Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Game is already rated M by the ESRB, maybe it's an issue in foreign markets? I think Austrailia in particular doesn't like video game drugs providing any benefits, but I'm basing that on Fallout 3 having issues with drug use back in...2008 https://www.reuters.com/article/us-videogames-fallout/australia-bans-video-game-fallout-3-over-drug-use-idUSSP32920620080711

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Also do any of the character drop F-bombs in the game? I know there's at least a "poo poo" or two, but it's weird that for all the other gore and swearing they're not allowed to call it Pink gently caress.

I just want a power up called "Pink gently caress", is that too much to ask?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Grey Fox posted:

yeah this game needs proper emotes because flashlights and honking are the primary ways to taunt the Demon, and you make a good point about flashing lights not being ideal for communication https://twitter.com/LmfaoWith/status/1536465130892013570 we could have this in a perfect world
If playing Dead by Daylight taught me anything, it's that if you give survivors flashlights they're incapable of not trying to cause seizures 24/7

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

King Vidiot posted:

Also do any of the character drop F-bombs in the game? I know there's at least a "poo poo" or two, but it's weird that for all the other gore and swearing they're not allowed to call it Pink gently caress.

I just want a power up called "Pink gently caress", is that too much to ask?

I want my favorite Kelly line in the game, but it definitely crosses that line... As do many Kelly lines on the show. :allears:

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal
Small balance change update dropped today. Changes seem to be all server side, so no patch download, changes are already live.
Highlights are hunter stamina nerfs, warrior ash tankiness nerfs, and some buffs to demon units survivability/balance bar.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
I’m new and keep having matches with people that are like level 78 and poo poo. So as demon I lose a lot. Whatever. I stopped playing necro and started winning as warlord. One question though, what the gently caress does warlord “q” do? I assume it’s a summon buff, but nothing in the game tells me, I don’t think anyways.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I’m new and keep having matches with people that are like level 78 and poo poo. So as demon I lose a lot. Whatever. I stopped playing necro and started winning as warlord. One question though, what the gently caress does warlord “q” do? I assume it’s a summon buff, but nothing in the game tells me, I don’t think anyways.

Warlord Q buffs AI controlled minions around you. It says on Warlord's passive tree what it's supposed to do. IIRC it buffs attack damage and attack rate. When you hit max level Warlord it prevents mobs within the aura from being stunned which is a big deal since that's how survivors avoid taking damage from them if they aren't killing them in one shot. Keep in mind the aura doesn't buff the unit you are possessing, just everything around it in the red aura.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
Thanks, I see now, that was really frustrating…My hot take after playing this game for like 6 hours is that I think rather than trying to buff/debuff stats, a big balancing change they should get to is making the ai at least light attack more frequently. Seems like they just stand about.

SnoochtotheNooch fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 20, 2022

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

On one hand it IS fitting that the Deadites spend alot of timing taunting instead of just killing the humans. But in a gameplay standpoint having the ai minions only attack 1 at a time is really annoying and it's frustrating being in a situation where you have a single survivor surrounded and you're the only one attacking at all. Especially in the warlords case you're looking for that AI to puke so you can get those free hits in.

You're gonna struggle for a while as Demon until you get up to around 20-25 where it'll get slightly
easier since you'll have access to health and balance bar upgrades for your dudes which make a HUGE difference. Once you get max level everything will flip around and you will massacre most teams without even having to try very hard so you do have that to look forward too!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'm of the opinion that low level demons are too easy to beat and high level demons are too hard. I'm glad starting demons are getting some buffs, but right now my teams are getting stomped by max level demons rushing us with high damage basic unit possessions and its killed interest in the game for all my friends.

It doesn't help that whatever bug they had when the game first game out that meant I had to reinstall Epic every time I wanted to play the game is back with this latest patch. That has to be the weirdest, most super specific bug that only applies to me somehow, but it went away in the patch before this one and is back now.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
There's a patch out today, and they've added Castle Kandar from Army of Darkness!

There's patch notes:

https://support.saber.games/hc/en-us/articles/7578151070225

Still no checkpoints for the single player missions, sigh.

It's only been 2 months since the game released, so this is honestly pretty good for DLC, but the player count cratered so...I dunno. I hope they can right the ship on this one because it was fun before the psycho no-lifers took over.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I still play a few matches every few night, got Amanda and Leader Ash to 25 with a bunch of spirit points to spend but can't decide who I want to play now. Might go with Arthur, Scotty or Cheryl.

Looking forward to the castle map, hopefully the patch fixes a bunch of the bugs too.

Personally I like the lack of checkpoints in solo, I didn't at first but grinding out for Arthur felt really rewarding when I did finally get him.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Played a bunch of matches last night with friends, and a lot of the balance changes feel pretty good. Matchmaking as a demon was still instantaneous, and queuing with a three-person team took about 45 seconds longer than a couple weeks ago.

Did run into some bug and/or weird lag effects while playing as demon, like invisible basic units and one match where I was moving at half speed regardless of indoor/outdoor

New explosive crossbow is fun, great for splashing 3-unit summons immediately

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I just got the game two weeks ago, I'll play about 3 rounds on Saturdays and Sundays, and the occasional round here or there during the week.

I really suck at this game, but I enjoy it so far.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Glad to see there were some demon nerfs, I was winning too consistently at max level.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Somberbrero posted:

Glad to see there were some demon nerfs, I was winning too consistently at max level.

On the other hand, I have won one game as Demon post-patch out of about thirty.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Somberbrero posted:

On the other hand, I have won one game as Demon post-patch out of about thirty.

The games I have won as demon post patch have all been games where the survivors have been either new, loving around, or I make a rare early discovery. I understand completely why they had to nerf the demons early game, getting attacked by possessed basics 90 seconds into a match sucks and isn't fun for anyone. However, if I find I can't get enough damage output to overcome their stockpiles of amulets, ammo, and Shemps so long as they have a competent support and no lone wolf feeders. Previous balance was too reliant on the demon finding the group early, and even if they didn't win outright, using continuous pressure to drain supplies and disrupt looting. Without it, I don't know what the demon is supposed to do.

The other trend I have started to see is teams of 3 warriors with either Support Ash or Cheryl. The warriors just face tank the demon using the mix of damage mitigation, excellent sustain, and almost instant balance bar shattering melee.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I dont know posted:

The games I have won as demon post patch have all been games where the survivors have been either new, loving around, or I make a rare early discovery. I understand completely why they had to nerf the demons early game, getting attacked by possessed basics 90 seconds into a match sucks and isn't fun for anyone. However, if I find I can't get enough damage output to overcome their stockpiles of amulets, ammo, and Shemps so long as they have a competent support and no lone wolf feeders. Previous balance was too reliant on the demon finding the group early, and even if they didn't win outright, using continuous pressure to drain supplies and disrupt looting. Without it, I don't know what the demon is supposed to do.

The other trend I have started to see is teams of 3 warriors with either Support Ash or Cheryl. The warriors just face tank the demon using the mix of damage mitigation, excellent sustain, and almost instant balance bar shattering melee.

I've run across groups that park cars on top of the Necronomicon making it impossible to attack. One of these days I'll manage to make all four survivors scared in one go with that tactic though.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Iron Crowned posted:

I've run across groups that park cars on top of the Necronomicon making it impossible to attack. One of these days I'll manage to make all four survivors scared in one go with that tactic though.

My biggest beef with this game is that there's no achievement for scaring an entire team at once.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

After watching Evil Dead 2 with some friends it got me thinking about this game again. I got it on release but refunded it after some frustrating games.

1. How has the playerbase been holding up? I know it has crossplay so that most likely helps but I'm curious if it's still active or you have to wait a decent amount of time to find matches

2. Are there any tips or tricks or guides on how to play Demon? The match that made me throw in the towel I felt entirely impotent since the survivors were coordinated, and were just clowning on me the whole time, and things like your minions being vulnerable even while in their "being summoned" animation kinda sucked. Obviously alot of this was on me being new but I really had no clue on how I was supposed to impede the survivors in any meaningful way since they mostly all stuck together all match so my zombies would die instantly. I saved the scoreboard cuz of crazy the score disparity between the survivors was, and that the top guy would just wipe the floor with me anytime I tried anything. he'd just obliterate my elites before they could finish their summon animation each time. How do you counter that?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I've been able to pull similar numbers with Ed when I got a legendary rifle early in the match. In the hands of a good hunter who knows how to get headshots reliably, that's still good but not impossible. They nerfed headshots and most ranged weapons in the latest patch but they're still good!

As for countering it? I'm not sure. Hunters can dodge for days if they spec for stamina, so you can't be sure that trying to focus them down will actually land. Draining their resources will force them to go melee and they're categorically the worst at that, and if you can scare them their fear threshold is usually pretty low and they are a beast when you can possess them. But most hunters I've played with as a survivor aren't nearly that good, and playing with randos today there are still plenty of people getting split up that you can pummel on for resource drain, fear and demon levels. Also if they stuck to that Annie, Annie's buffs made that hunter much more dangerous and the answer may have been to try splitting them up.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jul 22, 2022

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

This game sure does some hosed up stuff on last-gen systems lol

https://youtu.be/zaNTdzMoilI

https://youtu.be/LQx24K4Zglw

It's like ed is in a techno music video

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Playing low level demon just sucks. Any games you don't lose are a happy accident.

You need to be interacting with the survivors ASAP. The more buttons you can press around a survivor, the better you will do.

The AI sucks. You cannot win through traps alone, you have to be actively possessing units as effectively as possible. Traps are essentially a cheap unit spawn for you to hop into, or a tar-pit to slow them down while you get where you need to. Don't make the mistake of setting a bunch of traps early. Until you find the survivors, only stop to trap chests you can immediately see.

I don't know all the spawns on all the maps are but I can guess based on where the map and dagger are located. If it's Kandar i just zoom to the castle. Once I find them, ideally before two map pieces, I try to anticipate their trajectory and trap that path. You don't want to make the mistake of trapping behind them.

There are other ways to play it but I will generally take the basic summon at 3 and will try to hit them with possessed units early. With possession, don't forget to dodge if your unit can. Otherwise just pile onto anyone squishy and bully them until they fall over. If you're trying to hit someone and they're schooling you, just move on.

Ideally you have a boss summon before the map is assembled. Don't just rush to the objectives once the map is assembled, you want to harass them as much as possible along the way more than you really want to set up I feel. Try to make them hoof it by jacking cars when possible.

Your boss summons are going to get run over a lot of the time. That's okay. Just try to keep it up as long as you can and be smart about summoning. Try to come in from behind them if you can. Your goal during the first objective is just to get someone down. If you do, make it your goal to keep them there. They'll probably survive but their teammates should take damage in the process.

Dark Ones is hopefully where your hard work pays off. This is where survivors like to split up the most, and you love when they do that. Prioritize anyone focusing the objective and just try to drop someone before the book. If you've played your cards right, you should be able to snag a death or two worst case scenario. The Dark Ones do serious damage, possession + running someone into them can be enough to secure a kill sometimes.

I find that I only hit the book to draw survivors in. YMMV.

I want to stress that I'm just okay at this game. I have maxed all demons and win about half my games now.

Somberbrero fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 5, 2022

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
:lol:

I just had a match where as Scotty (level 8), I got lost in Castle Kandar on the way to the Dark Ones. Everyone else died, I managed to resurrect them, finish the Necronomicon, and ended up being the last one standing.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Hell yeah looks like we'll be getting Mia from the remake in the future

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
hells yeah

i hope she shouts "feast on this, motherfucker" for her finishers

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The new patch is out. Demons - specifically Puppetmaster - are probably a little too good now. Plaguebringer shits on all-Warrior squads. The dupe cheat still exists but only for amulets apparently but a minimum inventory level is required. Feeling bad for people who bought the Season Pass...it's very underwhelming.

Game still good!

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 12, 2022

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The new patch is out. Demons - specifically Puppetmaster - are probably a little too good now. Plaguebringer shits on all-Warrior squads. The dupe cheat still exists but only for amulets apparently. Feeling bad for people who bought the Season Pass...it's very underwhelming.

Game still good!

I bought the season pass for Aliens Fireteam Elite, that was a very underwhelming season pass.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

They've apparently finally fixed the dupe bug, finally. Puppetmaster and Plaguebringer are still really hard hitters. Demons in general are tough. Game is still healthy and you can immediately get a match as a Survivor.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

From the DBD thread:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Evil Dead will be free on Playstation Plus next week, and they added a Battle Royale mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QupM-QQW9A