Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Grey Fox posted:

This is a good video explainer of the math that goes into calculating damage across each class...there's a *lot* going on that I hadn't considered until now, especially the inherent debuffs for some classes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDp1utAeGaE

Another interesting thing from this is: Arthur is apparently flat busted right now; his melee-damage buff aura is currently applying to ranged damage as well. Which explains why I always get oneshotted out of my possessions in games where he's on the other team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Thats a good video, and explains a lot of stuff I thought was weird. A 50% damage debuff to attacking with possessed survivors is huge and goes a long way to explaining why it feels so weak to possess survivors!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Counterpoint, always be possessing hunters with a blunderbuss. I was getting depossessed in a single hit by a Kelly one match, until I took the initiative and started two-shotting survivors with her and Ed. Both of them had blunderbusses.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Oh yeah, I had a match last night where we lucked out and found all the map pieces and about 15 pink f inside of like 4 minutes (but had no other items to speak of, so we had no healing), and when we went to the map that also was like twenty feet away (never had a match go that quick through map pieces and reaching an objective), the demon's first real action was to scare and possess Kelly and she instantly dropped the rest of the team from full health.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Kelly's busted too I think?

https://www.reddit.com/r/EvilDeadTheGame/comments/uvlxu5/kelly_is_busted_on_a_similar_lvl_to_aod_ash/

Allegedly her level 25 stacking combat buff is basically always on, and is affecting her ranged damage instead of just melee. So she basically has a 60% damage boost at all times especially if you've made it to objective phase. Now imagine that plus Arthur's busted aura also buffing ranged damage! At least she can be turned on her team if their fear isn't being managed well.

e: She does bleed damage on top of all of that? Is that calculated based on her buffed damage numbers?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Been wondering why I've been seeing so many lvl 25 solo Kellys lately.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

The piling up a bunch of cars on an objective strategy I've been seeing is kinda obnoxious.

It's nice when they forget that someone in a car doesn't count as on the objective and it resets, but you kinda have to sit there and take it since the survivors can just knock out out of it for zero effort if you try and get rid of it. Nevermind, if they've piled up four of them.

E: Ugh, and then I get bumped into one of those inaccessible rooms after a possession.

Unhappy Meal fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 8, 2022

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

What the hell kind of unobtanium is the Necronomicon made of, it feels like if the game ever gets that far I can waste 100% of my time punching the book and it won't die before the clock runs out. Which is strange since it definitely isn't that hard to kill in the tutorial

Yes I know it's much easier to just kill the survivors but still

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

DeathChicken posted:

What the hell kind of unobtanium is the Necronomicon made of, it feels like if the game ever gets that far I can waste 100% of my time punching the book and it won't die before the clock runs out. Which is strange since it definitely isn't that hard to kill in the tutorial

I just had my first Necronomicon-breaking win last night, as a Warlord with fully upgraded Elite, spamming heavy attacks. It was a slog.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

DeathChicken posted:

Had my first book win today because the survivors were too clever for their own good with baiting and distractions which resulted in them not guarding the book. It took me as the Boss and two flute buffed Elites about 35 seconds of constant attacks to take it out? Which yeah, given that you have 2 minutes total, doesn't feel super achievable under ordinary circumstances

JUNGLE BOY fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 9, 2022

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Had a match last night where I thought we were going to win, 1 person alive, book almost dead but a sliver of health, and the clock ticked down. Somewhere between 1 second and 0 the warlord was able to deliver the killing blow on the book and we lost. Brutal.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

A possessed Ed with a crossbow is a nightmare too

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Had my first book win today because the survivors were too clever for their own good with baiting and distractions which resulted in them not guarding the book. It took me as the Boss and two flute buffed Elites about 35 seconds of constant attacks to take it out? Which yeah, given that you have 2 minutes total, doesn't feel super achievable under ordinary circumstances

Yeah you probably won't get that much time uninterrupted unless 2 or 3 of the survivors are dead and if that is the case you're usually better off just killing the ones that are left unless it's like a dodgy hunter or a tanky af warrior left over. Which is kinda wierd that the game positions destroying the book as the primary objective at that point and not just finishing off the by now hopefully resource and health drained survivors.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

The Shame Boy posted:

Yeah you probably won't get that much time uninterrupted unless 2 or 3 of the survivors are dead and if that is the case you're usually better off just killing the ones that are left unless it's like a dodgy hunter or a tanky af warrior left over. Which is kinda wierd that the game positions destroying the book as the primary objective at that point and not just finishing off the by now hopefully resource and health drained survivors.

Only book win I've had was with two survivors down as the book came out. W-ash was too good at running so I just beat the book down with Henrietta and they didn't have enough DPS to stop me. The book can't get into a car and drive away from you or spend 2 minutes execution chaining basic mobs.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah more than anything the presentation just feels wrong, because destroying the book is absolutely a backup. During book phase you're here to kill everyone now that they can no longer pick anyone up.

Honestly i think it's perfectly fair, because i think if you give the book too little health it's extremely difficult for the survivors to win. But again, the presentation is just backwards.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Is there a Discord for this game or something? Nobody seems to be sharing their usernames and I'm looking for people to play with.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Arzaac posted:

Yeah more than anything the presentation just feels wrong, because destroying the book is absolutely a backup. During book phase you're here to kill everyone now that they can no longer pick anyone up.

Honestly i think it's perfectly fair, because i think if you give the book too little health it's extremely difficult for the survivors to win. But again, the presentation is just backwards.

Would it be more clear if Linda said something like:
"Quickly! Kill them all! Destroy the book if you must but don't let them finish their spell!"

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Arzaac posted:

I think you could leave the book health as is if there was a debuff that makes the book take more damage if no one is standing in a reasonably sized objective circle around it. If I'm getting 20 seconds of interrupted damage from multiple units on the book because no one is standing on it, that should be enough to win.

ZionestLord
Jan 9, 2010
just got this, in as "Fenir"

lets play

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Is there a Discord for this game or something? Nobody seems to be sharing their usernames and I'm looking for people to play with.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Is it bad that I never play Survivor?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Did you know: some set pieces have unique traps? Like some of the cabins have a deer head trap in them.

I learned this tonight because I had a survivor group that just insisted on cutting through this one cabin between the last map piece and the dagger, even though I trapped it all to poo poo and downed 3/4 of them (then let them get revived because it felt too cheap). And then did it twice more. I was fully capped before they even started a blue objective.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

There's a general non-goon discord for it here: https://discord.com/invite/evildeadthegame
Usually has a ton of people in voicechat playing.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Thank you friends.

And boy is it fun to have someone screaming “Why are you shooting?! This is why we need experienced plaaaaaayyyyeeeerrrrss!!” two weeks after the game’s release.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Holy poo poo, I just had a match where the Necromancer found us at the first objective and with one regular unit and another he possessed just deleted us. Our Warrior did no damage, my headshots did very little and he pinned me against a wall. I didn't even see what happened to anyone else. It was over in 4 minutes.

edit: Very next game, same strat. first objective in Dead End, we went straight there and it was already trapped to hell by the time we arrived and, dooter in random buildings, possessed elite took out 3 of us with thrown spear.

Next game, the demon just disconnected because they couldn't find us in the first five minutes. That's three games in a row where we didn't get to actually play. It's almost enough to make me want to play against the AI just so the game can be played.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 11, 2022

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I actually get Book wins semi-often. If you're in a situation where there's like a Cheryl and a Henry left alive and you just can't poo poo out the damage fast enough on the players and time is getting away, it's actually really easy to beat the poo poo out of the book with gigantic damage with like a Warlord Elite doing heavy attacks or something. A fully upgraded Henrietta with tree points in Health and Balance bar upgrades? Forget it, they won't be able to do enough damage to kill you with their non-Hunter characters as you turn off your brain and just mash the heavy attack button on the book. They can't even stun her once they break through her Balance bar when she's fully upgraded, so a lot of the time it's the easiest win you can go for instead of chasing them around. Hunters with their massive stacked damage buffs headshotting bosses is what deletes them, if there are no Hunters in the comp or you managed to kill them, there's little most teams can do.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jun 12, 2022

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

marshmallow creep posted:

Holy poo poo, I just had a match where the Necromancer found us at the first objective and with one regular unit and another he possessed just deleted us. Our Warrior did no damage, my headshots did very little and he pinned me against a wall. I didn't even see what happened to anyone else. It was over in 4 minutes.

edit: Very next game, same strat. first objective in Dead End, we went straight there and it was already trapped to hell by the time we arrived and, dooter in random buildings, possessed elite took out 3 of us with thrown spear.

Next game, the demon just disconnected because they couldn't find us in the first five minutes. That's three games in a row where we didn't get to actually play. It's almost enough to make me want to play against the AI just so the game can be played.

This is a big problem and makes playing non-premades against players Demons a nightmare. There is counterplay but that involves sticking together as a group to the point of being incredibly anal - you go into the same building as a group and don't leave until everyone agrees to, for example. Whenever ANYTHING gets possessed it should immediately be targeted by every single player with heavy attacks so its Balance bar gets deleted so fast it has only room for one attack, if even that. The support players are babysat non-stop and are the ones the rest of the team follow so that the chances of your healer/shieldbot getting snuffed while trailing behind are basically zero. If a Demon is starved of energy by having his every possession instakilled he stays weak and has to wait for longer to do anything, and this gives a Cheryl enough time to have the cooldown on her heal tick down so no one has to use resources.

Since time-out wins in the game are nearly non-existent, there's no real reason to split up to get Pages faster since it makes you obscenely vulnerable and the only benefit is that a good Hunter can MAYBE waste a dumb Demon's time but even then, the only reason players split up is due to greed and wanting items for themselves. It's been weeks since release, the meta has been hashed out and the underlying stats revealed but you STILL see level 25 Amandas picking up Legendary melee weapons or everyone hoarding Shemps and refusing to give them to the Cheryl who could make a full inventory of 8 last basically the whole game.

That's really the big issue imo, Demons can gently caress up entire games with dumb mistakes too, sure, but generally even mediocre possession mechanics can end up not mattering if you just put constant pressure on players and target the dumbass wandering off by himself who is free XP farm and a potential XP bomb if they're downed and bleed out.

The amount of mistakes most Survivor teams can make and still win are very low, whereas a Demon player can be a drunk gently caress and still win if an idiot Kelly refuses to respond to the Fear mechanics, gets terrified, and gibs an entire team in an instant. I've seen garbage rear end Puppeteer players suddenly win after basically doing nothing the whole game that way.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jun 12, 2022

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Scotty mains smh https://twitter.com/FlyboyVideo/status/1537057321234358272

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Okay, what am I doing wrong? I'm still trying to get through the first mission. I'm finding and hoarding Shemps and amulets and ammo, I've gotten better at combos and dodging. And then an elite comes along and it seems like I do next to no damage while they just destroy me. And apparently this is the only way to unlock any other characters.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Okay, what am I doing wrong? I'm still trying to get through the first mission. I'm finding and hoarding Shemps and amulets and ammo, I've gotten better at combos and dodging. And then an elite comes along and it seems like I do next to no damage while they just destroy me. And apparently this is the only way to unlock any other characters.

While you can go toe to toe with elites if you are careful it's generally a good idea to stick to ranged combat and mag dump into their head for bonus damage. They'll go down eventually.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I do remember feeling like my first few hits on elites were like a blip, but a dodge or two and some headshots will drain their health good. The mission will teach you how to move around groups and dodge/manage your stamina.

I got stuck a few times, took me a few weeks to unlock everyone.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I keep forgetting I have a gun. Especially because I've literally been yelled at online for using it. Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

I just won my first game as a deadite, thought I never would! The amount of points I was getting in games (even bad losses) was letting me pour into all the different versions of Ash so I can try those out without being a complete hindrance to the team.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

What did I do to you that you gotta come at me like this?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bought the game on a whim from the Epic summer sale because I love Evil Dead, and sure enough it does seem like a blast. Played some of the missions and jumped into a game as survivors with an old DBD friend of mine. First game, we got what he swears was a cheater.

It was the Puppeteer, and there was a point very early on in the game where he was just spamming that huge lighting AOE on us non-stop for ages. I'm talking maybe a second or two between blasts. Does that sound like something a Puppeteer can do if they have a lot of demonic power, or is there a longer cooldown?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Bought the game on a whim from the Epic summer sale because I love Evil Dead, and sure enough it does seem like a blast. Played some of the missions and jumped into a game as survivors with an old DBD friend of mine. First game, we got what he swears was a cheater.

It was the Puppeteer, and there was a point very early on in the game where he was just spamming that huge lighting AOE on us non-stop for ages. I'm talking maybe a second or two between blasts. Does that sound like something a Puppeteer can do if they have a lot of demonic power, or is there a longer cooldown?

Yes, that's their elite. They can split in two (you maintain control of one), and those that split can also split in two so on and so forth. If you don't deal with it, or run away there will be a ton of lighting frying your butt.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Did they ever fix animation cancelling for the elites thunderstruck ability? I know it was on there bugfix list. By starting the ability and then dashing at the right time the lighting would still go off, but the ability would not be put on cooldown, thus allowing it to be spammed constantly.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Why are survivors allowed to attempt to trigger seizures by turning their lights on and off repeatedly whilst being attacked? I had my first hardcore battle with one of these bastards today and it made me want to uninstall.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Playing this game the other night, I was kind of wondering, it's weird that they changed Shemps from a beer to a soda, right? The voice over lines clearly imply its still a beer but the fact that it's censored is kind of hilarious.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

marshmallow creep posted:

What did I do to you that you gotta come at me like this?
I swear I'm in a completely different world than my friends who play survivor because they're always telling me about god-tier Scotty players doing incredible things, and meanwhile I'm playing Demon when they're not on and almost every single Scotty either shits the bed from overestimating his ability to absorb damage early or just outright disconnects when they can't find a weapon one minute into the match

RobbZombae posted:

Why are survivors allowed to attempt to trigger seizures by turning their lights on and off repeatedly whilst being attacked? I had my first hardcore battle with one of these bastards today and it made me want to uninstall.
yeah this game needs proper emotes because flashlights and honking are the primary ways to taunt the Demon, and you make a good point about flashing lights not being ideal for communication https://twitter.com/LmfaoWith/status/1536465130892013570 we could have this in a perfect world

I dont know posted:

Did they ever fix animation cancelling for the elites thunderstruck ability? I know it was on there bugfix list. By starting the ability and then dashing at the right time the lighting would still go off, but the ability would not be put on cooldown, thus allowing it to be spammed constantly.
yeah it's fixed, it was like priority one

Grey Fox fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

CuddleCryptid posted:

Playing this game the other night, I was kind of wondering, it's weird that they changed Shemps from a beer to a soda, right? The voice over lines clearly imply its still a beer but the fact that it's censored is kind of hilarious.

Is there some weirdo rule that alcohol can’t be used as a power-up? Even in a game definitely not for kids?