Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'll probably watch it when it's all out but the dragons and poo poo were the lamest part of GOT so I have a hard time believing this'll be any good.

yeah.

trailer really leaned in hard to GOT even using it's two most famous theme songs. i'm surprised at that because of how negative the internet opinion of the show turned but then most people are casuals and don't care/liked the last 2 seasons. there weren't any good lines in the trailer to make me curious.

if the trailer is anything to go by they're also even just doing dany 2.0 except this time probably she won't go genocidal at the end.

there are a lot of fantasy TV shows out now. the early seasons of GOT still stand out a level above them all, and who knows maybe this will too, but i'm not currently any more interested in this than i am for wheel of time season 2 which had a decent first season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

i was looking through the targ rulers today out of curosity, which was probably pretty silly since i'm watching the show, but i was also surprised to realise that viserys is going to still be king for like 20 more years after the point we're at by episode 4.

they establish that he's sick somehow in episode one, but i guess the targs are just so resistant to disease that it takes the thing three decades to actually kill him. if it even does, he might just die of old age actually since he's at least 50 at the beginning by the looks of it.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

i didn't realise either how short the targaryen dynasty was. they say 'no woman has ever sat on the iron throne', but there've only been 4 kings before viserys, and one of those took up more than half of that century.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

doesn't dark hair usually trump light hair in real life? or at least meets in the middle.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Maybe it's fantasy sopranos. Doesn't need to be a good guy.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

YouTube is gonna love Tony targaryen

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

I think the cole/rhaenyra scene is interesting in a lot of ways because of what it says about rhaenyra, and it also makes me think about my own reaction to it because what I thought was basically - ugh, this annoying child doesn't realise the position she's putting this man in. But rape never entered my mind, and maybe that's on me. The reason it didn't is because way more than we currently live in, westeros is a misogynistic society, and rhaenyra was also at huge risk if anybody found out about this. She was literally running around the room, still drunk, giggling. It's pure immaturity, and if Cole was a fellow 18 year old noble she'd been flirting with for months, then it would've been good fun. He isn't, at all, but I don't think she understands that.

I don't think it's something she's going to grow out of because she isn't going to be challenged on it. Any pushback she gets on this kind of behaviour will be chalked up to patriarchy, and while that is the foremost blight of her life, it's not the reason that her coercing Cole into having sex with her was wrong. The whole event is subsumed in the Daemon drama, Cole isn't even a blip on this, and that's terrible for him. It might never even come up again.

At the same time, while Cole was obviously hesistant and stood there thinking over all the ways this could go wrong for him, he did eventually make the choice to stay even though he could have left, said something diplomatic to cool her down. He was attracted to her enough to have sex, getting down to brass tacks - if he wasn't, it wouldn't have happened. He wasn't in any physical danger, only structural, but Rhaenyra I think was in that moment totally ignorant of the structural power she held over him. So I think it is a kind of grey area in terms of her intention. I wouldn't say she raped Cole. I think saying that she did indicates an eagerness to condemn women. There are obvious parallels to be drawn but the details are not the same. I know that's a call out, but I can't really see it otherwise.

She did abuse her power and did a lovely thing - but she's a teenager in a really mind-warping position. The more worrying thing is she didn't seem to feel bad about it later, she didn't reflect or retroactively realise he wasn't gung-ho once she sobered up. She was ready to jump him again in the later scene, 'come!' *big smile*, while he's now more on edge than ever. She thinks they're having fun.

I'm not reading that Rhaenyra is a very good person in general, so none of this feels like dissonance to me. It's all just good character work.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 15, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

timp posted:

If this show lasts long enough to cover the reign of Aegon IV Targaryen the Trump metaphors are going to be insufferableeeee

not if you literally only read this and the other thread to discuss the shows and completely black out all insufferable media coverage pal

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Larys seems like a much needed intelligent schemer character for the show with an actor who can play it we'll. His walking stick and lanky frame is a cool visual too.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Toplowtech posted:

We are talking about people who thought that every season except the last one were equally good.

Not in my case, but I am enjoying HOTD very much even as I recognise lots of little problems along the way I think could be better. A lot of it is just enjoying to watch this world play out again - the council meetings, chamber drama and occasional bursts of violence and taboo - with the general worldbuilding done in GOT and reading the wiki supporting my interest in it all. There is depth here, or at least the illusion of it, and that goes a long way.

The show is kind of playing on easy mode because it has all this supporting material and all it has to do is not be obviously bad. It has been clearing that bar for about 80% of its runtime so far.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Marsupial Ape posted:

Daemon busts at least twice. Maybe he’s calmed down in the next ep.

at this point they're making it pretty clear that daemon cannot bust

i wasn't really into it as a story idea, frankly i'm still not i think it's a disctraction, but i assume it will come into play later if he's like 'ugh nyra i wish i could make an heir and all that stuff but DANG if my penis doesn't work'

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

i was talking about how they repeatedly bring up that he can't ejaculate

can't cum

can't spunk in his pants

probably can't even jack off to the tapestries

roomtone fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 22, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

viserys's jovial aside takes on a more insidious character....

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

baleor breakspear, wonder what he did

gregald waywardboner, wonder what he did

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

ugh are they no major characters in this story? i felt like they were being built up? larys and harwin are so loving cool.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

yeah good point. it's just this IS a weird show structurally.

i just don't want them to fade out of the show because they are both providing serious intrigue right now, so i am hoping they become bigger deals moving forward

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

I'm just taking the prophecy as something that Targaryen kings/queens believe in, but that isn't actually as crucial as they make out. There's magic in the world so it is real, but misinterpreted and used as a self-justification. If you go by GOT, Daenerys wasn't necessary and made everything worse, and Jon never sniffed the throne although he was central to the whole thing.

GRRM probably has some different plans he has divulged to them though, so I'm not really making any assumptions about how any of it turns out and kind of just treating GOT like it doesn't exist.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

yeah it's the scene itself. i can buy rhanys not wanting to kill them all, but i can't buy her not intending to when her move is to burst through the floor of the coronation killing many people, get the dragon to scream in their face, and then just go 'pretty scary huh?' and leave. she could've left with melys at a later time, or via a different route since dragons can apparently burst through walls anyway, but she chose to do this and it is essentially a declaration of war, which entails the deaths of her extended family, so the only interpretation is that she really hasn't thought this through and just did something stupid and dramatic for effect even though it reduces her advantage. now the greens know she's against them, will blink, and she's given them a great story about how the evil blacks use their dragons against the people.

that's if she thought about it at all.

they wanted an epic scene and every time they go to this well so far, it either makes the characters or the show look less intelligent.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

i can give the sneaking into the dragon pit thing a pass. she went in through an entrance that was either unguarded or guarded by a doofus - maybe she even knows a secret way in, she probably lived in the red keep for an extended period at some point in her life and if anybody would know the secrets of the dragon pit, it's the dragon riders. so that isn't really something that needs explaining for me, although in the context of the surrounding stupidity of the scene it does end up contributing to the sense of carelessness by the production about the whole thing.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

fez_machine posted:

Hopefully HBO is gunshy enough about season 8 comparisons that they shift emphasis.

I'm still giving the show a long leash because they were running blind on what the audience reactions would be after GoT sunk like a stone.

the fact they've pulled off as good a season as they have is commendable. they have succumbed to the dumb only a handful of times, but it isn't too much to ask of a huge production like this which is, whether they like it or not, positioned as a redemption of got s7-8, that they succumb to dumb exactly zero times.

but i fear we've got some idiotbrains at the top brass creative and business here and the coolness of the season has been mediated through many smart collaborators who realise what we all realise + inspiration and skill. so we might just have to settle for a solid B grade show here rather than the potential it actually has.

a lot of this cast are absolutely killing it. some of these characters are really popping. the line to line dialogue is good to very good. little badness to be found in the real interpersonal drama here, which is the most important thing,

but then some of the poo poo...when they get Epic....is really fuckin stupid

roomtone fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 18, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

It's amazing that the dumb rear end dragon staredown was in an episode right after one of the best scenes in all of Game of Thrones with Viserys' final walk to the throne. Way more spectacle and "gently caress yeah" energy watching an old guy walk slowly across a room because it was set up well.

it'll be directly instructional later on. it's so drat clear.

yo writers:

ep 8? do this

ep 9? don't do this

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

hordes of even mildly engaged fans mourning the loss of king viserys

absolutely zero people except maybe burlington bar or something cheering the awakening of kwen R

there may be some kind of writing technique involved in this mystery

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

sorry man i just don't care that much about arcane book details but i do read this thread skipping over the posts that are just 'here's what happens in f and b'

guess i stepped over the line in the other one because of my crimes against humanity

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

it's kind of a mess how they made him go 'wait vhags, don't eat - oh poo poo she ate him'

they're really commited to this 'both sides are human beings' bit and it's honestly like watching a face eat itself

the whole daemon choking rhaneyra bit, i mean gently caress off he just would not do that to her, and rhaneyra's zoom in at the end 'well, i have been utterly forced by misogyny to say these words, i want to not say these words'

say the words my queen

'well no i want to not say the words, really this is all daemon's fault, he's the demon behind the scenes'

SAY THE WORDS

cut to black. she doesn't say the words. powerful.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

yeah i think i'm turning against this show the investment is still there but i'm just marvelling at dumbass and pandering choices on a minute to minute basis. and if i keep going then i'm gonna become one of those guys. might be done here.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 21, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

on the other hand that episode kind of ruled. i dunno. will have to think about it.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

they made sure to frame the scene just like that weird scene in ep 2 where otto demonstrated no understanding of tactics

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, and I fear they're not gonna be able to make dragon on dragon combat not be goofy because they keep having to cut to the riders and it's like

Luc pretty much successfully escaped and then went back for a completely pointless attack. You coulda just flew home, kid. Or landed in that crevice and waited it out. Makes it more tragic though; I like that change.

that's not really my point. i appreciate that luc came back in and did the fire breath bit, that's a payoff for his entire episode of failure. the thing i didn't like is just how it feels like absolutely hammer handed nunance being forced onto aemond. 'ugh the writer is forcing me to be surprised i killed i luc, i can't help myself'. i think aemond would've known what he was doing the second he took off.this is becoming a common issue i have with this show. scared shitless once he realised he just commited the first act of war? eh, maybe. but they were making it very important he was heard going 'no vhaegar, don't kill him'

that part was weird.

although having said all of that, and it'll probably be a way bigger issue in season 2 which at this point i don't even know if i'm gonna watch, the chomp bit was pretty cool.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

thebardyspoon posted:

Wasn't the dragon panicking and did it of his own accord? He kept saying while he was being chased "obey me" and stuff so I just assumed when Arrax went in for the attack it was his dragon just kinda stupidly trying to attack/survive with a desperate move. Then Aemonds kinda did the same and dashed him into pieces with the greatest of ease.

yeah that's what they wre goin for

i'm coming at the show from a wider angle than scene to scene decisions most of the time, not saying i'm right, but i look at that choice as a moment in the general 'greens and blacks are equally bad, look daemon choked rhanerya continue to watch continue to fight about it''

i think they might be surprised by the level of uh gently caress all of them, good season bye there're gonna get in the off season.

i am really pissed off that had daemon choke rhaneyra though. as IF.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 22, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

it's just that it throws out the one redeeming personality trait he had

it's not logical, you don't have to agree. maybe you've been wating for the proof.

and in a situation where the entire 'green' side is basically just a gang of volcels, making daemon kind of unambiguously horrendous and rhaneyra oh so conflicted doesn't make me want to see more. it make me want to exit the show.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 22, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

the contstant cutting to rheanys, the mass murdereer, silent approving. rhaneyra....perfect moves.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

i didn't catch a lot of the dialogue daemon said when he grabbed rhaneyra's neck either because i was just utterly disgusted. really man. she is your saving grace, how the gently caress are you going to threaten this woman with vio- oh i see what they're doing.

my response to rhaneyra being in constant pain all ep was just, they're really gonna make us wait for it. yeah i get it, poor rhaneyra, come oooooon.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

i'll watch it in more detail but i assume it was something like 'kirby is the best nintendo series'

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

then criston cole shows up

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

I heard a cool theory on a podcast that the bond which allows riders to influence dragons works both ways and the dragons also influence their riders over time, making them more prone to violence. The idea being that there was some initial blood magic that allowed certain Valyrian bloodlines to control dragons, but since blood magic is cursed, there is a drawback.

It makes sense out of a lot of things. Even Daenerys turning genocidal at the end of GOT - although the transition could've been handled better. It explains the so called Targaryen madness that everyone talks about - they aren't mad because of inbreeding, it's because most of them are bonded with dragons. Targaryens are such violent conqueors in general because most of them are bonded with dragons. Viserys was so comparatively gentle, since he only rode a dragon one time and then it died so the influence was basically zero.

I don't know much outside of the shows and some wiki stuff I've read so I know it won't line up with every single Targaryen, like the Mad King because dragons were extinct at that point, but I figure a few bad eggs can happen regardless.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

majima targaryen is so accurate haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

there's nothing saying a jon snow series couldn't be good, but he was always just an RPG protagonist.