Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Debuts August 21 for anyone wondering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

kloa posted:

I thought this got cancelled. Guess I’ll watch it :shrug:

The first attempt got canceled

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Professor Shark posted:

Man I used to have an encyclopedic knowledge of this universe and the combination of GRRM not writing and the series turning into crap killed off any interest.

That said, the book this is based on is a super condensed version of the series and I actually enjoyed it, so I guess I’ll wait and see.

Man, I used to watch those YouTube videos by the obsessive guy who has elaborate theories about the conspiracies of families who are mentioned twice, and sometimes I could follow them.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mat Cauthon posted:

I really wonder what happened with Wheel of Time behind the scenes - the casting was good and they did about as well as they could to demonstrate the depth of the story but I don't know that anyone who wasn't already invested in the story would care enough to watch another season.

Even knowing that they had a lot of challenges with COVID conditions, cast complications, etc... yeah I just don't know. If nothing else the show needed another 2-4 episodes, but Amazon cheaped out and it shows.

It cost like $15 million an episode and looked like complete poo poo

They spent like as much money as Game of Thrones on sets and costumes and extras and then didn't color grade it correctly

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't know who needs to hear this, but Rhaeneyra gets eaten by a dragon

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It leaked again.

lol at Corlys and Rhaenys trying to get the king to marry a child

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

Is Mushroom necessarily cut? I didn't think he showed up until the last years of Viserys' life.

I recall seeing that he's not cut but will not be a real character. It sounded like a no lines background character the book fans can go "oh I know who that is!"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Vichan posted:

And who has a better story than Mushroom?

- Huge penis
- Pretends to be mentally disabled so he can skate by at court
- Writes a tell-all book that says all the royals are loving and sucking nonstop

Truly, he was the Prince That Was Promised.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't know what this show's gonna do without King Dork. He's sooooooo good

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I looked up a targ family tree to get a vibe for where this sits in relation to the blackfyre rebellions and gave myself a gross spoiler, that daemon and rhaenys get married and have a kid that essentially reunites the two sides of the dance of the dragons by marrying aegons incest child (he marries his younger sister)

It's great that you had to look up the targ family tree when it's supposed to be the thing in the intro but there is absolutely no loving way for a viewer to know that.

Add some names to it the intro at least! How the gently caress am I supposed to know some random sigil represents a specific person? You know what the map said when it focused on Winterfell? It said loving "Winterfell" it didn't expect me to go look it up on the internet!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Harwin Strong is still in the show, and they even name dropped him in episode 3, so I still think we're going to get that whole plot line.

Doesn't she run into Harwin in the alleyway?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

roomtone posted:

i didn't realise either how short the targaryen dynasty was. they say 'no woman has ever sat on the iron throne', but there've only been 4 kings before viserys, and one of those took up more than half of that century.

Yeah same. Until this show I thought the Targs were a thousands of years dynasty

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Xiahou Dun posted:

Targ Dynasty was a good long dynasty, but they’re still on the kind of scale that we’re familiar with from history.

2,000 years is a really, really long time. Like the Yamato Dynasty in Japan is arguably the longest ruling family in known history and it wasn’t much longer than a thousand years while getting a lot of weird random luck to keep things going.

Or English history is Plantagenets for ~300 years, but followed by ~120 years of Tudors, ~100 years of Stuarts*, -200 of Hanoverians and 105-and-counting of House Windsor.

*minus some for that bit where there wasn’t a monarchy at all rip chuck 1

I think I got tripped up because I conflated Aegon's invasion with the Andal invasion

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dongicus posted:

That preston jacobs fanfic surprisingly isnt terrible lol

I thought all the politics was way too out front. I don't remember any parts of ASoIaF where all the lords sat around and laid out all the politics in big exposition dumps.

The crooked tourney stuff was ok though.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

timp posted:

I loved when he was riding the dragon and scorched a bunch of dudes and went “WOOOO!!!” More of that relatable poo poo please

Fake edit: Nettles is still out there riding Sheepstealer to this very day imo :colbert:

That was Laenor

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Zenithe posted:

Renowned tin foil hat aficionado Preston Jacobs has a fun theory about this. And yes, there is almost zero evidence for it.

Is it Larys Strong? Because him knowing about the abortion juice was very sus

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The benefit of HBO spinning off like 8 series at once is this one can end when they run out of material.

War ends, show ends, hey check out our new Blackfyre series.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I heard it was a fookin' legend who killed him

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

lol good one

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Corlys and Rhaenys hosed up pretty bad.

"Sorry kid, I know your mom just died like 2 hours ago, and you're in shock. But you gotta get on this enormous loving dragon immediately."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Typo posted:

The reach was split btwn blacks and greens in the books

The Tyrells remained neutral, Hightower supported Greens obvsly but the Tarlys and a bunch of other houses supported the blacks

The blacks had the Starks/Arryns and the Greens Baratheons/Lannisters. The Greyjoys were de facto black allies since they took the opportunity to raid Lannisport. The long term military balance of power was clearly in favor of the blacks. The short term advantage was with the Greens since yeah, they happen to have their support closer to the capital and can muster them faster.

drat you can stay neutral? Seems like the pro-strat right there.

Just show up 5 minutes after the last battle ends with a gift basket for the winner.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Nah I think Beesbury's got staying power. He's gonna make it to Season 7 at least.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Anonymous Zebra posted:

So going back to how the season ends, I went and looked up the leaks people mentioned. Just to see how accurate they were, I looked at the leaks for earlier episodes that have now aired. The leaks seem to be pretty sound, and they actually reference a number of deleted scenes that were filmed but cut. Apparently the first three episodes had Rhae and Alicent being even closer than we saw in the final cut. The leaks also miss some interesting details, though, like describing how Daemon's first wife died but not mentioning that he was present.

So, if the leaks are super accurate, it means that Luc gets killed before the war really starts. The leak describes the order of events as Alicent sending earnest terms to Rhaenyra on the back of the page Rhaenyra ripped out of the book in episode 1. Rhaenyra apparently considers them strongly, but her sons don't trust the greens. She sends them to the Starks and Storms End as in the books, but the leaks seem to imply that she doesn't turn Alicent down yet. So Aemon apparently kills Luc before the war actually starts, which is a hell of a change.

I haven't actually Fire & Blood. Isn't there a long cold war period where Rhaenyra and Alicent court all the houses and then Luc's murder turns it to a hot war?

I'm actually bummed if they're skipping the "War of the Ravens" or whatever the cold war period is called. That sounded cool, and House of the Dragon is much better at palace intrigue than action scenes.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Typo posted:

it was a pretty short cold war period

sending Luc to storm's end was one of the first things Rhaenyra did after being crowned

tatankatonk posted:

It's not that long, and there's not a ton of detail besides a simple summary of which major houses were disposed which way. The only other major wooing described is Jace going up to Winterfell and getting along with Cregan Stark. honestly, whatever scenes take place from the Cold War can just be transposed to happen simultaneously with/after luke getting thrown in the ocean

Ah, I see

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Beesbury went out like a champ, but lol that he never realized everyone else in the room was in on a big conspiracy to have coup

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

joepinetree posted:

An unspoiled friend of mine is convinced that Rhaenys showing up and not incinerating everyone is because she clearly declared for team green and is going off to fight Rhaenyra...

Definitely the best way to declare for the greens is to ruin the king's coronation and murder dozens if not hundreds of people

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

emanresu tnuocca posted:

This isn't a real complaint because I don't think the show needs to be beholden to any book details and especially not ones that are retconned between Fire & Blood and ASOIAF and are really not that coherent but I think it's kind of amusing that ultimately nobody, including George, managed to have Criston Cole being 'The Kingmaker' make sense, like, in the original Arys Oakheart chapters the whole point of Criston Cole is that Oakheart imagines himself to be playing a similar role to the one Cole played, only of course Oakheart fancying himself a potential Queenmaker, this kind of implies that history remembers Cole as a person whose actions were pivotal to usurping Rhaenyra, that he was the guy who seized an opportunity to make a political play above his station, in the show he's really more of a casual psychopath who just happens to be Alicent's bodyguard as Otto has basically been pulling the strings for decades, Cole really had very little impact on the plot, even without his involvement things would have largely played out in exactly the same way.

But really to be fair the way things are set up in Fire & Blood are kind of stupid, Daemon is a cackling villain and Otto and Criston make the probably reasonable decision to do whatever it takes to keep Daemon off the throne, it doesn't even boil down to the misogyny of the setting, Otto actually supports Rhaenyra's claim until the point she marries Daemon, they just hate Daemon.

Maybe Cole is a historical scapegoat. When all the mess is over, the Hightowers who are left are like "Oh man, if only that dastardly Cole guy hadn't totally forced Otto and Alicent into doing all that poo poo that ruined everything"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Just gonna threaten the guy with a dragon that's 5 times the size of mine. OK great plan accomplished; I am very good at politics.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh my god, Rhaeynra, having your dragon eat Otto Hightower right then and there would have done you so much good

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

roomtone posted:

it's kind of a mess how they made him go 'wait vhags, don't eat - oh poo poo she ate him'

Yeah, and I fear they're not gonna be able to make dragon on dragon combat not be goofy because they keep having to cut to the riders and it's like

Luc pretty much successfully escaped and then went back for a completely pointless attack. You coulda just flew home, kid. Or landed in that crevice and waited it out. Makes it more tragic though; I like that change.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 21, 2022

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

bobjr posted:

They really hated Quentin too, just because

*Fires up my 75-page Powerpoint entitled "Why Quentyn Martell is still alive and in possession of a dragon"*

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 24, 2022

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

Are the smaller dragons at the end small because they are genetically small or because they’re young? I was under the impression that the older the dragon the bigger it was.

Yeah, Vhagar and Verminthor are the biggest and the oldest. Balerion was the oldest and the biggest. It seems like they just keep growing their whole lives.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Morrow posted:

Wild dragons may live longer but Cannibal would be pushing it and requiring an enormous amount of food/a huge hunting range.

I'm sure the food required for all the dragons is insane. They must be flying ecological disasters.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

mweber posted:

What’re dragons up to when they’re not on screen? Maybe they’re like cats and their days are split 95:5 :: sleeping:killing things. Add in being cold blooded, and they might only need like two or three aurochs a week.

Oh yeah, maybe they'd be more like snakes and have really slow metabolisms. We only ever see them get fed like a single sheep at a time.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Xiahou Dun posted:

Hey what is the in-universe reason for the dragonpit anyway? Do they specifically say anywhere? Vague mutterings about the maester conspiracy?

Just a place to keep them from eating randos and make sure they don't gently caress off? Are they purposely trying to make them smaller?

I feel like they've had a couple hundred years and ample evidence to put together the fact that dragons grow like goldfish, so if they don't want dragons to stay fun size they have a solution already.

They have to be held captive and trained from a young age or else they turn out like the Cannibal and are much more difficult to control.

You sacrifice having the biggest possible nuclear weapon for having a nuclear weapon you can control.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Also Dunk & Egg

https://twitter.com/westerosies/status/1646205296279257089

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'd watch a Sea Snake prequel. I don't think House of the Dragon has fleshed that character out very well, but everything I've read in other material about him makes him seem like he'd be a very good protagonist. Swashbuckling adventurer fits right into game of thrones world.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I just need to know a lot more about what the Jon Snow show is going to be about. Are the others immediately coming back? Westeros expansion into wildling lands? It's strange anyone went with Jon Snow into exile since he'd given the wildlings good land up north. There were never really any politics with the wildlings. I just have no clue what kind of show you could make from the starting point they're at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

stev posted:

Yeah when you have a brand that's globally renowned for essentially inventing prestige TV as we know it today the sensible thing to do is drop that brand name and replace it with a random buzzword.

And cramming all your prestige poo poo into the same package as 8 "My 600 Lb. Life" spinoffs and 40,000 episodes of HGTV house flipping shows.