Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

DarkCrawler posted:

I have to agree, since the stupid prophecy poo poo is apparently GRRM's fault the additions they have done are really good. Rhaenyra and Alicent being friends before Alicent became queen adds a whole new dimension to their rivalry, for example. Criston Cole is more then a fuckstick, the show really has me guessing who spurned whom. And while I was certain Viserys would be my favorite character, the actor does an amazing job portraying a Targaryen king who is intelligent and even astute but who isn't super smart (like Jaehaerys I or Daeron II) and is simply too nice for his position - while consistently acknowledging this. He really manages to bring out the sheer love Viserys has for all his relatives with their horrible faults without making him seem like a simpering walkover.

Even if the actual strategy/battle stuff in Stepstones was kinda ludicrous (they're hiding in caves? Pile up wood in every entrance and let Seasmoke and Caraxes puff puff pass lol) Matt Smith really sold me on the fact that Daemon is simply an insane psychopath who is really good in a fight, a Joffrey who isn't a complete piss baby.

i am happy that i am actually invested in the story even though i know how it all turns out because while not perfect, they are making it interesting and making the characters way way more fleshed out then in the book. in the book, vicery comes off as a well meaning moron who gets played by everyone and always takes the worse possible choice because he is a dumb happy moron. i am curious how they will play with the strong accusations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

bobjr posted:

Grunkle Daemon

"i am not going back to dornish prison"

"yes burn the child"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Borros Baratheon appears in the finale. Jeyne Arryn and Cregan Stark do not.

that makes sense. follow luke as he goes to get allies and then season 2 follow jace so you have more time to build stuff up with the starks and leave reactions to lukes death til like episode 2/etc.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I have seen people complain about the mass death and it’s like all the royals are sociopaths with nukes in their pockets, like with complaints about cersie I agree but with the targs, at best they have emperor of mankind level “love” for the commoners. They want to protect the population as a general concept but lol about the individual/town/etc level.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jerkface posted:

bro the majority of the nobles do not give a poo poo about the small folk, and her saying that does not mean that the writers/us don't care about them. One of the best scenes in this season was the soldier praising Daemon for arriving on his dragon to rescue him only for the dragon to uncaringly stomp his rear end out and Daemon not give a single poo poo. Obviously Rhaenys is gonna care more about her noble lineage and not give a poo poo about the common folk getting smushed. The entire latter half of ASOIF is all about the various warring factions devastating the country side regardless of allegiance.

It makes the characters who do care for the small folk hit harder.

this. the targarian's could give less of a gently caress about the small folk outside the vague idea of maybe some weird enlightened absolutism. they view them as a resource bar that replenishes by itself.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I literally just finished fire and blood and it reminded me a lot of history books I read in university, there was one about the hundreds year war that seemed very much like this, in that it jumped from source to source, saying that "the baron of Derbyshire was actually in Calis when Cercy happened so he couldn't have known this" and such. Though no one e talked about his huge hog.

Every king in it could be at least a season of hotd, Aegons conquest would probably be the, most exciting and interesting plus it would show us stuff we'd never seen, a non unified 7 kingdoms.

this. i tend to enjoy in universe texts and it very much works.

twistedmentat posted:

Yea that's exactly why I want to see it. He probably was a very good warrior, but they could show that planning was not his strong point but he still took the credit. I mean there good evidence he was a dummy because his son was a complete failure of a king, and then the next king was Maegor, so yea.

maegor is fun because its very clear the dudes shooting blanks but the maesters because science and just cultural bigotries just blame the gods or the women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dave Angel posted:

It's an interesting theory. The other thing in the text to connect to and wonder about is warging, and how one mind inhabiting another could shape both.

In terms of Targaryen history, the argument against dragonriders being predisposed to violence and madness would be the reign of Jaehaerys I, Viserys's predecessor. King at 14, reigned for 55 years, famed for being wise and reasonable, prone to peace and a bit badass when pushed to it. His dragon was Vermithor (the one Daemon was singing to in the last episode), hatched from an egg placed in his cradle.

It might be that dragons have their own individual personalities (like all cats and dogs and horses, etc) and these get shared when a rider and dragon bond.

this and i think its clear that its better to get dragons when they are tiny/just hatched so they bond with you, i like that majima tagaryn is at the end of the day a dumb scared kid who knows how to hide his poo poo way way better.