Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Oh no the conflict of interest of: a director liking another director’s movie

I wasn't being serious.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

just watched this part of Avatar for the first time in years, when the big final battle begins.

so many epic moments in just four minutes. great shot composition and attention to detail - from the reflections on the visors of the soldiers' helmets in the jungle to the hazy backdrop with the horse-like animals charging. I say this as someone harsh on blockbusters (Cameron does it right)

I'm realizing I remember a lot less of the original that I thought. Time for a rewatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1600956218457071624

:sickos:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Rental Sting posted:

drat, I'm in IL and chose IMAX 3D over Dolby 3D (theater has both). Looks like I messed up.

You can always see it again :v:

Unless the movie is absolutely awful, I'm definitely going to have to go back for a second viewing and see it in dolby cinema just to see how that compares to the imax laser setup, if its even noticeably different.

I'd really love to try viewing it on one of those Samsung cinemas as I'm super curious about them, but by the time those are more widespread (if ever) Avatar 2 will be long out of the theaters but... maybe samsung will make enough inroads with them by the time of Avatar 3. It just feels like the obvious way forward at this point with our display tech.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Rental Sting posted:

drat, I'm in IL and chose IMAX 3D over Dolby 3D (theater has both). Looks like I messed up.

Honestly as someone who likes HFR and saw a scene from Way of Water in HFR 3D, id say save the HFR for your second viewing and IMAX 3D will be the best first time viewing.

It is amazing but is definitely so visually bonkers it is actively distracting, especially with the variable format, and there is a chance you wont like it.

IMAX 3D is the safer bet to just lose yourself in the biggest version of the movie and not worry about HFR potentially detracting from the experince.

I will be seeing it in HFR for my second viewing so I guess if you are only looking to see it once go for it in that case.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, I'm definitely seeing this movie more than once and it will be on a variety of different screens.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
I feel better now, thanks.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Basically, see it in IMAX on the biggest loving screen possible for the most immersive experience. See it in a Dolby Cinema for brightest/most vibrant picture with HFR.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

teagone posted:

Yeah, I'm definitely seeing this movie more than once and it will be on a variety of different screens.

Yeah I've already got tix for 3 seperate showings. IMAX 3D, Dolby HFR 3D and then IMAX 3D HFR. Driving probably over an hour to go to the only real IMAX screen in SoCal that is also doing HFR.

Weirdly the best Dolby in LA is NOT showing HFR which blows my mind.

Heres some format guides:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Avatar/com...nt=share_button

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 9, 2022

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

just watched this part of Avatar for the first time in years, when the big final battle begins.

so many epic moments in just four minutes. great shot composition and attention to detail - from the reflections on the visors of the soldiers' helmets in the jungle to the hazy backdrop with the horse-like animals charging. I say this as someone harsh on blockbusters (Cameron does it right)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW58e84rMko

gently caress yeah, the bit where they plunge through the aerial formation and start throwing choppers around, massive arrows punching through cockpits. the heroes are awesome and so is quaritch: "break formation, engage all hostiles." and the chorus kicking in as his ship opens up. man, if the second film can do better than this...

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

One of the most striking things about Avatars cinematography in retrospect is how relatively "restrained" its camera movements and choreography are compared to so many recent blockbusters.

Besides photoreal rendering, what really sells the VFX is that its shot like theres a camera there with minimal "impossible" shots that just scream artificial camera movement. Theres a humanity to the actor and camera blocking.

Aerial shots feel like they were shot from a heli, shots that feel like theyre on cranes or wires, the camera is grounded and not constantly swinging around everywhere doing wild poo poo that is overly flashy.

Despite all of its technical wizadry it is actually a very grounded movie in its visual execution.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
it's wild how it's just people doing cool stuff over and over and on both sides of the fight. even the basic human soldiers get moments, like when the flying beasts grab one side gunner from one of the scorpions, his buddy turns and draws his sidearm and takes a shot -- only to get eaten from behind by another. these guys are tough as nails professionals! and quaritch is an extension of that: he's always got a plan and he's got firepower and he's totally relentless. compare it to marvel's excuses of action scenes and antagonists lmao

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

AccountSupervisor posted:

One of the most striking things about Avatars cinematography in retrospect is how relatively "restrained" its camera movements and choreography are compared to so many recent blockbusters.

Besides photoreal rendering, what really sells the VFX is that its shot like theres a camera there with minimal "impossible" shots that just scream artificial camera movement. Theres a humanity to the actor and camera blocking.

Aerial shots feel like they were shot from a heli, shots that feel like theyre on cranes or wires, the camera is grounded and not constantly swinging around everywhere doing wild poo poo that is overly flashy.

Despite all of its technical wizadry it is actually a very grounded movie in its visual execution.

Compare that stuff to the unbroken NYC shot in Avengers where the camera zooms around like it's a Bayonetta cutscene.

well why not fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 9, 2022

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

well why not posted:

Compare that stuff to the unbroken NYC shot in Avengers where the camera zooms around like it's a Bayonetta cutscene.

The Hobbit series and Tin Tin are the most egregious examples for me, especially because they all came about in the post-Avatar blockbuster landscape.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

well why not posted:

God, this movie is such rear end

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

LesterGroans posted:

God, this movie is such rear end

there was another clip from it, and it's been bumped to 60FPS and it looks absolutely dog poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udKE1ksKWDE

The 60fps is the fault of the youtuber (who i place on the level of a war criminal for this) but even without it, it's a terribly shot sequence

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
i'll never get over how much avengers took from transformers: dark of the moon

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

well why not posted:

there was another clip from it, and it's been bumped to 60FPS and it looks absolutely dog poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udKE1ksKWDE

The 60fps is the fault of the youtuber (who i place on the level of a war criminal for this) but even without it, it's a terribly shot sequence

lmao the frame rate change straight up turns it into an Asylum mockbuster. Transmorphers-rear end movie.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

AccountSupervisor posted:

Yeah I've already got tix for 3 seperate showings. IMAX 3D, Dolby HFR 3D and then IMAX 3D HFR. Driving probably over an hour to go to the only real IMAX screen in SoCal that is also doing HFR.

Weirdly the best Dolby in LA is NOT showing HFR which blows my mind.

Heres some format guides:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Avatar/com...nt=share_button

Spectrum Regal 20 screen 12? I'm going to AMC 15 the first weekend but I might drive down the following weekend once the hype hits OC lol.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Show me another blockbuster action director that does it like Cameron does in the thick of poo poo, hauling a big rear end camera rig:

(timestamped 2m25s)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61kMpOgkZRs&t=145s

I love how you can see he was annoyed with that guy behind him afterward lmao. You know Cameron gave that dude an earful at the craft services table or someshit lololol.

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 9, 2022

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Horizon Burning posted:

drat i actually never really thought about it that way but true. They really did just do that huh

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Horizon Burning posted:

There's even the skylaser, portal, cube and the huge wrecking monster. They were in production around the same time, so it's unlikely an intentional rip.

teagone posted:

Show me another blockbuster action director that does it like Cameron does in the thick of poo poo, hauling a big rear end camera rig:

Titanic BTS has him ripping around backwards during the dance sequence with a camera. He also mentions it's his hands and artwork during the iconic 'draw me like one of your french girls' scene.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Just bought 10 tickets for a Sunday matinee show. In Canada it's called UltraAVX - Dolby atmos, HFR, laser, comfy seats, 3D, and the same screen size as IMAX. It fuckin owns.
Vancouver's IMAX is literally the worst kind of IMAX with garbage screen brightness, tight seats, and non-Atmos sound.

Edit: Also it seems like every screening is already 80% full. I wanted to go to the theater with all the same fancy stuff + full recliners but I couldn't find a day where I could get enough tickets :mad:

stratdax fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 9, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

well why not posted:

Titanic BTS has him ripping around backwards during the dance sequence with a camera. He also mentions it's his hands and artwork during the iconic 'draw me like one of your french girls' scene.

Yup, it's why I have such massive respect for both Cameron and Snyder as filmmakers; they're both legit artists.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

teagone posted:

Michael bay does it all the time but I’d take these guys over everyone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yamBh_hHebU

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

teagone posted:

Yup, it's why I have such massive respect for both Cameron and Snyder as filmmakers; they're both legit artists.

:psyduck:

Snyder at best is a pimple on Cameron’s rear end. Please don’t insult Cameron by comparing him to that moron, thanks.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MLSM posted:

:psyduck:

Snyder at best is a pimple on Cameron’s rear end. Please don’t insult Cameron by comparing him to that moron, thanks.

https://twitter.com/snyder_all/status/1600941327482355712

Sit down. Zack Snyder comes from an art background same as Cameron. [edit] For context, Zack Snyder's mother was a painter and he studied painting at a fine arts school in London before transferring to film school in Cali.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 9, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Michael bay does it all the time but I’d take these guys over everyone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yamBh_hHebU

Lmao, I just watched this. Those guys are nuts.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

teagone posted:

Sit down. Zack Snyder comes from an art background same as Cameron. [edit] For context, Zack Snyder's mother was a painter and he studied painting at a fine arts school in London before transferring to film school in Cali.

Nah, he’s actually a suspended adolescent and his films reflect that. His name shan’t be uttered in the same breath as Jimothy Cameron.

I’m pretty sure every single thought in Zak Snyder’s head is preceded by the phrase “wouldn’t it be cool if…”

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jewmanji posted:

Nah, he’s actually a suspended adolescent and his films reflect that. His name shan’t be uttered in the same breath as Jimothy Cameron.

I’m pretty sure every single thought in Zak Snyder’s head is preceded by the phrase “wouldn’t it be cool if…”

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Jewmanji posted:

Shut the gently caress up.

E:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am7yLmKU8R0

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 9, 2022

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Jewmanji, thank you for preserving in amber exactly why we have the quarantine thread. Somebody posts the name "Zack Snyder" and you just completely go off the rails. You, an adult man presumably near or in his forties, telling a stranger on a message board about inventing motives for them, a person who you have never met and primarily interacted with through their studio-made gazillion dollar blockbusters. I expect this poo poo from Reddit teens, not from you.

It's ok to hate Snyder, it's not ok to let him live rent free in your head. Get that fool out of there. Call a priest.

edit: I thought you posted the original post, so I apologize for that. but still. don't do that!!!

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 9, 2022

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

Snyder is the heir apparent to the GOAT James Cameron, if you don't like facts feel free to make up some more and post them somewhere else.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Jewmanji, thank you for preserving in amber exactly why we have the quarantine thread. Somebody posts the name "Zack Snyder" and you just completely go off the rails. You, an adult man presumably near or in his forties, telling a stranger on a message board to not mention a director you don't like, then pivoting to inventing motives for them, a person who you have never met and primarily interacted with through their studio-made gazillion dollar blockbusters. I expect this poo poo from Reddit teens, not from you.

It's ok to hate Snyder, it's not ok to let him live rent free in your head. Get that fool out of there. Call a priest.

The quarantine thread actually exists because Snyder fans would relentlessly poo poo up every thread that even uttered the mildest critique of him, but go on.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

MLSM posted:

The quarantine thread actually exists because Snyder fans would relentlessly poo poo up every thread that even uttered the mildest critique of him, but go on.

It’s ok to admit you were wrong. Or even to not admit it and just stop posting about it instead.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

MLSM posted:

Ah yes, "he's a moron manchild, as are his fans - the ones that aren't fascists anyway" is mild critique.

I'm not going to continue this derail but it's a forum - anyone who cares to can easily go into the archives and see this is bullshit.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

MLSM posted:

Please go back to cspam

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

MLSM posted:

gently caress off, sky person

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Ah yes, "he's a moron manchild, as are his fans - the ones that aren't fascists anyway" is mild critique.

I'm not going to continue this derail but it's a forum - anyone who cares to can easily go into the archives and see this is bullshit.

Genuinely didn’t mean to strike such a nerve with what I thought was a nothing, milquetoast post. But you said I “went completely off the rails” and now you’re accusing me of calling some Snyder fans morons and fascists when I didn’t say a single thing about his fans? Get a grip.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Dang Avatar blu ray is hard to find now on Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Only fact that matters is Jim Cameron has cited Snyder as an inspiration and admires his work. Real recognizes real, GOAT recognizes GOAT, etc. Feel free to disagree with the king of the box office himself, but know that you're wrong to do so.