Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

rotor posted:

someone tried to describe a chromebook as "a cloud-native laptop" and I immediately hated them.

Chromebook is great for the school-issued computers my kids got because they can't do poo poo on it other than go to their stupid websites to see how stupid their grades are and I guess email their teacher. I borrowed a brand new chromebook just for hahas and I had to literally install linux on top of chromeos to get a command line. What's up with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Cloud-native snipe

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

nvrgrls posted:

Chromebook is great for the school-issued computers my kids got because they can't do poo poo on it other than go to their stupid websites to see how stupid their grades are and I guess email their teacher. I borrowed a brand new chromebook just for hahas and I had to literally install linux on top of chromeos to get a command line. What's up with that?

oh definitely.

I saw a really good article about how to configure a chromebook as a good dev/writing environment for people who were crossing dubious international borders and wanted a laptop they could easily wipe/throw away & reconfigure while travelling without having to worry about tossing a 2k mackbook or whatever.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Yeah my kid has a Chromebook and it's fun to be able to nuke Roblox or w/e from my phone when it's time for her to get off of it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I had one of these. It wasn't all that great, the screen was pretty crappy, and it was awkward to use. Also the pointing stick mouse wasn't as good as Thinkpads used to be.

yeah i agree, still think the form factor is awesome and it's basically what i want in a laptop today. i just want apple to make it, so, lol

in re chomes we bought a chromebox for my inlaws and its been very successful since they cant break it

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
the ThinkPad Power Series 850 had a slick as hell design. i'd say in general PowerPC NT machines were a rly fascinating niche

Only registered members can see post attachments!

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

rotor posted:

my wife had one of those tiny little sony picturebooks with the transmeta chips, it was cute as hell

seeing windows me with that netbook display resolution is legitimately jarring to me

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you can have BOTH desktop icons on the screen at once!

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
if you aren't using an x86 laptop ityool 2022, your actual requirements for compute is a phone.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
whatever

https://i.imgur.com/veYsVwt.mp4

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

rotor posted:

someone tried to describe a chromebook as "a cloud-native laptop" and I immediately hated them.

oy. i bought one to fiddle with and its fine for browsing and i suppose schoolwork, but extolling it like an evolutionary leap is uh…

i tossed linux on it and it ran well, considering the meager hardware. the trackpad on the samsung (at least my model) has a good acceleration curve in chrome os and physical feel, despite being plastic. better than a cheap laptop has any right to be

this is disgustingly fast and i'm both happy for you and mildly peeved my work laptop had to be replaced with a 2019

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

the best laptop is the one you have with you

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

pretty impressive, but turn off the welcome screen please

my 4790k takes a full second longer than that :\

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
imagine benchmarking productivity software by it's load time instead of the time it takes to produce output.

put that right up there in importance with 'sexy modern ui'.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Best laptop is whatever STEBE (PBUH) and his successor TIMB delivers to us.

Currently the MacBook Air M1

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

if you aren't using an x86 laptop ityool 2022, your actual requirements for compute is a phone.

scrub detected

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

rack them.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

imagine benchmarking productivity software by it's load time instead of the time it takes to produce output.

put that right up there in importance with 'sexy modern ui'.

eat my poo poo and hair its buttery smooth

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

wrong. What i need most from a compute device is pixels, and lots of em. idgaf about the cpu, anything made in the last 10 years is fine. Just give me vast amounts of display area.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

eat my poo poo and hair its buttery smooth

i dont know about his poo poo, but i can vouch for his hair - its silky and shiny with lots of body, just so glamorous.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

rotor posted:

i dont know about his poo poo, but i can vouch for his hair - its silky and shiny with lots of body, just so glamorous.

hell yeah its my lucky day!

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
my chromebook is honestly a piece of poo poo but to its credit it has served 5 years without any actual issues and was only like 200 bux new. it still works fine and I’m only moving on because they’re eol’ing it and it is a model that is uniquely lovely at running linux on the bare metal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

rotor posted:

wrong. What i need most from a compute device is pixels, and lots of em. idgaf about the cpu, anything made in the last 10 years is fine. Just give me vast amounts of display area.

Agreed on CPU and I'd even put lots of pixels in my "nice to have" list. Hardware-wise I need a keyboard that isn't a POS, a touchpad that isn't a POS, and that's about it. Sadly something like that costs two thousand dollars for some reason.

Of course the OS can't be a pos but thankfully Macs come with macOS and you can put Debian on everything else.