Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I remember the effort that went into the op for the early season threads and the last two seasons fittingly just had the YouTube link to the trailer. Nice to see House of the Dragon getting the same respect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

timp posted:

1000% agree that’s all the good will this show has earned so far

but also more generally effort-post OPs in TVIV are just so 2010’s, imo. Go to imdb if you want to see a still shot of every character. I’m also not trying to convince people to watch either cause I think pretty much everyone will have no problem forming their own opinions far before they ever find their way here.

So yeah in other words, :effort:

It wasn't just imdb pictures, there was some hardcore effort to collate all the characters and settings from the books and the correlation to what was known of the seasons at the time, with links to the ice and fire wiki, book passages, maps, etc. Like, I barely even know what book this is adapting and who the hell shows up in this (it's adapting Fire & Blood, I think? And I think the Targ in the trailer is Daemon Targaryen, so it's focusing on the War of the Greens and Blacks, where there were like 30 Targ heirs loving each other up? I think?).

If this series was released before the last two seasons of GoT, this thread would have pages of theory crafting on if Blood & Cheese would show up and what actors would portray them. As it is, no one gives a poo poo about Blood & Cheese (rightly so, as its a clear desperate grab at another Dunk & Egg fanciful naming scheme) and the thread barely manages to stay on the first page of TVIV.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The dunk and egg books aren’t finished yet either.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Ok seeing how we now have two active threads for this show maybe one of them should be a spoiler thread for the dorks who actually managed to slog their way through Fire and Blood

As one of those dorks, I’ll just say I’m really surprised they haven’t been drilling names of the characters into the people watching the trailers. I keep forgetting who the guy in the trailer’s supposed to be. There’s a lot of similar names in this story so it’s interesting they’re not trying to distinguish between anybody in the promo material.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Looking forward to Kermit Tully getting hosed murked and his sons Oscar and Elmo pick up the banner.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I hope they preserve some of the ages from the books, I want to see 11 year Crash Benjicot lead House Blackwood with the Winter Wolves.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The World of Ice and Fire is the dry wiki-style book that also goes over the Dance of Dragons in the Princess and the Queen section. Fire & Blood is an in-universe book written by some old town maester about the Targaryen dynasty from Aegon and his initial campaign all the way through til the Dance of Dragons, and adds a lot of opinionated hearsay and conjecture about the details involved in the war.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

MrMojok posted:

I’m crossposting this from the other thread.

In this twitter thread is a description of what all the stuff in the intro means.

Although how I, as a viewer (and one who knows this story) was supposed to understand all this, I have no idea.

https://twitter.com/conquerorscrown/status/1564055481865289728?s=21&t=IprPo7gnJWlR0N9imqROwA

I was wondering what the hell I was supposed to be looking at and it’s even dumber than I thought.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Even though they cut Mushroom, I hope all his conjecture turns out to be true, let’s see Sara Snow and the dragon eggs under Winterfell!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The kingswood hunt was some good non-book stuff.

I wonder if the shows going to keep the amount of twins there are in the book. We haven’t seen Arryk and Erryk yet.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Rewatching the preview for next week, they’re making it look like the Rhaenyra/Laenor marriage turns into another red wedding, I wonder what the implications would be if that were actually the case. Kickstarting the war ahead of schedule could be a cool swerve for book readers.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Really hope that was Mushroom in the preview for ep 5

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 16, 2022

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

that Bobby quote when he’s talking about his kids being scared of something, but change it to be about grumpkins

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Someone in the other thread pointed out screenshots from last weeks preview that weren’t in this episode, and it looks like screenshots of Aemond, possibly training with Criston Cole, and post-corneal abrasion.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’ve seen Larys referred to as Cripplefinger and now I’m kinda bummed that name won’t be used in the show.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Isn’t leprosy highly contagious? I just figured it was sepsis or tetanus

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Honestly appreciate the clarifications on leprosy, I had no idea how tainted my perception of it was from pop culture.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Marsupial Ape posted:

Daemon busts at least twice. Maybe he’s calmed down in the next ep.

His kids are twins.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Is Aemon the one who gets bashed in the head and has his brains leaking out when he takes off his helmet in the dunk and egg book?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

He’s just off camera.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They’re gonna do him like sonny

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dang, after that one goon talked about how they were expecting Laena’s baby to survive Vhagar’s fire, now I’m thinking that would’ve been an interesting way to introduce Nettles

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I can’t wait for Otto to come back to court only for Aegon to be like “gently caress off gramps, Criston’s my hand”

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hmmm, that ending makes me wonder if Laenor’s going to pop back up later in the series renamed Alyn of Hull.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Yea I can see how I'd get confused there.

I think by that point is was just Jace, Luke and Joff that were dead, Aemond isn't killed under after I think? And Helaena is purely Aegons fault. Wait, does the Bread and Cheese Assassins kill Aegon's kids before or after that? I wish Had my Worlds of Ice and Fire to referance, but its somewhere in a box in storage.

Blood & Cheese kill Aegon’s son Jaehaerys as payback for Aemon killing Lucerys, which is the first two big kills of the dance. Jace dies like a goofball right in the middle of the war getting shot down during some naval battle, and Joffrey doesn’t get it til way later.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

lol Aemond is going to slaughter Lucerys.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Wonder if they’re going to have Daeron be Alicent’s bastard with Criston.

Also, pretty sure I saw Otto giving the order that’s going to pit ser arryk against ser erryk in the preview for next week.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

All I know is Beesbury’s on borrowed time

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I wish he made more bee related puns

“Gotta go, m’lord, balancing the books keeps me pretty bzzzzy…”

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Criston watching Beesbury plummet out a castle window: “Buzz off.”

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

banned from Starbucks posted:

In the ep 9 preview Ser CristyC pulls his sword on him with a facedown dead Beesbury in the background.

He’s taking care of bzzzness.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Alan Beesbury: “the disappearance of my grandsire is truly bzzzarre…”

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Criston Cole, holding a blade to Beesbury’s neck: “Are you positively sure you want to back Rhaenyra Targaryen as heir to the iron throne?”

Lyman Beesbury: “Abzzzzolutely.”

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

He probably thought he’d have to fight some scrub the king would pick for a champion, he wasn’t expecting Jhaey-T to climb off the throne and take out the trash himself.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dang they gonna do Steffon Darklyn like Darkstar.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

lol of course Boros Baratheon is loving illiterate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It would be so loving wild if Daemon survived that poo poo.

I love how the book is like “btw they definitely found Aemond’s dead rear end skeleton with dark sister still skewered through his skull.”