Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Goddamn does this show benefit from being allowed to timeskip between episodes. Being able to go from 'hey we should declare war on this rear end in a top hat' to 'the war has been going on for ages and it sucks.' without having to spend an entire season on it is immensely useful in telling a political story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Yea which is why they're all "eh, he's Targ enough" when he took the throne, but i don't think it was mentioned that they came with Aegon.

Man I'd love to see a Robert's Rebellion series, and show a more turthful verison of the story, about how Rhaegar and Lyanna Stark were totally into each other and that generally the entire thing was built on a lie that Robert told himself, and Ned's honour forced himself and the rest into the war over that lie.

That brief moment in one of Jaime's chapters were he remembers the last time he saw Rhaegar and he remembers being told "when i put down this rebellion, things will change" which is heavily implied that Rhaegar was going to come back and take out his dad and end the madness.

I mean... not for nothing, but Ned only became a factor in the rebellion after king Aerys set his father on fire, strangled his brother to death in a saw trap, then demanded both he and Robert be sent to King's Landing. Or, well, their heads. Despite it being known as Robert's Rebellion, it was Bandon Stark who rode to Kings landing and started poo poo by telling Rhaegar to come out and die.

The war was honestly less about Lyanna at all, so much as the whole murderous insane king.

Caros
May 14, 2008

mightygerm posted:

It’s weird how much sympathy the blacks get when their actions up to this point can be called “selfish” at best. House Velaryon has basically been ruined by the two of them.

Funny thing is that for all the guy's snivelling, it hasn't.

Luke is going to keep the name Velaryon as per the agreement with Corlys. Luke's wife is Corlys's granddaughter and will inherit the seat from Luke after Luke dies.

So at *worst* they have one non blood related person with the velaryon name ruling before they are back to legitimate velaryon blood.

If they'd married Luke off to some other family, it would be an issue, but as it is, it is more of a hiccup.

And even that wasn't their fault so much as Corlys having a gay son.

Caros
May 14, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

I love how every time they deviate from the book, you can tell, because the plot instantly gets 300 times stupider.

Way to not end the entire thing at a stroke with minimal loss of life, Rhaenys, that'll show 'em when everyone on that dais is dead anyway and so are you, your entire family, almost all the dragons, and hundreds of thousands of other people.

I mean, not for nothing but I imagine it would be morally difficult to not pull the trigger on murdering your sister in law and a number of your nephews and nieces in cold blood.

With hindsight being 20/20 it is far from ideal, sure, but this isn't letting the bad guy live at the end of an action movie, it is not preemptively murdering your extended family.

For what it is worth, she might still believe (incorrectly) that the attempted coup could be foiled without everyone having to die.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Typo posted:

yeah at this point it wasn't clear that there -would- be a civil war yet, both Alicent and Rhaenyra at this point were open to peaceful solutions

that being said the scene was still ehhhh

Oh to be clear, it isn't great. She isn't written to be a stupid woman and I feel like she should see the writing on the wall, but I don't really blame her for not doing a murder.

I think it probably would have been better to skip the 'dragon murders 100 innocent people' part of it, but her expression and everything else was very much, that she knew what was the correct move but couldn't take it, which is reasonable.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Odoyle posted:

What squire did Rhaenys have downstairs to help her get suited up in her dragon riding armor?

I assume that it was just a gently caress up on behalf of the greens.

She is the only dragon rider in town not on their side, and she is locked in her room. At no point did anyone think to tell the staff at the dragon pit that she was anything but rheir honored guest, so they treated her like one.

Def a gently caress up, but an understandable one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Ballz posted:

I watch with subtitles and at one point it said something like “Vermithor growls”. Also earlier in the episode they name drop all the current riderless dragons at Dragonstone so even if you didn’t know which one that specifically was, you could assume Daemon is trying to round them up.

What’s annoying about subtitles - at least on Hulu - is that anytime someone speaks Valyrian a big [SPEAKING IN HIGH VALYRIAN] subtitle pops up literally on top of the hard-coded subtitle making it impossible to read.

It could be worse. My girlfriend went five seasons of game of thrones watching on a digital copy where you had to activate subtitles.

I walked in on her watching an episode and was confused as to why she was watching one of the Dothraki sections without subtitles. Turns out she thought that large swaths of the show being in unrecognizable languages was an artistic choice.