Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I don't want to dig for the old thread, so I'm just going to leave this GoT writer's wikipedia entry here because I was given occasion to look for it and holy :lol:

quote:

His wife was working as a nanny for David Benioff, at the same time that Cogman was working on a pilot pitch script (for a project that never materialized). Benioff agreed to read over Cogman's script, and was impressed enough that he hired him as a personal assistant.

Of relevance, I'll probably check this out because it'll be nice to look at and not much else will be on the air when it hits. Besides, the Targaryens were always otherworldly and depending on which avenues the show chooses to explore, it could be fun. I have HBO either way anyway so hell, why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I remember making gifs for the second season thread, I think. That was... a decade ago. Huh.

If I have nothing else to do when this comes out I'll give it a watch, but I'm quite torn on whether or not to hate watch it. More likely than not I'll wait to binge the season when I have an empty weekend, because I don't think I'm gong to be as devoted to watching it as soon as it airs this time around.

They really did salt the earth behind them with season 8.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Wheel if Time was terrible. I hope Rings of Power is good

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I really wonder what happened with Wheel of Time behind the scenes - the casting was good and they did about as well as they could to demonstrate the depth of the story but I don't know that anyone who wasn't already invested in the story would care enough to watch another season.

Even knowing that they had a lot of challenges with COVID conditions, cast complications, etc... yeah I just don't know. If nothing else the show needed another 2-4 episodes, but Amazon cheaped out and it shows.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

i'll give it one episode

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mat Cauthon posted:

I really wonder what happened with Wheel of Time behind the scenes - the casting was good and they did about as well as they could to demonstrate the depth of the story but I don't know that anyone who wasn't already invested in the story would care enough to watch another season.

Even knowing that they had a lot of challenges with COVID conditions, cast complications, etc... yeah I just don't know. If nothing else the show needed another 2-4 episodes, but Amazon cheaped out and it shows.

what happened is they got a showrunner who was determined to Change poo poo and Subvert Expectations but did not have a very good or coherent plan beyond that

should have either stuck to the books or changed a whole lot more, because the changes are almost all incredibly dumb, and the biggest changes are the dumbest

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Propaganda Machine posted:

I don't want to dig for the old thread, so I'm just going to leave this GoT writer's wikipedia entry here because I was given occasion to look for it and holy :lol:

Of relevance, I'll probably check this out because it'll be nice to look at and not much else will be on the air when it hits. Besides, the Targaryens were always otherworldly and depending on which avenues the show chooses to explore, it could be fun. I have HBO either way anyway so hell, why not?

Oddly enough, Cogman was credited with writing the few decent parts of the worst seasons. At the very least, his dialogue tended to actually sound like two people actually having a conversation, which is a low loving bar, but it was there.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
hope there's some dragons in this i like thos..

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I wish I could remember the details, but wasn’t there a story we used to :lol: about in the GoT threads where a lower level staffer made some lame suggestion for a plot device that D&D loved so much they used it and promoted the person to the writing staff for the next season?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mat Cauthon posted:

It cost like $15 million an episode and looked like complete poo poo

They spent like as much money as Game of Thrones on sets and costumes and extras and then didn't color grade it correctly

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Kevyn posted:

I wish I could remember the details, but wasn’t there a story we used to :lol: about in the GoT threads where a lower level staffer made some lame suggestion for a plot device that D&D loved so much they used it and promoted the person to the writing staff for the next season?

quote:

"We had an assistant named Dave Hill," said Benioff and Weiss. "One day last summer he walked into our office and said, 'You know that kid (Olly) whose family gets massacred by the wildlings? The one who runs to Castle Black to let them know the wildlings are nearby?' 'Yeah?' 'Well,' said Dave, doesn't it make sense that he'd stay at Castle Black and become a Night's Watch recruit? Where else is he going to go?' 'You're right,' we said. 'That does make sense.' 'And what if during the battle for Castle Black, he's the one who ends up killing Ygritte?' This year, Dave Hill is a writer on the show."

That's actually what made me think the thing with Cogman was so funny!

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
That always seemed like D&D making GBS threads on the guy and telling him who was boss. That anecdote will follow him for the rest of his life.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Mat Cauthon posted:

What above posters said. And also they were about a decade too late on the whole 'big budget prestige fantasy tv' thing.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Collateral posted:

That always seemed like D&D making GBS threads on the guy and telling him who was boss. That anecdote will follow him for the rest of his life.

Which part of actually filming the arc is D&D making GBS threads on him?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Maybe this show tricks grrm fans and general fantasy nerds into watching but lol if they think the soccer moms and football fans are going to give enough of a poo poo to come back and hit the viewership numbers early GoT had.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
New trailer dropped today

https://youtu.be/DotnJ7tTA34

More dialogue in this one, a few snippets of character interactions…first impression is that it looks more like early GoT than late. But I also know there’s a considerable amount of wishful thinking happening there :smithicide:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
It looks real cool. I can't wait to check it out and give it a chance v:shobon:v

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Propaganda Machine posted:

Which part of actually filming the arc is D&D making GBS threads on him?

I don't believe Dave Hill has a writing (or filming) credit for that arc outside of that specific anecdote. Its incredibly condescending.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I don't think that's how it's intended at all. D&D were just genuinely blown away by his little proposal and they made him a writer the next season so they could harvest more of his "good" ideas. The reason that dumb anecdote gets passed around so much is because it perfectly encapsulates how loving out of touch D&D were.

It just makes it even funnier to know that they didn't even give him a writing credit for it lol.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

timp posted:

New trailer dropped today

https://youtu.be/DotnJ7tTA34

More dialogue in this one, a few snippets of character interactions…first impression is that it looks more like early GoT than late. But I also know there’s a considerable amount of wishful thinking happening there :smithicide:

i think theyre trying to trick people who barely know GoT into thinking this is a direct prequel, that the girl in this is supposed to be Danaerys, lmao

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Me personally just scrap tying into GoT and make this prequel anyway. I could care less about continuity beside all the dumb posting we are still gonna get.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
this comes on tonight

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

It's already been leaked, and it was okay. It'll at least be something to watch on Sundays.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I watched the leak and I actually liked it a lot.
This coming from someone who only recently got over their hatred of the GoT finale and who really doesn't care about the Targs and dragons all that much.

It just feels comfy coming back to a political backstabby fantasy show with great production values.(the industry-wide wig problem not withstanding, but I've seen worse wig work in Marvel movies/shows)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok seeing how we now have two active threads for this show maybe one of them should be a spoiler thread for the dorks who actually managed to slog their way through Fire and Blood

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Pretty good, will keep watching instead of hate-watching. Disappointed that there wasn't a cool intro like GoT.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
There's just nothing for me to watch on TV right now really. The Bear, I need to check out, and then this. gently caress it, I liked the world-building in Westeros. I'll give this a chance after 3-4 or episodes drop.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Bear slaps. It was much better than House of the Dragon episode 1. Maybe this should be a thread about The Bear instead.

(I did like HotD ep 1 more than I expected and will for sure continue)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Ok seeing how we now have two active threads for this show maybe one of them should be a spoiler thread for the dorks who actually managed to slog their way through Fire and Blood

As one of those dorks, I’ll just say I’m really surprised they haven’t been drilling names of the characters into the people watching the trailers. I keep forgetting who the guy in the trailer’s supposed to be. There’s a lot of similar names in this story so it’s interesting they’re not trying to distinguish between anybody in the promo material.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Escobarbarian posted:

Mods please change the title of this thread to include something about this being the SPOILER thread, and maybe Escobar can see about changing the title of the other one to mention no spoilers. I've never had a thread I made get gassed before so that'll be cool

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I didn't think I'd ever be back for this but here we go

gently caress my poo poo up HBO

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
This is the official show thread now: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4010245

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Like a wight raised by a White Walker, this thread has been revived and is sure to be horrific in nature

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't know who needs to hear this, but Rhaeneyra gets eaten by a dragon

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

PostNouveau posted:

I don't know who needs to hear this, but Rhaeneyra gets eaten by a dragon

I wonder how they'll depict this. IIRC in the books it's a slow, terrible process—a far cry from Varys in the final season of GoT which I seem to remember was just like a quick torch and a single bite

Fun fact: The only two species that eat their food cooked are humans and dragons :eng101:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Looking forward to Kermit Tully getting hosed murked and his sons Oscar and Elmo pick up the banner.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Thanks a lot for reopening the spoiler thread.

So neeeeeeext episode:

There were a poo poo tons of "spy" photos of a big set pieces for the HOD shootings in Cornwall and it looks like next episode features Daemon chaining dozen of pirate prisoners next to broken Essos city flags on the beach for them to drown with the raising tide, Ironmen style. It's a Stepstone war thing according to the book. Soooo happy they don't minimize that poo poo because it's basically lone dragon fighter versus pirate island. It's so much better than the 15 years time cut and suddenly Viscerys got 3 children i was afraid of.

Some video from last year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7enoPEd7dpg

I am personally really happy they don't rush through the story, i just wonder what the season final will be: Blood and Cheese, or the Queen Who Never Was dying?

ruddiger posted:

Looking forward to Kermit Tully getting hosed murked and his sons Oscar and Elmo pick up the banner.
Yeah Kermit sounded extremely inapt in the book, i hope they cast him well. Cregan Stark, Rudy The Ruin his Winter Wolves gonna own.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I hope they preserve some of the ages from the books, I want to see 11 year Crash Benjicot lead House Blackwood with the Winter Wolves.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

timp posted:

I wonder how they'll depict this. IIRC in the books it's a slow, terrible process—a far cry from Varys in the final season of GoT which I seem to remember was just like a quick torch and a single bite

Fun fact: The only two species that eat their food cooked are humans and dragons :eng101:

What about dogs? My girl has only ever eaten cooked food since I got her.

What books are you guys talking about? I heard they went over this time period in Fire and Blood, but I thought it was just a dry sorta history book, not a proper novel.