Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

nvrgrls posted:

12" PowerBook

it’s a tie between this and the tibook, depending on whether you prefer small footprint or thinness

Jonny 290 posted:

2015 rmbp

-------8<-----------------

this is the best intel one though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

this is the laptop that is currently on a plane to me. those look like real keys but idk maybe apple is pulling a fast one

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
we somehow came across a 2016 rmbp touchbar at work and BOY GOLLY is it a piece of loving poo poo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Raluek posted:

this is the best intel one though

it really isn't. the previous generation was better and so was even the macbookpro1,1

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

graph posted:

we somehow came across a 2016 rmbp touchbar at work and BOY GOLLY is it a piece of loving poo poo

see? you see?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

graph posted:

i literally put one of these in a milspec ABS Pelican case with foam padding on six sides at SFO airport, and when i landed, the R key had detached, wedged against the frame, and cracked the screen.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lol poo poo i just realized the terrible mbp i have that's currently u-shaped is a 2016, not 2015. covid brain fog

seriously it's loving garbage though. i haven't used it in so long i completely forgot about the godawful keyboard even though the stupid rear end touch bar is supposedly a part of it

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Beeftweeter posted:

lol poo poo i just realized the terrible mbp i have that's currently u-shaped is a 2016, not 2015. covid brain fog

seriously it's loving garbage though. i haven't used it in so long i completely forgot about the godawful keyboard even though the stupid rear end touch bar is supposedly a part of it

ahh, ok, your position makes sense to me now

the 2015 was the last of the pre-touchbar, pre-USBC-everything, but was the first to have a super fast NVME drive. best intel machine

posted from my 12" PBG4. did you know it's the year of Tiger?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

lenovo thinkpad x230

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

graph posted:

literally my work machine for the past 8 months
also the first mac i've ever worked on for a prolonged period

so basically im hoping when i get my m1 mbp i'll stop pining for a dell fuckin latitude instead

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

chomebooks

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
thinkpad 600
thinkpad t20, t30

all very good

t40 is when they went to a really thin chassis with the wrist rest and if you carried it around by the wrist rest front of the chassis with the lid open youd eventually flex the video card into a rf shield and short the whole drat thing out internally.

i guess they got ok again around t60 time, but then they started doing chicklet keys and dumb clonky touchpads and i went macbook air instead and now im all mac all the time baybeeeee

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
macbook air w/ m1 processor, op

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

macbook air w/ m1 processor, op

my ship date got moved up 2 days i should get it on monday

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

my ship date got moved up 2 days i should get it on monday

enjoy your new ipad

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it'll be a pretty good thing for browsing SA and hanging out on yosslack, which is all i need it for

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

the second gen macbook air deserves a mention for forcing pc manufacturers out of the stoneage (or i guess forcing intel to make ultrabook reference designs because all the oems are a bunch of idiots)

i mean the first gen mba was a hell of a design it was just way too loving expensive

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

m1 mba

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Beeftweeter posted:

it really isn't. the previous generation was better and so was even the macbookpro1,1

having had a rev a (week 13!) mbp, it was a real heap until three defect repairs. after that it was a champ

i loved the slim pb design, and the webcam went from novelty to daily use in a few years. i still wish video chats used the ichat semi-circle layout and positioned everyone so they 'looked' in the direct of their neighbor naturally

SO DEMANDING posted:

i mean the first gen mba was a hell of a design it was just way too loving expensive

classic lol at the first gen coming with an eject key (supposedly for the external disc drive???)

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
i still have my 2012 mbpr and if I just replaced the batteries I might still be using it now.

I loved my ibm t40 but as someone else mentioned it did have durability issues. goddamn I miss 4:3 displays

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
the goattop was the asus eee 1005ha

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I'm posting from a Dell XPS 15 9560 (2017) this evening.

Pros: screen is great (matte), touchpad is nice and roomy (although obviously garbage compared to mac touchpad), and I just replaced the battery so even though this is a 5 year old laptop I'm getting my 12 hours of posting before a charge.

Cons: has the worst webcam placement of all time. doesn't use the standard dell ac adapter (although you can charge it with usbc so who cares)

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
thinkpad t60

13” mbpr 2013

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
turdlog 14” long and 2” wide

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I think it's weird that nobody is saying Toshiba. Didn't they have the reputation of having good laptops back in the day (like 15 years ago)

What happened, Tosh?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Her naaaaame is Toshiiiiiiba she's a black belt in karate yah! yah!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

nvrgrls posted:

I think it's weird that nobody is saying Toshiba. Didn't they have the reputation of having good laptops back in the day (like 15 years ago)

What happened, Tosh?

mmm i had an old toshiba with the wacom tablet and the spinny hinge. it was cool. parallel ide drive though so it quickly became eol'd

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
2015 retina macbook pro is the objectively correct answer

the 2021 14" m1pro mbp is coming on strong though

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ive got over 1,000 cycles on my 2015 rmbp battery and it hasn't bulged and still runs for poo poo, like 7 hours of yosposting. Cannot complain.

new MBA is gonna be here monday tho.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

ive got over 1,000 cycles on my 2015 rmbp battery and it hasn't bulged and still runs for poo poo, like 7 hours of yosposting. Cannot complain.

my mba 2013 is a desk computer/light server now and the (second) battery capacity is 64%. no bulge, so when the mini m2 rolls around maybe i'll pop a third battery in

aside from being stuck on catalina, it's a champ for basic use. 9 years and counting

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Jonny 290 posted:

hmm, apparently my powerbook doesnt keep track of that, because it thinks it only has 15 cycles despite having an apparently-OEM battery. might have been replaced before i got it, but it appears to be a real apple battery. i do get at least a couple hours on it, so its in p good shape, considering

e:

Raluek fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 14, 2022

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

IBM RS/6000 Type 7007 or gtfo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FMguru posted:

2015 retina macbook pro is the objectively correct answer

somehow I got on this train at the only right moment which was this one

it still goes very nicely. idk what I’ll do when it dies because the replacement is spensy 🥺

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

it'll be a pretty good thing for browsing SA and hanging out on yosslack, which is all i need it for

it is v needs suiting for this. best literal shitposting station I've ever owned

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

nvrgrls posted:

What happened, Tosh?

oh man i forgot about the libretto

i had a pentium at some point in the early 90s, it was loving awesome

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I have a late 90s pentium ii based toshiba laying around that still works perfectly. it rules

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

according to wikipedia i had a 50ct, this is a pretty similar 70ct:

210×115×34 mm, 850g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Raluek posted:

hmm, apparently my powerbook doesnt keep track of that, because it thinks it only has 15 cycles despite having an apparently-OEM battery. might have been replaced before i got it, but it appears to be a real apple battery. i do get at least a couple hours on it, so its in p good shape, considering

e:

modern firefox still runs on 10.4? :psypop: