the quiet “you’ll be great” Rhaena gave Luke after he was toasted as the future Lord of the Tides was really sweet. Really setting the audience up to root for these kids, and then shatter those hopes in a spectacular fashion.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Anonymous Zebra posted:

There's no way in hell they kill Lucerys this season. They'll save that for season 2 since it dominoes into a series of other important poo poo (Blood and Cheese!). They still need to time-skip Aegon 3 and Visy 2 up to a point where it's believable that Aegon flies a dragon across the ocean and has the ability to tell his mom what happened. They need to establish Aegon's kids so we actually give a poo poo about them when Blood and Cheese show up.

The early parts of the civil war is all politics and maneuvering. We need to see Jace being handsome and charming with Lord Stark and convincing the North to join the war. The work to make the Vale come down on the side of the Blacks. There needs to be scenes where Otto is supplanted by Cole, who ends to driving the king down the path to ever more violent decisions. And finally we need to have Daemon take Harrenhal in a bloodless surprise maneuver with his dragon. There are lots of things that are part of the civil war that occur before Aemond gets pissy and decides to make things go hot.

They've done the hard work this season of taking us from teenage Rhaenyra to 30-something Rhaenyra, introducing all her half-siblings, her kids, Daemon's kids, and all these players who are now roughly the right ages. The show is going to take it's time now, and let us take time to get to know everyone so that their sudden and senseless deaths and maiming will hit harder.

Yea that was the thing that stuck out, Aegon III becomes king when he's 10 I think, but then Aegon II rules for 3 years, and that kid did not look 7.

Also they still have not bothered to make any of the Greens likable outside of Heleana, I listened to Alt Shift X's post game show and he runs a poll on who's side everyone is on and like 87% people said side Black. Rhae's kids are all shown to be legitimately good people, and so are Daemon and Laena's kids, its Alicent's two boys which are completely poo poo. Aegon is a drunk rapist, Aemond is just itching to start murdering. I guess Daeron the price who has not appeared or mentioned might not be a poo poo, but he's being fostered in Oldtown so who knows?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
This thing seems like it’s going to be done after two seasons, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Until the Blood and Cheese moment the Blacks are generally more sympathetic, it’s only after than and when Rhaenyra slowly loses herself as her children are killed where things even put more.