Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
went and saw the remaster this weekend, i don't understand how people don't like this movie. this was my first time seeing it in the theater, although i've seen it several times on small screen, but still i thought i was going to cry and/or puke when the home tree came down. hell of a movie.

the trailer looked incredible too, really looking forward to december.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
just got back from an imax 3d showing and wow. just, loving wow.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
lol mark commode

anyhow i've had a chance to sit and think for a bit so here are the bits of the plot that were left as sequel bait that i'm really interested in.

in the exposition they say that earth is dying, and the current plan is to move earth's population (everyone? the important ones?) to pandora.
and that it's no longer about unobtanium (which is the perfect name for that, come at me), but now it's this insanely expensive anti-aging syrum from the space whales that's the main economic driver of the pandora invasion.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

dr_rat posted:

It's best to remember the boring blue aliens represent the investor/capitalist class, the people who pretend to be boring blue aliens represent class traitors, and the marines workers seizing the means of production. Cameron is trying to lie to you by saying change can not happen, he is wrong!

THIS IS TEXT!!!!!

lol

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
yeah, i think that any movie targeted at as a broad an audience as possible, instead of me specifically, is pretty shallow and hollow. like, i don't really come at movies as someone saying what's important to them and transporting me to a reality they've seen, i see it more as a service i've earned by paying for a ticket. by those standards, i really think this movie falls on it's face, although admittedly the effects are, compared to the first avatar movie, like a terminator to t2 jump.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Darko posted:

Visually, it was amazing. I dont even have an issue with the base plot. The action sequences were also directed so much ridiculously better than most of the nonsense we've been getting as tentpoles over the past 10 years.

My main issue, outside of disappearing characters in action sequences, is the repetition of scenes/setups. I dont care if you make an in-joke about it; its still annoying to see things happen over and over again.

In fact, one character does the same thing 4 different times to drive the plot!

i'm sure if someone gave you $200 million you could make a much better movie. that's just how smart you are.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

lol we’re at this stage already huh

hell yeah, get on board and love it already.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

mcmagic posted:

Did anyone else have trouble figuring out which of the sons was the one that died?

no

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i really hope in the next film or the one after it cameron shows us what earth in the avatar world looks like.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Renreeja posted:

I went to see it in a theater in Korea morning time, most everybody in the theater was older people, parents watching when their kids are in school. At the end of the movie everybody was wiping tears, wife and me included. Its funny after having a kid myself the "MYY SONNNN!" stuff hits so hard

i've been thinking about this while catching up on the thread.

i was in my 30s when the first avatar came out, and i didn't see it then. it's just been in the past year or two that i finally saw it. i don't think the 2010 me would've have liked the movie nearly as much (or at all even) as the 2020 me, and a lot of that comes down to stuff like having had kids, lost a parent and other stuff like that.

so much of where avatar 1/2 gets its punch is the relationships between people and the emotions those relationships evoke. like, as a dad, the scene where jake and neytiri are visiting neteyam's spirit in the spirit tree at the end was a gutshot, i was bawling. but i can definitely see how that same scene would be ho hum/whatever to a 30 year old me that hadn't had the experiences to provide the level of empathy required for that scene to hit.

one thing i'm pretty sure of is that these movies are just going to get better with time, so hopefully the people who didn't care for them initially will keep revisiting them until they finally land.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i went to see WoW for the third time last week, and one of the most surprising things was how much shorter it seemed than previous viewings.

the first time i saw it i definitely thought it was too long (second time was with my son so i was thinking about him), but now thinking back about that i realized that i was just too keyed up and, ultimately, exhausted from all the dramatic scenes to be able to just chill and enjoy the world.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
the man won't rest until he has all the top 3 grossing slots

https://twitter.com/JimCameron/status/1612896314349719553?s=20

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
all you'd have to do to make a good avatar game is make an fps around the history of the sandanistas with a different ending

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

If they don't have a quick time event where a big X appears on the screen and you press it and your character puts an arrow right through the glass into the pilot I'm gonna be a little disappointed.

i would buy a game that was just that over and over

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

KVeezy3 posted:

Any opinions on a 10 year old seeing this film without having seen the first one?

i took my 10 year old to the remaster and the new one and i'm not sure it made much of a difference having seen the first one, ymmv

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

i do not understand how ppl don't like this movie

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
way of water is higher on the list of highest grossing movies than they are on the most ignored poster list :thunk:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
this is a really good interview with cameron where he addresses a lot of the criticisms that have come up in the thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j3I9jQKCOk

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Madkal posted:

Humans have discovered the fountain of youth? You would think this would be a bigger deal than how it is treated as a throw away line in the movie.

you missed the part about the mother being slaughtered in front of her child huh?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Well, on that we certainly agree. The only difference is that you don't see it as a problem.

i assure you that whatever impediments avatar puts up to the advancement of your ideology, they are fly specks compared to your own posting.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Chewbaccanator posted:

I walk out halfway through James Cameron's Avatar 2: The Way of Water, shaking my head and wondering out loud:

"How could the Resources Development Administration's HR department allow them to clone one of their crazed contract killers? Surely they are aware of the implications this would have on payroll."

lol

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
watching the scene where kiri makes the anemone squeeze the sub drivers to death

this is what cameron thinks of workers...

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
cameron is such a nub, here he is just wracking up another $2 billion movie instead of making a film about recoms' 401ks

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Steve Yun posted:

Just got out of the theater

Movie was corny as hell but I had a good time because so much time and money was thrown at making everything look cool, and Cameron is, for all his faults, still an excellent action director

Enjoying the last few pages of debate about class consciousness

which parts were corny?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It clearly felt like Jake getting chased by the Thanator 2.0 including hiding in roots/bones that the predator tries to break through.

yeah, i noticed that too, i assumed it was intentional, but i didn't get why

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Arglebargle III posted:

I never really thought about this but it seems obvious that the RDA and the military don't have the capacity to transport large numbers of humans from Earth. As the elite class abandons Earth for the colonial project on Pandora, the vast majority of genocide victims will be humans living on an Earth in ecological collapse.

Edie Falco doesn't say as much but reading between the lines the colonial elites have written off most of Earth's population.

that was the first thing i thought of, lol

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

But the Navi manhood ceremony is an explicitly heterosexual marriage ritual:

is a bar mitzvah an explicitly heterosexual marriage ritual?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

teagone posted:

Watched this with my mom the other day, and she is never into sci-fi things. She LOVED this though :3: And goddamn, the movie looked beautiful even on a modest 4K set in HDR. Movie still slaps. Feel like I loved it even more this time tbh; watching with family has the effect of making it more enjoyable I think, at least for me. Really hope we get an HFR release.

i think you'd have a hard time finding a parent that doesn't like this movie and isn't raising a school shooter

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Horizon Burning posted:

this is actually what sky people believe

perhaps his insanity can be cured

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

king

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
can't stop. won't stop.

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1677039569651245056?s=20

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
cameron's killing it and the haters can't take it.

should be the thread title.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Neo Rasa posted:

This movie owned. I thought the three hour run time was absurd before watching but like, I'm not going to act like it flew by but it slowed down at points in the EXACT right ways. Like everything with the outcast whale owned I appreciated the movie not half-assing how all the water related stuff works for the Na'vi. I feel like a lesser movie would have just smash cut to them all having mastered the way of water after the first instance of them loving up once or whatever.

I'm already looking forward to the drama when Jake/etc. learn what Spider was responsible for in Avatar 3 lol

For real though I went in blind and was not expecting the entire whale aspect of the movie at all it ruled.

Movie looks fuckin' awesome too, like I was really impressed at some points.

hell yeah

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i took the whole toruk makto thing not as something that only a select few were capable of accomplishing, but as an act of such danger and desperation that only a few people had been driven to that need and succeeded

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ThinkTank posted:

It was also an unbearably horny movie and Sigourney Weaver eye loving a teenager young enough to be her grandson even if she was playing a teenaged alien made me very uncomfortable.

gonna chime in with this is a yp.

glad you liked the movie tho.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

henpod posted:

I liked the movie, did exactly what I expected and didn't feel long, even though it was. The only weird thing (i'm sure there are more), is that at the end Jakesully and family are assaulting the big boat with all the water people, and suddenly it's night time and all the other natives completely disappeared, leaving just the Sully family. Even a line of dialogue like 'we must go and protect our shores from other potential attackers' would have made sense, but nope, everyone just straight up disappeared.

i'm a huge fan of the movie and i agree you can drive a truck through this one. from an admittedly biased point of view, the story i've heard and cling to is cameron didn't want any more killing than was absolutely necessary to drive the plot and cut a lot of poo poo out to that end. dunno if it's true, don't really care, but that's an explanation if you care to take it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i came across this on twitter today and really enjoyed it, thought some of you might as well:
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2009/10/26/man-of-extremes-james-cameron-profile-avatar

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

quote:

The movie came out just before Christmas. Kenneth Turan, the film critic for the L.A. Times, gave “Titanic” a scathing review. “Just as the hubris of headstrong shipbuilders who insisted that the Titanic was unsinkable led to an unparalleled maritime disaster, so Cameron’s overweening pride has come unnecessarily close to capsizing this project,” he wrote, calling it “a hackneyed, completely derivative copy of old Hollywood romances.” Turan, who continued to write critically of the film even as it became a box-office phenomenon, was besieged with hate mail. One correspondent, a teen-age girl, sent him a letter to which she’d stapled her multiple “Titanic” ticket stubs. In March, Cameron delivered his own rebuttal, which was published in the arts section of the L.A. Times. It was incisive, and maybe more revealing than he knew. “Poor Kenny. He sees himself as the lone voice crying in the wilderness, righteous but not heeded by the blind and dumb ‘great unwashed’ around him. It must be a great burden to be cursed with such clear vision when your misguided flock bray past you, like lemmings, unmindful.” Even now, Cameron resents the media’s treatment of the film. “We were branded as the biggest idiots in movie history,” he told me. “They were just sharpening their knives so they could really take the film apart. Then they couldn’t. So, gently caress them. gently caress ’em all.”

loving king

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

oh god this owns.

quote:

Turan has forgotten, if he ever knew, the role of senior film critic for a large urban newspaper. When people spend their hard-earned money on a movie at the end of a long work week, all they ask is that their local critic steer them toward the good ones and help them avoid the turkeys. It’s not too much to ask. And it’s a fairly simple job, once you grasp it. You get to go to a movie first, before anyone else, and then come back and tell everybody about it. You even get to trash it if you didn’t like it. What you don’t get to do is grind on and on, month after month, after the audience has rendered its verdict in the most resounding of terms, telling everybody why the filmgoers are wrong and you are right.

Stringent fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

aw yisss