Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

gross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

imo if they didn't want to completely bury GoT as a franchise then I think they should have A.) waited a couple more years for the stink to die off, and B.) started small, with some sort of weekly problem-of-the-week procedural that delivers a whole story, start-to-finish, within an episode.

Like hell if I'm about to trust them enough to start watching what looks like another slow-burning years-long epic storyline in the hopes that somehow they might not completely gently caress it up this time.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I don't think that's how it's intended at all. D&D were just genuinely blown away by his little proposal and they made him a writer the next season so they could harvest more of his "good" ideas. The reason that dumb anecdote gets passed around so much is because it perfectly encapsulates how loving out of touch D&D were.

It just makes it even funnier to know that they didn't even give him a writing credit for it lol.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

timp posted:

I wonder how they'll depict this. IIRC in the books it's a slow, terrible process—a far cry from Varys in the final season of GoT which I seem to remember was just like a quick torch and a single bite

Fun fact: The only two species that eat their food cooked are humans and dragons :eng101:

What about dogs? My girl has only ever eaten cooked food since I got her.

What books are you guys talking about? I heard they went over this time period in Fire and Blood, but I thought it was just a dry sorta history book, not a proper novel.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

Would it have killed them to make it at least like a hurdy gurdy cover or change the time signature or something, anything rather than just doing a ctrl+v in Audacity.

I'd have taken a mariachi version over more of the same.

I liked it at first but now it annoys me. There were too many years where I got very excited to hear that song start to play for it not to have any effect on me now, and it makes me feel vulnerable. I want to enjoy the show but I just don't want to get hurt again. :ohdear:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Marsupial Ape posted:

Most likely. My “internal canon retcon so I can enjoy this bullshit”

Just wanted to point out that this is the most intelligent thing you can do with any media franchise, especially the ones spread over multiple decades with different writers and production teams. If there's something that you think is really loving stupid, just ignore it, it didn't happen. Do you think it's unrealistic for there to have been a thousand Lord Commanders? Then it's just the maesters loving with the history books and there's really only been a hundred, or however many makes sense to you.

(This also lets me have a good time with Star Wars, which was this old sci-fi trilogy from the 70s and 80s that they've been trying to revive recently. There was a decent videogame that came out a couple years ago, and this TV show The Mandalorian that's a lot of fun!)

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Finale leaked early. Still watching rn but this gave me a chuckle:

feel like they mighta framed that shot a little differently, kinda ruined the moment lol

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I wish they hadn't cut the implied scene where some peasant farmer goes out to milk the cows and finds his field covered with hundreds of pounds of dismembered dragon. Or, I guess since this is Game of Thrones, it probably landed on him, or at least his cow or his daughter or something.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Who comes up with the names Greens and Blacks for the two rival sides? I think this episode was the first time I noticed them say it in the show.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

They were fighting above the ocean.

That can't be true, can it? If they were fighting above the ocean, then no one would have known what happened. Visibility was bad enough for the dragonriders, enough to play hide and seek with a dragon the size of an apartment building. There's no way anyone on the ground could have seen what was going on up there. I figured some nearby farmer must have gotten a few hundred pounds of free stew meat and the Baratheons pieced it together based on Aemond threatening Lucerys and his little dragon.

Or is the thought that Aemond told everyone what happened, and they just sent a raven to Dragonstone saying "hey, sorry, things got a little out of hand, etc."?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

oh hay also: when Daemon was going on about how they're so strong because the other side only has four dragons and they have like 20, was he taking into account the fact that Aemond's dragon is like 20 times bigger than Lucerys's? Does the Dragonstone gang have anything that big, or is their strategy going to be to feed smaller dragons to Vhagar until he gets bloated and drowsy?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

its not worth reading fire and blood if i liked this show, right? wasn't someone saying the dance of dragons was just a couple chapters in one of the books?

i have also vowed to never give grrm another dime until winds of winter is released (and then to pirate even that, if its at all convenient).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

ugh i did it. i feel so slimy. they even showed me a picture of the absolute fucker in his terrible hat when i checked out.

i bought it through amazon too so im doubly awful. :(

e: i also got those churu tubes for my kitty and the rawhide sticks my dog likes and also some gummi hamburgers for me so you just can't beat the convenience