Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I'm not trying to yuck anyone's yum but preview audiences are self-selecting, wait until the general release.

Please note: I am not betting again Jim. I would never.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
There’s definitely a lot of truth to that but the Indiewire guy isn’t some Avatar fanboy. If the movie sucked he wouldn’t have held back.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
The primetime 6:30 showings at my local AMC Laser IMAX are currently at 95% capacity for the first 7 days. I will be saluting Mrs. Kidman with a mouth full of mushrooms, I intend to see God.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I'm not trying to yuck anyone's yum but preview audiences are self-selecting, wait until the general release.

A fair number of critics were part of those preview audiences too so regardless of their Avatar feelings they were there to cover the last big movie of the year. Those are the impressions that matter more to me and they've been generally quite positive.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
anyone get solid word of an hfr release in london? i called the bfi imax and they were like lol no

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

This mf is betting against James Cameron

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I watched The Abyss for the first time the other night and that movie owned.

As will this movie.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I watched The Abyss for the first time the other night and that movie owned.

As will this movie.

Avatar, The Abyss, and Aliens are my favorite James Cameron movies (in no particular order). I do love me some Titanic every now and then though.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I never saw The Abyss as a kid, I think it was mainly that in the video stores it just kind of got lost with Deep Star Six, Leviathan, and stuff and I never paid it any attention (and was too young to really know like directors and stuff).

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

teagone posted:

Avatar, The Abyss, and Aliens are my favorite James Cameron movies (in no particular order). I do love me some Titanic every now and then though.

True Lies hasn't aged very gracefully but man did I love it.

Also people were so pissed about the ending to The Abyss and I never understood that

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Jim is operating on such a high level that he's already hyping 3 and 4.

quote:

“I can’t tell you the details, but all I can say is that when I turned in the script for 2, the studio gave me three pages of notes. And when I turned in the script for 3, they gave me a page of notes, so I was getting better. When I turned in the script for 4, the studio executive, creative executive over the films wrote me an email that said, ‘Holy gently caress.’ And I said, ‘Well, where are the notes?’ And she said, ‘Those are the notes.’ Because it kind of goes nuts in a good way, right?”

Cameron also said of Avatar 4 that “you think you know what it’s about, and then, oh no, you don’t,” and that “I hope I get to make that film, is what I’m saying.”

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm plonking down $400 on the counter and telling the bookie to put it all against Jim

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Kazzah posted:

I'm plonking down $400 on the counter and telling the bookie to put it all against Jim

mods

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

atrus50 posted:

anyone get solid word of an hfr release in london? i called the bfi imax and they were like lol no

Not London specifically but out of the Cineworld IMAXs I checked, only the Birmingham NEC explicitly lists HFR. Odeon's website doesn't give any information either way but I believe their Dolby screens are the most likely bet. I did get in touch with Vue and the Manchester Printworks aren't showing it in HFR either - and apparently the large IMAXs might even be showing it window boxed??

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Kazzah posted:

"Well, I'll tell you what I know, that's the dumbest fuckin bet I've ever heard of"

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Kazzah posted:

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Tekne posted:

4 will be the Navi taking the fight to Earth

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

I’m pretty sure he’s referring to Colonel Quaritch’s successful prevention of human genocide at the hands of the blue things in the fourth film here.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://mobile.twitter.com/RealGDT/status/1600361421878923264

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCDSq-BMK1Y

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://mobile.twitter.com/dril/status/1600591968202936320

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Preview tweets and impressions are always by the cadre who don't want to lose their access in the future to previews and are almost always glowing, so I don't think they can be overly trusted themselves.

That said, it sure is feeling like Cameron pulled another James Cameron sequel. I swear if he directed Titanic 2 it would have made $10b and won 22 oscars.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The Academy has officially concluded that a character saying Voila is sufficient to qualify for Best Foreign-Language film

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Even awful movies generally have glowing premiere reactions, for exactly the reasons Tom Guycot said.

I mean, I'm sure the movie is gonna rule and I already have my nighttime premiere tickets (I live in Seoul so I get to see it before any other countries on the biggest IMAX screen in the world, woo!), but the premiere tweets would read like this no matter what.

Rollos
Aug 11, 2007

Hold on, won't be long
I watched Avatar really high in 3D on a Oculus Quest and it owned. Not gonna lie I'm pretty pumped for the second one now.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
God after 13 years endlessly defending this movie from film nerds and legitmately doing weeks of research and box office analysis as blockbusters came and went since 2009 to continually demonstrate Avatar 2 will make gangbusters again....if these early reviews end up being the general reception Im gunna wallow in a glorious I loving TOLD YOU SO till the end of time.

Im gunna have to dig out one of my old long long posts about this from over the years.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Dec 8, 2022

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!

Tom Guycot posted:

That said, it sure is feeling like Cameron pulled another James Cameron sequel. I swear if he directed Titanic 2 it would have made $10b and won 22 oscars.

Wasn't this a thing being bandied around for a while? It was gonna be set during WW1 and Jack was alive but had amnesia? Did I imagine this? Am I'm having stroke?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Skulker posted:

Wasn't this a thing being bandied around for a while? It was gonna be set during WW1 and Jack was alive but had amnesia? Did I imagine this? Am I'm having stroke?

The perfect Jim Cameron movie:

A bathyscaphe piloted and built by Jim Cameron irl descends to the wreck of Titanic. They find the body of Jack, perfectly preserved by the cold. "His brain is virtually intact... We can revive him, we have the technology" -smash cut, it turns out we are 100 years in the future and Jack is being transferred to the prototype Avatar body, as the first ever human to undergo the procedure. Smash cut, Na'vi Jack is doing his famous king of the world pose with Na'vi Sigourney Weaver on the deck of a military spaceship hovering over Pandora.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Feliz Na'vidad

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Skulker posted:

You might be thinking of Gladiator 2 where Maximus is revived and made immortal by the gods and fights wars throughout history and it ends with him in the Pentagon in the modern day.

Tekne posted:

One really has to wonder why bother with 2 and 3 if 4 is so fuckin sick.

e: gently caress me Gladiator 2 is in pre-production what?

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 8, 2022

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

The technical term is MOVIE rear end MOVIE

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Imagine getting to be blown away by a movie from a guy who gave you $1mil to save your dad from a kidnapping in 1998.

What a cool friendship

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

just watched this part of Avatar for the first time in years, when the big final battle begins.

so many epic moments in just four minutes. great shot composition and attention to detail - from the reflections on the visors of the soldiers' helmets in the jungle to the hazy backdrop with the horse-like animals charging. I say this as someone harsh on blockbusters (Cameron does it right)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW58e84rMko

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

AccountSupervisor posted:

Imagine getting to be blown away by a movie from a guy who gave you $1mil to save your dad from a kidnapping in 1998.

What a cool friendship

Wtf I never knew about this. GdT really should’ve disclosed this conflict of interest before that tweet.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

Wtf I never knew about this. GdT really should’ve disclosed this conflict of interest before that tweet.

Yup.

https://www.grunge.com/793514/how-james-cameron-saved-guillermo-del-toros-father-from-kidnappers/

They became friends at a 4th of July party around the time of Cronos and Guillermo was broke as all hell from dumping his money into Cronos and Mimic.

His dad got kidnapped and he couldnt afford the $1m ransom. Cameron took him to a bank, got the $1m and hired a negotiator and got his dad back. Del Torro and his family fled Mexico as a result.

Hands down my favorite "did you know?" story about any filmmaker.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Sounds like to me James Cameron just loving owns

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Oh no the conflict of interest of: a director liking another director’s movie

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Gatts posted:

Sounds like to me James Cameron just loving owns

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

teagone posted:

Any AMC equipped with a Dolby Cinema should be able to display HFR. Or any IMAX single laser theater. [edit] As an aside, there are no single laser IMAX theaters in Illinois.

drat, I'm in IL and chose IMAX 3D over Dolby 3D (theater has both). Looks like I messed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Rental Sting posted:

drat, I'm in IL and chose IMAX 3D over Dolby 3D (theater has both). Looks like I messed up.

Apparently legacy IMAX 3D (digital/xenon) can project HFR. It's only the dual laser systems that can't. You have to confirm with your theater though I think.

[edit] But yes, the Dolby Cinema 3D picture will be a lot better, and according to this spread sheet, every AMC Dolby Cinema in IL is 1.85 AR, so they should project the full frame image (or close to it I guess) similar to IMAX.

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 8, 2022