Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Avatar is a movie I have always loved(saw it 4 times in theaters) but it has only gotten better with time. Compared to almost all major blockbusters since, it is relatively quaint and not super bombastic for $250mil blockbuster. Its not an overly complicated frenetic or a sensory overload, its classical adventure filmmaking wrapped in cutting edge technology and its truly unique in that regard.

Its also one of the more restrained uses of CGI , and yes I know how insane that sounds given what it is, but specifically in regards to its digital cinematography. It lacks a lot of that wild impossible camera movement that CGI affords a lot of people(see Tin Tin) and its relatively grounded and filmed as if there is a camera present or using a lot of traditional crane and helicopter type set ups for the bigger stuff. Of course it has some insane stuff you could only achieve with a free camera, but its used sparringly and to great effect.

I said often before COVID this was going to be a $3bil movie based on some market research I did comparing its global reach to other box office record holders and IP giants(MCU mostly) but I think its going to have a harder time crossing that record in the current global climate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Horizon Burning posted:

always bet on jim.

This is the way.

The discourse is always the same and he always comes out on top so theres literally no reason to doubt anything would be different now.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

kliras posted:

3d trailer out now too if you can set it up

https://twitter.com/digital_theater/status/1524117611679731712

i hear some vr apps are the easiest way to do it

Thank you SO much for this.

Me and my friends often do VR 3D movie nights and this will be perfect to play before hand!

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Gorman Thomas posted:

Essentially just based on the 2009 box office and 2021 remastered re-release in China, which the US is getting in September. There isn't any other evidence than (1) international audiences loved Titanic and Avatar 1 and (2) Jim Cameron always delivers. I'm pretty bullish on the success of this series because it's such a weird outlier in modern blockbusters, not because of any underlying metrics lol.

If you track Avatars financial success not just in Chinese markets but even medium-small foreign markets Ive always felt thats really the reason it at the time was able to make such a huge amount of money not even counting inflation. China is a bigger slice of the pie now which is why I think itll break the record again.

Theres a huge factor people often leave out of the cultural equation for why Avatar made loads and has a staying power internationally and its because for a lot of foreign markets Avatar was the first original big massive expensive IP 3D movie with all the modern theatrical bells and whistles that wasnt a contiuation or adapation of a culturally previously established Western property. IE Star Wars sequels in comparsion to Avatar didnt do as much in China and other markets compared to Avatar because they simply did not grow up with that kind of stuff the way we did in the West and did not have the theaters to make the prequels much money so for a long time outside of EU stuff, Star Wars wasnt the phenomenon it is in the west. None of this is even counting how much its plot and themes probably resonated outside of the US despite the irony.

The MCU has absolutely done the same...but after Avatar. Avatar was the movie that paved the way for those movies to have the capacity to have a foothold in foreign markets.

I think the international perspective on Avatar is probably a lot different than here simply because of how memorable, groundbreaking and iconic its presence in foreign markets was in 2009.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Awesome. Further backing my points about Avatar vs Star Wars in the BO and how you can track these two as a measure of "who even cares about Avatar anymore" being an incredibly inaccurate sentiment in regards to its global cultural relevancy.

Also all this talk about Disney and Avatar is interesting because these movies were years underway before the Fox merger and I dont really know how much of an affect Disney buying Fox had on the screenplays. I doubt Cameron just let Disney walk in and start hacking out any messaging that might not be to there liking.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 11, 2022

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am weirdo 3D superfan and watch almost anything available in the format and outside of the occasional kids movies the whole "thing popping out at your face in 3D" is almost entirely non-existent save a few outliers now so I dont know why people still harp on that trope.

The last serious movie I can think of that used it non-ironically was Fury Road and its literally one shot.

3D is amazing and I hope it never goes away especially so we can still get films like Long Days Journey Into Night which justifies its entire existence as a technology.

I also really love all the 3D masters of Jurassic Park, T2, Tianic and yes even The Last Emperor got a wonderful conversion.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Gresh posted:

Avatar is Princess Mononoke for the lowest common denominator

God that turtleneck must be suffocating you.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Right, whereas I haven't felt the need to revisit Avatar once in over ten years.

I doubt Aliens would make even close to the $200mil Avatar took in its 2019 theaterical re-release.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 13, 2022

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Theres a heap of ethnocentrism lumped in with a lot of peoples snobbish attitude towards Avatar and Ill always point to this video to demonstrate one aspect of why the film is and was so drat popular around the world.

"Lowest common denominator", right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mobWJFfV3I

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Fsmhunk posted:

Lol, sick. Doing the same stuff as the Marvel Guys 'It's actually evil not to like our lovely movie.'

Its ok to not like something.

Its an incredibly shithead thing to do to look down on and call people who like things you dont lesser than you.

What the gently caress is a Marvel Guy?

Youre wrong? Im showing you direct evidence that its not as irrelevant in pop culture as youre making it seem because you think it is. Can you provide any evidence to your argument besides youre own anecdotal experience?

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 14, 2022

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Kingtheninja posted:

Idk if anyone played the first avatar game but I remember it had standard third person action elements mixed with a risk like territory map section, it was pretty cool if you got it for ten bucks.

It wasnt half bad, better than most movie licensed games. It was pretty cool in 3D as well!

It was of course one of the first "major" games you could play in 3D that kicked off a very brief spur of video games released in 3D that died around 2018(iirc Shadow of the Tomb Raider was the last AAA to release with 3D)

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Yeah US audiences are weird towards Avatar but at the same time Americans are Avatar 2s least important audience so even if they capture like half the domestic box office Avatar did in 2009 (which they will almost certainly capture equal if not more of) it will still probably easily break records.

I think only around 25% of Avatars box office was domestic.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I had no idea they were remastering Avatar in HFR as well.

Ill be seeing it in Dolby Vision HFR 3D on Monday and I am so hyped.

Ive seen The Hobbit movies, Billy Lynns Halftime Walk and Gemini Man in HFR 3D and while for pretty much anything purely live action it looks strange, it was pretty rad for anything with heavy CGI so Avatar is perfect for it.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Just saw the remaster in Dolby HFR 3D..... really quick report.

It is the variable HFR Cameron has been hyping up. Id say maybe 20% was actually in HFR and only a handful of shots were really cranked up to the levels of The Hobbit and Ang Lees movies

For Avatar it...worked....but Im kind of not sure the point since there was so little of the movie that had the full level of it. But I guess I do see the technical point of it in smoothing out motion judder in 3D. It also definitely looked like post-processed HFR and not rendered HFR.

That said....they played a scene from Way of Water in HFR 3D and holy. loving. poo poo. That is truthfully the most photo realistic fully CGI render I have ever seen on a screen. It was a scene involving being fully underwater and it looked like it was straight out of Blue Planet. It was also just absolutely loving beautiful.

Way of Water is going to make 3 billion dollars.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Lmao the re-release puts it at $2.9bil(first movie to ever cross that mark) and its likely with double features or any additional engagements with Way of Water, Avatar could cross $3bil before end of year.

*gestures to thread title*

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

The scene they showed at the end of the remaster from Way of Water legitimately looks like its out of a Blue Planet documentary so Id say hes proved his point already.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

God after 13 years endlessly defending this movie from film nerds and legitmately doing weeks of research and box office analysis as blockbusters came and went since 2009 to continually demonstrate Avatar 2 will make gangbusters again....if these early reviews end up being the general reception Im gunna wallow in a glorious I loving TOLD YOU SO till the end of time.

Im gunna have to dig out one of my old long long posts about this from over the years.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Dec 8, 2022

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Imagine getting to be blown away by a movie from a guy who gave you $1mil to save your dad from a kidnapping in 1998.

What a cool friendship

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

Wtf I never knew about this. GdT really should’ve disclosed this conflict of interest before that tweet.

Yup.

https://www.grunge.com/793514/how-james-cameron-saved-guillermo-del-toros-father-from-kidnappers/

They became friends at a 4th of July party around the time of Cronos and Guillermo was broke as all hell from dumping his money into Cronos and Mimic.

His dad got kidnapped and he couldnt afford the $1m ransom. Cameron took him to a bank, got the $1m and hired a negotiator and got his dad back. Del Torro and his family fled Mexico as a result.

Hands down my favorite "did you know?" story about any filmmaker.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Rental Sting posted:

drat, I'm in IL and chose IMAX 3D over Dolby 3D (theater has both). Looks like I messed up.

Honestly as someone who likes HFR and saw a scene from Way of Water in HFR 3D, id say save the HFR for your second viewing and IMAX 3D will be the best first time viewing.

It is amazing but is definitely so visually bonkers it is actively distracting, especially with the variable format, and there is a chance you wont like it.

IMAX 3D is the safer bet to just lose yourself in the biggest version of the movie and not worry about HFR potentially detracting from the experince.

I will be seeing it in HFR for my second viewing so I guess if you are only looking to see it once go for it in that case.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

teagone posted:

Yeah, I'm definitely seeing this movie more than once and it will be on a variety of different screens.

Yeah I've already got tix for 3 seperate showings. IMAX 3D, Dolby HFR 3D and then IMAX 3D HFR. Driving probably over an hour to go to the only real IMAX screen in SoCal that is also doing HFR.

Weirdly the best Dolby in LA is NOT showing HFR which blows my mind.

Heres some format guides:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Avatar/com...nt=share_button

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 9, 2022

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

One of the most striking things about Avatars cinematography in retrospect is how relatively "restrained" its camera movements and choreography are compared to so many recent blockbusters.

Besides photoreal rendering, what really sells the VFX is that its shot like theres a camera there with minimal "impossible" shots that just scream artificial camera movement. Theres a humanity to the actor and camera blocking.

Aerial shots feel like they were shot from a heli, shots that feel like theyre on cranes or wires, the camera is grounded and not constantly swinging around everywhere doing wild poo poo that is overly flashy.

Despite all of its technical wizadry it is actually a very grounded movie in its visual execution.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

well why not posted:

Compare that stuff to the unbroken NYC shot in Avengers where the camera zooms around like it's a Bayonetta cutscene.

The Hobbit series and Tin Tin are the most egregious examples for me, especially because they all came about in the post-Avatar blockbuster landscape.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Gorman Thomas posted:

Spectrum Regal 20 screen 12? I'm going to AMC 15 the first weekend but I might drive down the following weekend once the hype hits OC lol.

Yup, Spectrum is single laser so theyll be doing IMAX 3D HFR.

Im bummed AMC 15 isnt doing HFR in the Dolby but LA Lives Premium Dolby theater is so thats where Ill be going for that.

Edit:

Also hilarious that all someone did was state they respect Snyder and Cameron for being artists, harmlessly expressing positivity towards filmmakers they enjoy and someone responds with immediate hostility, yet we're the weird ones. Grow the gently caress up if literally just the mention of a directors name illicits that kind of emotion.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 10, 2022

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

The British film industry famously hates Cameron so it adds up

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Just found out the Universal CityWalk AMC in LA is indeed showing this in HFR in the IMAX 3D showings. Hyped.

It looks like if youre seeing it at a 1.43 IMAX and it has a laser projector itll most likely be in HFR even if it doesnt specify.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I cant loving believe Cameron made a 3+ hour space fantasy about a terrorist and his family being hunted by a psychotic American war criminal in the background of an agressive full bore colonization.

Absolute mad lad

250mil Mujahideen apologia

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Tea Party Crasher posted:

Then I am confused as to what the end goal is, because I feel like what they understand about the interconnected nature of the planet and the cultural attitudes of the natives are going to make it impossible for the last of the human population and the navi to peacefully cohabitate.

They dont want to peacefully cohabitate they want to dominate and subjugate. Jake Sully is a terrorist leader they want to elimate for strategic purposes, the larger human colony plans/story arent really the focus of this movie, its a personal revenge quest masquerading as a somewhat special ops man hunt. Its really small in scale compared to the first movie which kind of surprised me. The humans also dont just genocide on a whim every Navi on the planet because I dont think they are quite Star Wars Empire "planet killer" level crazy just Manifest Destiny level crazy.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

It was pretty cool on acid

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Really bummed we never got this scene fully realized because an Avatar acid trip fully finished would have owned in 3D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tAJFD5fhrE

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

This is a pretty great article where they go over a lot of the tech advances they did for this movie as well.

https://beforesandafters.com/2022/12/21/why-the-cg-water-in-the-way-of-water-looks-so-good/

The stuff about their water sims is pretty nuts.

Also turns out this shot VFX folks were going insane over was a blend of live action and CG.

b&a mag posted:

b&a: Finally, there was a lot of online speculation after people saw that shot of the hands tightening the leather straps on the creature on the water surface, and people wondering whether it was practical or CG. To settle the debate, can you tell me if that was real or CG?

Eric Saindon: The shot in question was both live action and CG. The props department built a Ilu saddle and strap for Kevin Dorman to sit on in a small pool on stage. Kevin’s hand and forearm were painted by Sarah Rubano using reference of Jake’s arm from the CG model. Jim Cameron was then able to get the performance he wanted for the wrapping of the strap around Jake’s hand and interacting with the water. Once we got the plates at Wētā FX, we match moved the motion and used CG from the straps above Jake’s wrists. We used real water over the saddle and around the hands and fingers. CG water was used to extend the plate and to get the interaction of Jake’s body in the water.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Variable High Frame Rate is a fundamentally flawed idea and if youre gunna do HFR just do the whole thing.

From a technical and theoretical standpoint I vehemently disagree with Cameron on its usefulness and Id argue it is antithetical to how a mind perceives seamless film editing, the kinetics of action scene editing and generally how weight/movement is perceived in different frame rates.

I truly do not understand what Cameron thinks its solving doing both. As someone who watches 3D content all of the time both on flat screen and in VR, Id say it is actively more of an uncomfortable experience for the eyes/brain than just comitting to one frame rate.

You should never ever ever be able to "perceive" a cut, VFR makes you constantly aware of editing.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

teagone posted:

What do you think if maybe Cameron had limited the HFR content to ONLY underwater sequences?

I think that would have been the way to go for variable. Or do full sequences in HFR, not shot by shot.

I saw it again in normal 3D and I really missed the underwater in HFR but I also enjoyed just being able to flow with the movie not go "oh drat" everytime they dropped out of HFR or "woah" everytime they cut back into it.

I feel like there was never enough time unless it was an underwater sequence to soak in how wild HFR looks with this level of CGI.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

I would imagine the unobtainium is still being harvested or mined or w/e by someone while this is all going on, especially if humanity has been building on the planet rapidly for a year as per the prologue

If you don’t experience anybody talking about offshore drilling for a full day it doesn’t mean it’s not still going on somewhere

Or horrible poo poo to irl whales for that matter :/

General Ardmore specifically says "we're not here to mine, this is about the survival of the human species on Pandora" so Im pretty sure theyve dropped unobtainium extraction completely for now, for whatever reasons(too much effort for a reward that isnt relevant to humanities needs or goals on Pandora)

As much as the whale brain goo has the "its expensive" angle too, it seems much easier to obtain and its much more about its anti-aging effects. Theres constant themes of
death and rebirth in Avatar, "all energy is borrowed and must be returned" etc. Camerons absolutely setting this series up to take a deeper crack at the idea of the rich and wealthy chasing immortality, fear of death and upsetting "balance" for selfish reasons.

TWOW has made double in two weeks what Sonic 2 made its entire theatrical run. I wouldn't be surprised to see them push it forward two weeks.

Babylon got absolutely decimated (for many reasons) this weekend but you can bet your rear end one of them is Avatar.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 26, 2022

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Vir posted:

I watched the first Avatar once, enjoyed it well enough, and then more or less forgot about it until I heard about the sequels. Sure, Avatar has a fan base, but most of the people turning up to see Avatar 2 now isn't "Avatar fans", I think. It's regular mass audiences who may or may not remember the first one. It does well with infrequent movie goers - as in not the audience who see every Marvel and DC film, and don't go to see every film like The Lighthouse, The Whale or The Menu etc. These people might have gone to see Parasite because they heard it won an Academy Award, but most likely they just took their kids to see Minions and Maverick.

This is pretty much it. Avatar has a pretty big global fan base, more so "fans of Avatar 1" than what we consider modern fandom(think shelves of products behind a youtuber) It is a movie also expertly designed to be easily delivered accross every possible market and culture. Its the easiest currently running big blockbuster IP to digest and a simple buy in.

Its got themes and story threads almost anybody on the planet can understand and identify with in some capacity. It wants you to be wowed without demanding and assuming you will be just by the nature of its expensive CGI so it actually puts in thoughtful effort to impress you.

It does everything a mass marketed film that needs to make billions does, but also happens to be made by a visionary technical genius with infinite clout and tight control over his product so it doesnt come out like some bland fast food meant to be eaten and forgotten about till your next craving.
You may not remember specifics of the meal, but youll remember the experience.

Its old school big franchise filmmaking with the wizardry of modern effects pushed to the extreme and that has and always will be Avatars winning formula. People really do not understand how incredibly rare this type of filmmaking is today, if not practically non-existent outside of Cameron.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 27, 2022

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Dolby 3D is absolutely the best way to see this movie. Ive seen it now in all possible 3D formats and my god Dolby shines with this movie.

It even slightly changed my opinions on the HFR, the framerate shifts are way way way smoother in Dolby.

I still wish the whole movie was HFR.

And this movie just gets better everytime I see it. Cameron you magnificent bastard.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

SCheeseman posted:

I want to see the movie in 120hz volumetric (lightfield or whatever) in a wide FOV, HDR capable headset. gently caress me up, Jim.

It actually kind of blows my mind they haven't made any kind of Avatar VR experience. Its probably the most thematically appropriate IP to create one for.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

When was Kate Winslett's record-breaking underwater scene in the film?

I feel like she had a lot cut from the movie, the photograph they used in all those articles about her free diving isnt in the movie.

Theres very little scenes with her fully underwater so I'm not sure why she had to go quite that extreme.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

There is no IMAX auditorium at Lincoln Center.

Assuming they meant the Lincoln Square IMAX, Ive heard people mix that up before.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Titanic 3D made like $350mil in 2012. I dont see why this re-release wouldnt do at least a cool $100mil-200mil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

Would that have been necessary in this case though? You’re seeing Quaritch from behind and Neytiri from a distance and only for a brief moment as an inset image in a larger frame

Yeah they definitely would have just used the mocap data from Avatar 1 for that scene instead of reshooting it.