Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8Gx8wiNbs8&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9MyW72ELq0&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5F8MOz_IDw&hd=1

13 years later, after endless delays and so many terminally online folk who still cling onto Dances with Ferngully memes saying no one remembers Avatar, we're finally getting Avatar 2 in December this year. I'm excited. You're probably not, but I don't give a gently caress, return of the king, baby!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwjfLMa7_3E

Trillion dollar box office incoming :getin:

teagone fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

I'm blue (da ba di)

I don't ever wanna put on those 3D glasses ever again so I'll wait till it's on streaming

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah it’ll probably make a billion dollars. Since I work in vfx I’m surrounded by people who are absolutely psyched for this movie. I expect visual effects as deep as an ocean and a story as deep as a puddle, but I’m sure it will be a visually entertaining feast for the eyes.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Reminder that James Horner's (RIP :smith:) Avatar score slaps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kiJGu2oWtw

The coda at the end of the teaser hits real good. Instantly recognizable to so many people I bet, whether they remember the film or not.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
THE GOAT RETURNS

Everyone who has questioned James Cameron shall be silenced once this releases

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJMwBwFj5nQ

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I’m sure it’s a popular opinion, but the 3D and effects work did the heavy lifting on the first one and brought a ton of extra people to the theatres because of the spectacle. Don’t all movies look good these days? That said, maybe people are desperate to see anything other than Q4 Superhero Film by Marvel-Disney.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Torquemada posted:

I’m sure it’s a popular opinion, but the 3D and effects work did the heavy lifting on the first one and brought a ton of extra people to the theatres because of the spectacle. Don’t all movies look good these days? That said, maybe people are desperate to see anything other than Q4 Superhero Film by Marvel-Disney.

I feel like directing in stereo 3D is an entirely different skillset that not many directors have. Cameron is one of the few who has a real solid grasp on it, being a pioneer with the tech and whatnot. Most of the general audience probably couldn't articulate why they might've enjoyed Avatar outside of the visuals or whatever, but the strength of the film's direction in the 3D space is definitely a big reason why I think the movie worked as well as it did for so many. It's also why so many other films released in 3D didn't have as big an impact. Avatar was crafted with 3D in mind and shot in 3D with a director who knew how to flim in stereo 3D. A lot of other 3D films that came out in Avatar's wake weren't made as such and/or were converted to 3D in post that looked like rear end. With how 3D has fallen off in the past 13 years, I see the tech being a massive boon again for The Way of Water on the back of Cameron's directing strength.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Torquemada posted:

That said, maybe people are desperate to see anything other than Q4 Superhero Film by Marvel-Disney.

Sadly I think it's kind of the opposite; with covid still around, home televisions absurdly large/cheap/good, and society generally turned to poo poo, people stay home for everything except q4 superhero film by Marvel-Disney

Avatar is weird though, nobody in the US cares about it but it still does huge numbers internationally. Avatar 2 will probably make less in the US than Spider-Man or Doctor Strange 2, and there will be headlines about how it's "bombing" in comparison to marvel stuff, but then the global numbers will turn it into a success regardless

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

You know I could be cynical about this and even though I didn't care much for the first avatar I'll still give this one a twirl. At my old age I just don't care much anymore so if J. Cameron wants blow a ton of money making full motion cgi prog rock album covers I don't think there's any harm in that.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Torquemada posted:

Actually people really liked it because the movie itself was good

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Polo-Rican posted:

Sadly I think it's kind of the opposite; with covid still around, home televisions absurdly large/cheap/good, and society generally turned to poo poo, people stay home for everything except q4 superhero film by Marvel-Disney

Avatar is weird though, nobody in the US cares about it but it still does huge numbers internationally. Avatar 2 will probably make less in the US than Spider-Man or Doctor Strange 2, and there will be headlines about how it's "bombing" in comparison to marvel stuff, but then the global numbers will turn it into a success regardless

Yeah I also love making poo poo up

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I don't doubt that the movie will make enough money to be considered a success under normal circumstances, I just wonder about all the below the line expenses that have piled up over the past 10 years that will probably never be reported on in detail.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

People harping on Cameron's next film being a flop is nothing new. That's why I put it in the thread title lol.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Imma need citations from goons who say ridiculous poo poo like “no one in the US cares about avatar”

Which youtuber told you that

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

"No one remembers Avatar" yet so many people online can't shut up about people not remembering it. Looks to me like you're remembering it!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think the discussion of whether or not people care about Avatar kinda leaves out the most important factor, which is Cameron himself. Whether it's Avatar or something else, James Cameron releasing a film for the first time in over 10 years is gonna create buzz and get people to the theater.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I wonder why the trailer wasn't put on the 20th Century Studios YouTube channel. Disney sabotaging the film's marketing already!!!

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Vin Diesel is in this movie?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I've watched the teaser like 10 times already. Looks great on my 4K set :allears:

Even though it's only 1080p on YT, wtf Disney?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Imma need citations from goons who say ridiculous poo poo like “no one in the US cares about avatar”

Which youtuber told you that

My friend with the collexion of marvel fumos.

lol even if the movies underperform its guaranteed to be profitable.

Tankbuster fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 9, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Tankbuster posted:

My friend with the collexion of marvel fumos.

lol even if the movies underperform its guaranteed to be profitable.

Cameron has said before that Avatar 4 & 5's releases are wholly dependent on whether or not Avatar 2 & 3 are successful. Avatar 3 finished shooting back in 2020, and Cameron I think has only just begun the editing process on it.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
IMAX trailer download
https://thedigitaltheater.com/avatar-the-way-of-water-2022/

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
On the one hand, never bet against James Cameron.

On the other, nothing about the trailer made me poo poo myself with my mouth open, as he promised it would. So who knows?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, it's IMAX proper open matte :stare:

It's loving beautiful.

Direct link https://thedigitaltheater.wetransfer.com/downloads/26805e0c01269fa0875b532de4528de220220506105039/e2fcbf

1.1GB download

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I don't care for the Avatar universe but it's a James Cameron movie and the trailer was nicely edited so yeah I'm gonna watch it. The original was one of the few movies I saw that actually benefitted from 3D without feeling gimmicky or like an afterthought (the others being Tron Legacy, Prometheus and Dredd, never saw Hugo or Coraline which I hear were also worth it).

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I watch it once and then I let it loop like 10 times I cannot help it. Despite it being a teaser there is just something about that imagery that actually makes me feel things again. I mean it's most definitely adjacent nostalgia but still. My only bummer is that this hot, humid, and utterly tropical looking movie is coming out in December

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Lol at the production budgets listed on that wiki page. The estimate I heard from 20cf ppl for Avatar was $350m after tax credits. There's no way the production costs for the sequels are less than $1.5b. However there's no way to lose money on these films if they get a full release in China holy poo poo those numbers are going to be insane.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

It looks crazy on 4K set. Wish I had an OLED, but holy gently caress. Just on my humble 55" set with 3.1 setup, it's so good.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

literally the first thing I thought of

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

its gonna do well financially because it will undoubtedly be an impressive pretty spectacle

i think the question many people have is will this movie have any longevity on its own merits after the euphoria wears off. I don't think its controversial to say that most people don't see Avatar today the same way they did in 2009.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
My interest for this franchise is below zero and the fact that the trailer looks like a commercial for a theme park isn't going to change that, and I can't be the only one who wonders what other Cameron movies we could have been getting if it weren't for this franchise.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Spermando posted:

I can't be the only one who wonders what other Cameron movies we could have been getting if it weren't for this franchise.

We'd be waiting for Battle Angel Alita 2 instead, probably. If Cameron had decided to direct Alita instead of Avatar (it was a coinflip between the two for him, and Avatar won), that'd likely be it.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

teagone posted:

Reminder that James Horner's (RIP :smith:) Avatar score slaps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kiJGu2oWtw

The coda at the end of the teaser hits real good. Instantly recognizable to so many people I bet, whether they remember the film or not.

The making of the original’s soundtrack is intensely ironic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL5sX8VmvB8

They wanted to make something no one had heard the likes of before. They ended up falling back on the dependable standards. As you would if you were making a movie that needed to be financially successful.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I was pleasantly surprised when I heard the organ in the trailer. Too many soundtracks now are all strings, horns and percussion.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ccs posted:

The making of the original’s soundtrack is intensely ironic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL5sX8VmvB8

They wanted to make something no one had heard the likes of before. They ended up falling back on the dependable standards. As you would if you were making a movie that needed to be financially successful.

I don't watch video essays that are more than 10 mins long unless they're discussing how bad MCU politics are, sorry. Thanks for sharing though!

[edit]

Just king things.

teagone fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 9, 2022

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Avatar is a movie I have always loved(saw it 4 times in theaters) but it has only gotten better with time. Compared to almost all major blockbusters since, it is relatively quaint and not super bombastic for $250mil blockbuster. Its not an overly complicated frenetic or a sensory overload, its classical adventure filmmaking wrapped in cutting edge technology and its truly unique in that regard.

Its also one of the more restrained uses of CGI , and yes I know how insane that sounds given what it is, but specifically in regards to its digital cinematography. It lacks a lot of that wild impossible camera movement that CGI affords a lot of people(see Tin Tin) and its relatively grounded and filmed as if there is a camera present or using a lot of traditional crane and helicopter type set ups for the bigger stuff. Of course it has some insane stuff you could only achieve with a free camera, but its used sparringly and to great effect.

I said often before COVID this was going to be a $3bil movie based on some market research I did comparing its global reach to other box office record holders and IP giants(MCU mostly) but I think its going to have a harder time crossing that record in the current global climate.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man
I find it kinda funny that people are questioning will this make enough money or will people care about it after the spectacle wears off. As if this is going to have less spectacle or leave a less of a mark than a Marvel movie and those keep printing money and they are the definition of forgettable.
And with the way the Chinese movie theater business has expanded in the last decade, that alone will be close to a billion.

I thought the first Avatar was fine and this teaser looks more of the same, and it's fine by me. Not counting Aquaman, has there been a big budget action film with this much color since Avatar? I feel like I've been watching shades of grey, brown and greyish blue the last 10+ years, so I'll gladly watch this just for the visuals.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

teagone posted:

Just king things.

The vfx gloss on the world is very impressive. I'm a vfx artist, I know how much work goes into every frame of these drat things. The themes are bog standard and trade in the noble savage trope though. Its a very shallow movie with immense visual spectacle from some of the finest minds in the vfx community behind it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

battlepigeon
Aug 3, 2008

Digging the trailer music though.

Nice to see a movie trailer without a endless barrage of BRAAAAMS in it.