Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Genisys was weak. I saw it on a plane and they cut the helicopter scene down a lot. Haven’t seen salvation but I like Bale and the setting seems cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Dark Fate was cool. Mackenzie Davis is a great action star :allears:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

well why not posted:

Haven’t seen salvation but I like Bale and the setting seems cool.

Salvation has one of the biggest disconnects between how good it should be based on what it looks like on paper and the film itself. It's loving awful.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Salvation has the best line from Bale screaming “what are you!!” to Sam Worthington right after a quiet conversation.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I give Salvation a little credit for telling a story that's not the exact same as the five other ones, while keeping some of the themes and continuity. But only a little.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Kuiperdolin posted:

I give Salvation a little credit for telling a story that's not the exact same as the five other ones, while keeping some of the themes and continuity. But only a little.

It also bungles literally every aspect of the story it's trying to tell. It's useless. The closest thing it had to a good idea, and a nice, natural progression from 'bad termintator-good terminator-?' was a terminator that didn't know it was a terminator. That's genuinely a good take. But they hosed it up because of course they did.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just don’t know why they went for gritty and realistic and just left out the purple lasers and poo poo.

If they have to make more terminator movies just do some future war rogue one thing. Just something new and cool that has no time travel or Connor’s pls. Or Reese’s.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

checkplease posted:

Salvation has the best line from Bale screaming “what are you!!” to Sam Worthington right after a quiet conversation.

This exchange still pops into my head on occasion. It just doesn't make any sense. They're talking, they finish talking. Worthington backs away slowly and bale randomly yells that out. End scene (I think? I haven't seen it in years).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Kingtheninja posted:

This exchange still pops into my head on occasion. It just doesn't make any sense. They're talking, they finish talking. Worthington backs away slowly and bale randomly yells that out. End scene (I think? I haven't seen it in years).

Salvation has some interesting edits, like Terry Crews only showing up as a dead body.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

It was very prominent in the trailer. Maybe it was a line that tested well in a movie that I have to assume didn't test well. You don't want to cut one of the few bits people like from your movie.

It also made the same annoying mistake as Terminator 3, putting the biggest, best action scene in the first half of the movie and never topping it.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

To be fair T2 did that too, the truck and bike pursuit is the high point of the movie. The shootouts at the asylum and factory are cool but not as memorable.

Kuiperdolin fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 7, 2023

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Kuiperdolin posted:

To be fair T2 did that too, the truck and bike pursuit is the high point of the movie. The shootouts at the asylum and factory are cool but not as memorable.

The truck/bike thing is cool but the Cyberdyne -> helicopter/truck chase -> factory is one long climax and handily beats the stuffing out of it. If I ask somebody to name a memorable action beat it's probably in there.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

https://www.npr.org/2023/11/07/1211269495/orca-boat-yacht-attack-spain-morocco

Ever since watching "Avatar:Way of the Water" I feel I've been getting seasonal reminders that whales destroy rich people boats

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Oh shiiiit, it's happening!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cCVYAcIIAo

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Kuiperdolin posted:

It is not the high part of that movie. It's real good, but the movie handily tops it a couple of times by the end.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Seriously. The helicopter on the freeway alone is so sick and objectively tops the mac truck, which was already awesome. Insane take to say T2 peaks early.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

The steel mill scenes are also pretty incredible and don't let you down. Just aesthetically, the "descent into Hell" aspect of it is very memorable, and the liquid nitrogen scene is one of the best in the film. Then there's the hosed up body horror aspect with the T-1000 after the mortar shell explosion. The entire last third is still great.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Cameron really putting that Disney clout to good use.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
It's a shame it seems to be the extended version. The alien conjured tidal wave is dumb and the original theatrical cut is so much stronger for omitting it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

aw yisss

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Now they just need to explode and maim some whalers.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Why would Polyphemus, a son of Poseidon, have a satellite named after Pandora, an unrelated mortal?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Kingtheninja posted:

My partner and I quote that a lot because it's so stupid, Sam Worthington issues a half-hearted "I dunno" after that cracks us both up

What a loving shitpile flick, gently caress you McG

And whoever posted it earlier is right, hey everyone check put this new Terminator flick it's going to be....

A $$$ Terminator movie that's a prequel, reboot, and sorta sequel simultaneously

Has a cast that includes Christian Bale, Anton Yelchin as young Kyle Reese, Common, Terry Crews, Michael Ironside, Bryce Dallas Howard, Sam Worthington, Terry Crews, etc.

Outstanding effects work and even a lot of practical stuff

Written by the guy that wrote The Dark Knight and The Prestige

Focuses on the future war time

Terminator/human hybrid character what does it mean to be human stuff

John Connor the prophet

How did this movie loving suck so bad, gently caress that movie

I still lol there's a very brief shot towards the end in the SkyNet facility where you can see the silhouettes of some regular people from an earlier time in the flick's production where several traitorous humans that work with or/and maintain SkyNet were going to be a thing

Also holy gently caress I completely for about Helena Bonham Carter lmao

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Nov 17, 2023

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!
I don't care what anyone else says about Salvation, "I saw a man" was the funniest poo poo. Careless Whisper started playing in my head. Terminator has always loved its sneaky sex jokes (e.g. the pan to the FREE ADULT MOVIES sign over the motel after the sex scene in the first one), but Sam Worthington's humanity being established by his dick takes the cake.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Cameron stays winning

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Cameron: Great Director or Greatest Director?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gatts posted:

Yes.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gatts posted:

I’ve know this since his Aliens pitch.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I watched this movie again. I hope one of the sequels has a big blue elephant they bond with.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I watched this movie again. I hope one of the sequels has a big blue elephant they bond with.

Pretty sure it'll be Volcano Whales this time. So like graboids that swim in lava or something.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

The first one had flying things and the second one had swimming things. Third one will have to have uhhhh burrowing things??

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I want Pandora mole rats

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Killingyouguy! posted:

The first one had flying things and the second one had swimming things. Third one will have to have uhhhh burrowing things??

Like I said, graboids. Australian Ahab dude will be chasing the protagonists around in some huge drill train I bet.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
We come full circle and get sandworms. Ashworms?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Bless Eywa and her water. Bless the coming and going of her. May her passage cleanse the world. May she keep the world for His people.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

https://x.com/neytirisgroove/status/1734804428497293472?s=42

Deleted scenes are out.

Neytiri was very much about to kill Spider lol

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

she's so extra. no other na'vi are hissing and sneering like she does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
She’s the only raised in the old ways.

Yeah theatrical scene works better for me.