Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

We all know that with the exception of the MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021) there are no good laptops in production today. Let's take a look back at the good laptops that used to exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

IBM ThinkPad X40

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

12" PowerBook

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
my heart forever beats for the clamshell iBooks

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

my heart forever beats for the clamshell iBooks

Oh heck yeah, with the handle? I always liked the look but I never had or even used one.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

yeah I had one for college until I got a macbook. I don’t know how I got by with an 800x600 screen for so long

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

its the girl reading this, op

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

late-2011 15" macbook pro with ethernet port and matte display

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
tie between 12" g4 powerbook and thinkpad t420s

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i'm getting plenty of good top in my lap op

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

post hole digger posted:

late-2011 15" macbook pro with ethernet port and matte display

its this

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
2015 rmbp

-------8<-----------------

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

2015 rmbp

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I rather enjoyed my 2011 13" MBA which I used every day for 9 years and it suited my needs in almost every way.

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin
17" MacBook Pro

16" M1 MacBook Pro

IBM Butterfly ThinkPad

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Thinkpad T420s, OP. It was the last thinkpad that kept the IBM stylings. It also came with the last good windows OS (win7).

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Internaut! posted:

17" MacBook Pro

absolutely not

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin
it was perfect

solid billet aluminum

HD screen

fantastic keyboard

lots of ports and connectivity

great cooling

best sound of any laptop of its era

discrete GPU

TWO cores!

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

nvrgrls posted:

I rather enjoyed my 2011 13" MBA which I used every day for 9 years and it suited my needs in almost every way.

I just sold my 2013 13" MBA and it was extremely needs suiting as well as a couchputer / imessage device.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Did anyone use one of those ThinkPads that had the two sections of keyboard that interlocked and slid into place when you opened the hinge? I remember seeing them in PC magazine (lol).

I bet those were awesome for 1994 or whatever.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Thinkpad T420s, OP.

o7

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Jonny 290 posted:

2015 rmbp

mine literally is bent from overheating, so no

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Hed posted:

I just sold my 2013 13" MBA and it was extremely needs suiting as well as a couchputer / imessage device.

i still have one of these in a drawer somewhere. it was a pretty good laptop.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

nvrgrls posted:

12" PowerBook

this is the correct answer, op

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Hed posted:

Did anyone use one of those ThinkPads that had the two sections of keyboard that interlocked and slid into place when you opened the hinge? I remember seeing them in PC magazine (lol).

Butterfly keyboard. I thought those were so cool when I was like 12, I have no idea if they were good or bad, but since that was the "hey-day" of the Thinkpad, I will give it the benefit of the doubt.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

the latest Mac ones are all the best

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

Hed posted:

hell yea

thinkpad 701c , 486dx , 8 MB mem, like maybe a 256 MB drive, windows 3.11 for workgroups, 2 pcmcia slots, ran for like 3 hours on battery if you turned the brigtness down

it was a slow panel so you couldnt really play doom on it.

could run hella wordperfect tho

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

akadajet posted:

the latest Mac ones are all the best

lovely touchscreens instead of real keys, garbage glossy display finish, yeah no.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
they undid the touchbar and the screens are fine. quite nice actually.

mine shipped today!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

they undid the touchbar and the screens are fine. quite nice actually.

mine shipped today!

glossy screens are never fine and I thought they only undid the touchbar for the esc key?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

this is the correct answer, op

I want some nerdlinger to take the 12" powerbook and put the m1 pro guts in it and give it to me.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Still using my T420

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

rotor posted:

glossy screens are never fine and I thought they only undid the touchbar for the esc key?

I think on the 13" they still have the touch bar. As I said in the OP the current 14" MBP is good meaning real keyboard. but yeah the glossy screen is annoying

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I learned about the butterfly keyboard from the 'pos back in the day. My dream laptop when I was a lad was the Panasonic Toughbook.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

nvrgrls posted:

I want some nerdlinger to take the 12" powerbook and put the m1 pro guts in it and give it to me.

i dont have the heart to throw mine away

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

rotor posted:

glossy screens are never fine

This is correct.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

the touchbar is crap and ever since my mbp bent itself it's been getting increasingly unresponsive. objectively a bad laptop.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I did like having the touchar to trigger automations but not enough to actually want it, you know what I mean?

Like I have an automation of "I'm in the office now" and I now I have to use a dropdown or a keyboard shortcut to activate it, waaaah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I remember commercials for the butterfly keyboard