Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
Mushroom's history is one of the best part of Fire and Blood

"actually, I personally hosed all the major players in this political event with my huge penis!"

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

CapnAndy posted:

Mushroom's history is more like "actually, all the major players in this political event were just constantly loving and sucking each other, total pervs and morons, while I heroically ran the whole goddamn war from both sides because I am the smartest and have the biggest dick". Every time the maester is forced to admit that actually, in this case Mushroom's account of certain events is the most plausible, even through the text you can see just how annoyed he is to have to give any credibility to the history.

he's basically the asoiaf equivalent of national enquirer

even if it's like 95% BS once in a while you get a John Edwards

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Mameluke posted:

ya lmao of all the horrible fictitious targs i also hate baelor the most

did anything bad actually happen during baelor?

IIRC nothing bad actually happened everyone just had to put up with his batshit insanity for a while

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
I guess refusing to gently caress his sister-wife did eventually lead to the blackfyre rebellion so there's that

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I'm having trouble remembering Aegon II before he gets crispy, but I thought it was Aemon that was the rear end in a top hat more than Aegon. Aemon is the one that tries to harass his cousins and gets a knife in the eye for his trouble. Aemon is also the one that turns the cold war hot when he kinslays.

Aemond*

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

CapnAndy posted:

What can they do, though? The Targaryens all murder themselves pointlessly, Aegon III is a depressed wreck who has a miserable life, the dynasty never recovers even a fraction of its strength, and apparently Dany goes loving crazy and ends the line forever so we can't even flash forward to her on the throne or something.

the dynasty itself did recover. The Targaryens did hold on for like another 150 years or so post-Dance and even brought Dorne into the 7 kingdoms. Not having dragons wasn't nesessarily a fatal blow.

The military balance of power did shift decisively away from the Targaryens once the dragons died. But it's like even without dragons the regime and institutions built by Aegon and Jaehaerys were firm enough that it didn't really need dragons to function anymore unless and until someone really really fucks up.

That didn't come until Aerys II, and even being obviously insane didn't cause the realm to revolt and replace him. It took him unlawfully torturing/executing 3 of the highest ranking nobles in the realm (Rickard/Brandon/the Arryn heir) for there to be a major revolt and even then half the realm supported him and he probably could have crushed the rebellion if he just made slightly better decisions.

Come to think of it Jaehaerys is basically one of the greatest fictional kings of all time, he's like the Westerosi equivalent of Liu Bang or Augustus. The Empire he consolidated was remarkably stable and successfully weathered 2-3 major crisises which would have destroyed most medieval regimes.

Typo fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 14, 2022

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah same. Until this show I thought the Targs were a thousands of years dynasty

The Starks, Arryns, Lannisters are the 3 great houses can claim to be 1000s of yrs old I think

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

bobjr posted:

Just have the last episode be Cregan Stark showing up and being pissed off at everything, killing or sending someone to the wall.

End on an Aegon IV preview.

that has to be the way it ends right?

E: get Sean Bean to play him LOL

Typo fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 14, 2022

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Platystemon posted:

The Arryns’ status as a Great House only dates to the Andal Invasion.

the andal invasion was like 4000-5000 years before GoT

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Platystemon posted:

The Targaryens weren’t even the only dragonlords to survive the Doom. They’re merely the only ones whose dragons survived the ensuing series of wars (“Century of Blood”) over the remnants of the freehold.

All of the Free Cities, excepting Braavos, were colonies of the Freehold. Valyrian blood can still be found in them, but no dragons.

Volantis is the obvs parallel to Byzantine Empire

quote:

I just remember that the books and early seasons made a big deal about covering Dany’s hair, even in Essos, because it was so distinctive. There’s still got to be whole towns full of the silver haired weirdos. Like how Westerners may talk about “the lost Mayan civilization”, where there still are whole rural communities of ethnic Mayans in South America.
IIRC it's mentioned that in the ex-Valyrian colony free cities silver hair and purple eyes etc are pretty common

it's only in Westeros that it was a big deal, I guess it would be like if a Moorish person showed up in Scotland or something in actual history

Typo fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Sep 14, 2022

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
I'm kinda wondering how long the dance arc is gonna be now

I kinda leaning more towards 3 Seasons than 2 at this point. There's a lot of characters (Aemond/at least 2 of Rhaenyra's sons/Aegon etc) that you need to flesh out for the 2nd half

Feels like 2.5 seasons is optimal

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
Lyonel Strong

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Jaxyon posted:

I don't think the issue is the *sides* being good or bad, but having a character I can root for who isn't a pretty lovely person. You can still have fairly good/honorable people involved in a pretty awful conflict, especially when you're talking about fantasy entertainment and not anything like a real history.

It helps a viewer invest in a show rather than just moving from titillating violence or sex each episode. How do you expect me to care about a character arc if I don't like the character

You can root for morally grey characters: Jaime in GoT is good example

Also....Tyrion in the books, but in the show he's whitewashed into being unambiguously good

quote:

not anything like a real history.
The dance of dragons is based directly on the Anarchy in English history, Rhaenyra is pretty clearly based on the Empress Matilda

GRRM's history of westeros is a lot of "find-replace" of English history

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Anarchy

Typo fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 16, 2022

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

alcaras posted:

The Cole / Rhaenyra scene didn't happen in the books, right?

the books basically gives 3 version of events and the show is like a mixture of all 3

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Bloody Pom posted:

Not that I can find, but imagine Robert but a Targ and 10x worse and suddenly the title makes sense. He sired a whole bunch of bastards and legitimized a lot of them on his deathbed, which directly led to the Blackfyre Rebellions.

he also spread rumors that his own son and actual legit heir Daeron was a bastard, specifically to spite his wife (and sister) Naerys

he more or less killed her too, she basically realized that she would die if she had to go through 1 more childbirth and begged Aegon to stop having sex with her but he just kept going, probably because he hated her. She died in childbirth.

the dude was truly vile and Aemon the Dragonknight should have just kingslayed him

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Toplowtech posted:

Aemon the Dragonknight is super weird, because he obviously would have made a better King but uncle the king made him white cloak when he was still 5th in the inheritance line. Also died protecting Aegon if i remember correctly.

yeah he did

the reason why Aegon hated Naerys iirc is because he always secretly envied Aemon since Aemon was well the dragonknight while Aegon was a fat disgusting slob and Naerys really wanted to get with Aemon rather than Aegon

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

ruddiger posted:

Is Aemon the one who gets bashed in the head and has his brains leaking out when he takes off his helmet in the dunk and egg book?

no that was baelor breakspear

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

bobjr posted:

I think you'll get some of them at least, presumably the most important ones like Nettles, while cutting some on the lesser important ones.

They need at least 3/5

nettles, Adam valyrion and Hugh Hammer

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
I guess that one time where the old lord dude poisons himself along with Urf ala Gus Fring (except without the antidote) might make a good scene

also:

"my apologies"
"for what"
"you fell in battle" *stabs*

is kinda funny

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
I think it's safe enough to say that we'll prob get S2 of this show

scenes I look forward to:

Cristen Cole dying ("I'll have no songs about how bravely you died")

Betrayal at tumbletown

Daemon stabbing Aemond in the eye

The sheperd's revolution

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Pattonesque posted:

really curious if they have Daemon live and slink away to go live quietly with Nettles

Left ambigious (they never find the body) prob

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Anonymous Zebra posted:

The show was already renewed. I'm not sure if they'll get that far next season though. Don't Criston and Daemon both do those things at the end of the war? I see both living all next season, but all the kids dying. We WILL get Blood & Cheese though.

I think the dance arc will be 3 seasons

I think the "big" eps 9 moment in S2 will be Daemon vs Aemond

S3 will be about Rhaenyra's downfall/aftermath

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
really like what they did with Cole's character in the show

in the books he just came across as power-hungry and brutal, in the show at least he started out honorable and had a believable story for his descent

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

bobjr posted:

I think in universe both sides have their biases, so on Rhayerna’s side it’s treated like he betrayed her, when Alicent it’s treated like he’s the one who corrupted Aegon II and made him bad.

But even without biases I feel like they won’t make him a good guy in the show.

he's definitely going to be bad guy by the end

the big bad will clearly be Aemond tho

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
it also prevents them from dragging on a series for too long

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
well tbf to Aemond he got one of his eyes put out by the "Valyrion" brothers as a kid

that seem like an origin story which would legit tip someone into villainhood later

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

ruddiger posted:

I can’t wait for Otto to come back to court only for Aegon to be like “gently caress off gramps, Criston’s my hand”
also looking forward to

Aemond: "you have lived too long uncle"

Daemon: "on that much we agree"

Typo fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 29, 2022

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

twistedmentat posted:

I thought this was the Northren Conspiracy but that's actually about dealing with the Boltons rather than the Targs pre Robert.

I don't think Cerasi was ever promised to anyone before Robert? She wanted Rhaegar but he married what's her name from Dorne.

It is painted as a tragedy that Rhaegar died before he could become king, but he was pretty much the architect of his own demise.

I forgot that Cole tries to one on one a Black but they go yea right and mag dump arrows into him. That will be satisfying to see. I figure tonight we'll see Daemon and Rhae get hitched, and then next week Visarys will die and the end of the season will be Rhae being crowned on Dragonstone. And then Mushroom pops up and goes "as so the Dance of Dragons begins!" As his whips out his dick.

I wonder if they'll make it explicit that Daemon got Qarl to kill Laenor

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
I wonder what htey are gonna do with Laenor, maybe he comes back as one of the dragonseeds?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

bobjr posted:

The Greens get the armies closest to Kings Landing on their side with the Reach and the Lannisters, while the Blacks have the North and the Vale which take more time to get there, and once they do show up the Greens are vastly outnumbered and lose most battles that don't have a dragon involved.

Laena's kid even does the most damage to the Greens outside of Daemon and takes out Aegon's dragon and cripples him for life.

The reach was split btwn blacks and greens in the books

The Tyrells remained neutral, Hightower supported Greens obvsly but the Tarlys and a bunch of other houses supported the blacks

The blacks had the Starks/Arryns and the Greens Baratheons/Lannisters. The Greyjoys were de facto black allies since they took the opportunity to raid Lannisport. The long term military balance of power was clearly in favor of the blacks. The short term advantage was with the Greens since yeah, they happen to have their support closer to the capital and can muster them faster.

Typo fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 4, 2022

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

I have a question for people who've read the books/are more in the know on GoT lore than I. How legitimate were Laena's kids' claims that Vhagar was "theirs" to inherit? Laena seemed to outright state in a previous episode that dragons bond with those with the strength to claim them. Aemond cowboy'd up and won the prize, was their reaction just grief/entitlement or has there been a tradition of direct transfer of dragons from parent to child that Aemond violated?

Zero, dragons are not inherited like land/titles are

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

PostNouveau posted:

drat you can stay neutral? Seems like the pro-strat right there.

Just show up 5 minutes after the last battle ends with a gift basket for the winner.

it's kinda risky since the winner might deem your neutrality to be "treason" and therefore you will be supplemented by some of your vassals who did join the winning side sooner

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Xiahou Dun posted:

Is there an actual lore source that says why dragons got small and lovely then died out?

I thought it was them incesting in Westeros post-Valyria + the theme of magic “dying out”, but I can’t remember if that’s actually specified or if I made it up.

it's implied by this one character in the books that the maesters did it

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

twistedmentat posted:

I thought it was Joff that died in the navel battle, his ship went down and was shot full of arrows while clinging to wreckage? Also its funny with Corlys going on about his legacy and such when his house is all but forgotten by the time of Game of Thrones. They are sworn to Stannis but its not really implied they're particularly important if I remember. That and stealing Cersei's fleet.

I realized that Woiaf is like the rpg sourcebook, but Fire and Blood is like when someone writes a novel based on that RPG setting so there's more detail of the characters.
The velyarions were still masters of ships under Aerys II

as others mentioned, it's because they were so high up in the Targaryen hierarchy that they were reduced thus post-rebellion

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

General Dog posted:

This thing seems like it’s going to be done after two seasons, right?

I don't think so, I originally thought it would be 2.5-3 but now I can see it going on for like 4-5

but now I think about it they made the -prelude- a whole season means they prob are going to take their time with the main material from fire and blood.

There's a lot of secondary/tertiary characters they can flesh out (Cregan Stark/lord Dustin/the Tullies/Lady Jeyn Arryn), that will take like a season to do. And they need to flesh out at least some of them to give weight to Criston Cole's death and other events in the war. The show runners have also demonstrated they -can- craft good characters based on limited sketches from the source material.

I wouldn't be surprised if most of S2 is going to be about the "war of ravens" where both the Greens/Blacks try to win over the allegience of the great houses. It's a good way to introduce the various non-Targ characters. Maybe the season's S9 moment is Aemond killing Luke.

Typo fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 11, 2022

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Anonymous Zebra posted:

we get the Kingsguard identical twin assasination plot.

it blows my mind they actually included the Ser Erryk/Arryk thing

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
holy poo poo

quote:

Considine also takes credit for a cameo we'll see later on in the season. "I'm responsible for Mushroom being in this show," he said, referring to the official court fool who was the "source" of lots of court gossip in George R.R. Martin's "The World of Ice & Fire," the book the series is based on.

"I'm taking that, because I'm looking through [the scripts] and I'm going 'Where's Mushroom? How come he's nowhere to be seen? He's got to be around here somewhere.' [Co-showrunner Ryan Condal] will say it was all his idea, but we managed to squeeze him in somewhere. And that was because of me

Read More: https://www.slashfilm.com/969155/pa...m_campaign=clip

So apparantly Paddy Considine is responsible for a Mushroom cameo

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
oh man

Rhaenyra: "perhaps I'll return on dragonback"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I mean, I guess we'll see, but Fire & Blood is only roughly 750 pages long and only 500 of those are this story. There's enough in there to tell a good story, but I think even 4 seasons is pushing it.

F&B is more of a plot outline for a TV series than a script. So it being shorter is fine, as long as the show runners can fill in the blanks (unlike D&D)