Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Whatever happened to the Targaryen who went to be an archmaester and refused to be heir? Was he around during the dance or had he died? I just finished reading the bit that covered the dance in the book but he seemed to disappear but it's funny if he was just hanging out at the citadel the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

That DICK! posted:

yeah this guy, vaegon. it took me going through like 900 pages of jaeherys' kids https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Vaegon_Targaryen

Oh so his fate is unknown so far, that's cool. I didn't realise there was going to be a sequel to the encyclopedia. Yet another sequel that will never be punished lol.

I'm really curious how they're going to adapt the story. There's really no "good guy" you can follow through the events, they're all awful. I love that but it seems kind of unpalatable for a lot of people. Corlys is great but he's also out of action for significant parts of it. And there is SO much child death!

I do like how the show repurposed some parts of the history of other kings into this era like the killer Caesarean. Makes me wonder if they'll bring in some other key events, although they don't need it as much as they approach the meat of the story.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Toplowtech posted:

Also Paris Hilton Targaryan.

Oh she ruled. Loved her.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I think it's pretty good! It's all the political intrigue I liked in GOT with a lot of the fat trimmed. It's not on the same epic scale but I like watching my high-budget drama about an incredibly dyfunctional family with personal WMDs.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Oh he grew his hair back out again.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Can't get over what a good choice it was to make Rhaenyra and Alicent best friends before anything else. It adds so much more to the tragedy than Alicent just being some random who hates Rhaenyra from word dot.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Yeah I expect next season will start the dance proper.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Typo posted:

I wonder what htey are gonna do with Laenor, maybe he comes back as one of the dragonseeds?

Nah I think he's gone. He's dead, he's off making a new life, he's not coming back. Nice end to his story.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Re-watch all the conversations after that final shot. He basically tells Rhaenyra that he is ready to give up happiness to be the kind of husband she needs, and later her and Daemon are discussing "setting him free". All of us assumed they were planning to kill him, but it was actually Daemon and Rhaenyra mutually agreeing to let him be happy and be the kind of man he wants to be while Daemon steps in to be the kind of husband she needs. Daemon loved Laena, and felt sympathy for his brother-in-law. It's a far cry from the ruthless shithead the book makes him out to be, but it's the real him.

He's not coming back. He's been freed.

It's great! Rhaenyra smiles at the end and I at first took that as a smirk at a successful murderous scheme, which seemed a bit callous, but in retrospect it's happiness at the chance to genuinely free a man she loves, and be able to have the relationship she wants and needs.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

With the way the dance ends, with the people of King's Landing taking things into their own hands and propping up a bunch of randos as king bc they reject the actual Targs, I think it's fine to start setting up how none of the royal family really see commoners as people with lives of their own. I don't think that was really prime in the writers' minds when they wrote this scene given the way they've talked about it, but ultimately it works fine as part of the whole story.

And also the spectacle was really great and Eve Best looked fantastic on the dragon, so I'm happy even if the realpolitik of it is a bit weird.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I have watched the leaked episode. I thought it was excellent! I was surprised by the depiction at the end but I think it works really well - Aemond's been posing as this deadly, powerful warrior but he's never actually killed someone before and it was mostly for show. Then, the fact that these massive weapons of war are not actually under the control of their riders but often act of their own free will suggests so much about how destructive this coming war will be and adds a lot of depth to the dragons beyond just being living nukes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Every finale another son dies