Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
The Cheryl + Ash Support feels really broken. Even as a level 30 necro who hadn't lost a game to that point, it didn't feel like I could touch them. When I got someone down, they would be up with full health within seconds. They just healed through anything I could throw at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Lawlicaust posted:

The Cheryl + Ash Support feels really broken. Even as a level 30 necro who hadn't lost a game to that point, it didn't feel like I could touch them. When I got someone down, they would be up with full health within seconds. They just healed through anything I could throw at them.

Yeah, it's unfortunate but right now winning the game as killer is heavily dependent on survivors simply not knowing what they are doing. I just had a similar match as a Necromancer where I had completely maxed out my skill tree except for the vision perk. Didn't matter because you just do not have the DPS to overcome the heals. If it takes thirty seconds to down a survivor and the survivors have a 60 second cooldown where they are basically invincible, not to mention passive healing from attacks, then you're just hosed. It also makes it so trapping around the map is basically pointless since they can just quick heal and erase what happened, and if you can't out dps them with a maxed tree then trapping for xp isn't much of a reason.

I have a feeling that a lot of survivability reworks are going to be in the cards. It's just too easy to play survivor right now with the ability to dark souls your way into a damage-less encounter. And I am saying that as someone who plays 50:50 survior:killer; if the killer doesn't trap you in a corner and beats your team to death then it's basically a guaranteed win. Higher enemy damage overall is probably going to be the easy win in that sense; a trap knocking off at least a quarter of your health seems reasonable, especially with the autolock self heals.

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal
I am starting to believe that priming lots of traps you come across at the start is not the way to go. It takes up time that could be spend finding the survivors and start harassment. I´Instead I take a quick look around every named area for chests, trap every chest I find, then move on. Chest traps net you 100xp, regular traps 10xp, so the time it takes to look for the chests is worth it. At this point I only place regular traps if I am close to capping energy so I dont lose the xp from picking up energy balls.

Still, finding the survivors is highest priority, worth sacrificing trapping xp for. I'd also put the first 3 points into traps. A possessed elite can do some damage in the early game. Hell, even if they dodge well and take little damage, it still takes them some time to dps it down at this point, slowing their progression.

A thing I slept on for a long time is how important your demonic charge ability is. It gives you a good amount of xp per player hit, as well as a good chunk of infernal energy, in addition to fearing them. I started using it as more of a recovery tool after a fight. That's when survivors stick in place for a couple seconds to loot/heal up, so getting a 2+ hit in is easier. Ideally this gives enough energy to immediately push again.

Schnitzler fucked around with this message at 13:18 on May 15, 2022

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I don't care for strategy or optimization.

I finally get to play a good game as Ash and the invisible evil. I'm mostly gonna gently caress around!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I was able to pay this game with my friends last night, but it became a slideshow so I backed out to install the new drivers. After that, the game refused to recognize my internet connection so I couldn't even get to the main menu. Tried restarts, flushing the DNS, etc, and Evil Dead just did not want to see what everything else on my computer could see. Is this an error anyone else has dealt with?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

marshmallow creep posted:

I was able to pay this game with my friends last night, but it became a slideshow so I backed out to install the new drivers. After that, the game refused to recognize my internet connection so I couldn't even get to the main menu. Tried restarts, flushing the DNS, etc, and Evil Dead just did not want to see what everything else on my computer could see. Is this an error anyone else has dealt with?

Enable DLSS.

The only time I had trouble with a network connection was when I forgot I had cheat engine running in the background. :shobon:

This game owns. It feels well done and fairly complete. Warlord and Puppeteer are definitely the 2 best evil classes. Necro feels incredibly underwhelming.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Welp, I reinstalled the game and the graphics drivers and still can't connect to this game's servers so this is definitely 40 bucks well spent. Got to play for four hours and now it won't let me play at all and I can't figure out why.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

One thing that it took me a little bit to get, the points you earn in matches are like DbD bloodpoints and can be used across characters. I'm not sure about the earning rate though, I doesn't seem to be tied tightly to your actual game score.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Picked this up on PS5, I’ve been working nights so not had much time, I played through the tutorials and decided to start with the missions to get used to the game….turns out this was a mistake I couldn’t even finish the first so I had a quick game online which was quite fun although we lost it definitely reminded me of F13 a bit (which I still play occasionally) I’m gonna spend some of my nightshift watching YouTube to get some tips.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
One question I had, so the game doesn't have push-to-talk yet? Does that mean if I, say, tried to stream this for a friend on Discord then everybody in-game would hear me constantly? Can you at least just turn off the mic altogether in the game?

Or is it that there's just no voice chat at all, ala DbD? Because I could live with that.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

King Vidiot posted:

One question I had, so the game doesn't have push-to-talk yet? Does that mean if I, say, tried to stream this for a friend on Discord then everybody in-game would hear me constantly? Can you at least just turn off the mic altogether in the game?

Or is it that there's just no voice chat at all, ala DbD? Because I could live with that.

There's no push to talk, on account of the devs being paint drinkingly stupid. There is voice chat though.

Serious I know that most people are console players that do full stream of consciousness "CRUNCH CRUNCH GOD MOM ILL TAKE OUT THE TRASH LATER *bong rip*" hotmics but it drives me absolutely insane.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I really wish full 1v5 private matches gave experience. I understand why it doesn't but it would be great to play as a full group.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Do private matches unlock all the things for loving about like Dead by Daylight?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I wish solo matches also gave experience. It's a good way to learn the basics, sorta.

But yeah, I haven't been able to connect to a match all day and I'm pretty bummed.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
hosed around on a marathon (for me) Survivor session, 12 games played, 1 win. About half of the games were "winnable", the other half the rest of the team was just too fresh and/or stupid to win, oh well. The other half, even though I lost all but one I had a blast the entire time. As somebody who played a little Demon but who is currently playing the Survivors because I simply don't have the time to sit there and wait 20 minutes for a game, here's some thoughts:

1) "I can't win unless the Survivors don't know what they're doing" Well that hasn't been my experience from the other side. What I think is happening here is that Demons are winning a lot of games they shouldn't simply because the average rando Survivor player is lone wolfing this game and doesn't functionally know how to play, or that the Demon player has vastly more points in their skill tree than the Survivors and that dynamic is setting Demon expectations and skill assessment incorrectly. Don't get into bad habits and thinking that a team that actually knows what they're doing is unbeatable, you're just not very good (the game has been out 3 days). You can win just fine. You just can't win super easily doing the same old mindless flowchart poo poo. As I said above I had 6 good games with good solid squads and we still lost the vast majority although all were close. I had literally the perfect squad last night of Cheryl, ED2 Ash (me), Arthur, and AOD Ash. All stuck together, all doing great against a Warlord, upgraded to all hell, doing well on the objectives until we got into the final fight and the Demon got a good Scare Dash, possessed me, and used my Legendary Hunting Rifle to literally 3 shot each person on the team before they knew what was happening. Dude was even corner peaking! Props to that Warlord for clearly thinking tactically about what they needed to do, then doing it. Another one we lost because we limped through the second objective phase (Book and Knife) and after the Demon was exorcised they *immediately* came back (I'm talking within 20 seconds) and hit the party hard when we were on the back foot and still regrouping, forcing us to go into the final fight with low stocks. If the Survivors know what they're doing you better start thinking real hard about capitalizing on errors or creating space to work instead of trying to win by spamming stuff and hoping the Survivors are too stupid to band together and fight it, which seems to be the "strategy" of too many Demons out there.

2) The Survivor Death Experience needs some TLC. I had 4 games in the "oh dear we're too stupid to win" bracket where I found a Survivor and stuck with them, was attacked and killed, and the other Survivor ran away or died with me (Survivors 3 & 4 literally never joined us and were off solo looting or getting a foot massage or w/e) and then just sat there staring at a "Save My Soul" screen where I couldn't even open the map or do anything at all, really. After 5 minutes I would DC because gently caress waiting around for the other 2/3 goobers to get slowly picked off and I found out that the game actually has a ban system if you disconnect on the 4th game. It was only 90 seconds but still. They really need to let you disconnect with reduced or even no rewards if you're in soul form for 5 minutes, it's silly. Also let me observe the other players or open the map when I'm dead, come on man, what harm can it do?

3) Supply Chests make a noise. It sounds kinda like a nearby magic portal or something, I dunno. It's a magic-y sound. Once you hear it you'll know to listen for it. Please ping your Supply Chests in the early game btw, it's a bummer to get to the scoreboard and see some guy got 15 Pinks and the next nearest player got 6.

4) The Blunderbuss is poo poo. Couldn't even make the Legendary version of it work on ED2 Ash with full damage upgrades and Pink F* to the max. With that kind of RPM it needs to be way more devastating then it is. I assume you're supposed to run Lucky Shot with it because otherwise yikes.

5) I didn't know this because I'm shmuck, but every time *any* Support character uses an Amulet or drinks a Cola, everyone around them gets 70% of the effect. Yes, this includes Pablo and ED1 Ash. I thought it was just a Cheryl thing.

6) This is way better than pretty much every other 4v1 asymmetrical I've played. Even minimal team cohesion makes it a blast. After Resident Evil: Resistance I really thought the genre had potential if it wasn't designed by primitive screwheads who built the game around stuns, and I'm glad someone finally did it. And with such a great license!

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 15, 2022

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

1) "... I had literally the perfect squad last night of Cheryl, ED2 Ash (me), Arthur, and AOD Ash. All stuck together, all doing great against a Warlord, upgraded to all hell, doing well on the objectives until we got into the final fight and the Demon got a good Scare Dash, possessed me, and used my Legendary Hunting Rifle to literally 3 shot each person on the team before they knew what was happening. Dude was even corner peaking! Props to that Warlord for clearly thinking tactically about what they needed to do, then doing it...

I agree that it's way to early to talk about too weak/too strong stuff, but this is an example of a survivor error imo. I watched a coordinated group shred through the game for a couple of hours today. Possessions like that were called out and ended instantly by the other 3 survivors turning their head and mag dumping into the possessed one.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Schnitzler posted:

I agree that it's way to early to talk about too weak/too strong stuff, but this is an example of a survivor error imo. I watched a coordinated group shred through the game for a couple of hours today. Possessions like that were called out and ended instantly by the other 3 survivors turning their head and mag dumping into the possessed one.

Well I did call it out but the dude was corner peaking so it wasn't that easy, and of course there were other critters running around disrupting the other players. But we absolutely did not execute perfectly there...I'm just saying that there are a lot of bad demons who have literally never lost a game and they think it's because they're good players. LOL. Like I said, literally half the time I'm playing winning is not possible, the team is either totally new or a buncha boneheads, and when you add in the fact that the Demon player is dumping all their XP into one character and flying up the skill tree while the Survivor players are largely still trying to find the right character and usually under level 10, it's not exactly hard to see who has the advantage here.

Also if you'd link that Survivor group I would super appreciate it.

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Well I did call it out but the dude was corner peaking so it wasn't that easy, and of course there were other critters running around disrupting the other players. But we absolutely did not execute perfectly there...I'm just saying that there are a lot of bad demons who have literally never lost a game and they think it's because they're good players. LOL. Like I said, literally half the time I'm playing winning is not possible, the team is either totally new or a buncha boneheads, and when you add in the fact that the Demon player is dumping all their XP into one character and flying up the skill tree while the Survivor players are largely still trying to find the right character and usually under level 10, it's not exactly hard to see who has the advantage here.

Also if you'd link that Survivor group I would super appreciate it.

Oh absolutely, it does not take much to rip through quickplay survivor groups as a demon. I lost my very first game, then won every match till I reached level 45 today, and I suck at games like this.
This is the stream they did yesterday: https://twitch.tv/videos/1483639149
They lose a couple in the first two hours, but I think after that they start to dominate.
The streamer played today as well with people from chat, won more then he lost there as well.

This might actually also be a good example of the level disparity between survivors and demons you mentioned. His main survivor is level 25 at this point, many of his group members as well, that surely helps. But they are also getting pink F levels extremely quickly in the match and quickly reach a point where they just shred basic mobs in one hit, bosses in ~5 seconds. I'd really love to know the level of the demons they're fighting, maybe this is just an example of the level disparity working the other way.

Schnitzler fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 15, 2022

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Oh it's PND Mustard! Love this guy and his brother, they are great guys and I love their fighting game stuff. Thank you for the link!

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Oh it's PND Mustard! Love this guy and his brother, they are great guys and I love their fighting game stuff. Thank you for the link!

No problem! Yeah they are a lot of fun, I watch their stuff a lot.

Changing subject, I wish possessing players and possessing units could be bound to different keys, it sucks to possess the half dead survivor with max fear level instead of the elite unit standing in front of him.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
If you're having connection issues, disable cross play.

Their twitter is saying some servers or something were down.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I had a weird match as killer earlier. I ended up winning but it took forever because they kept kiting me all over the place and then grabbing corpses when I was killing people on the objectives. Which is a good way to stay alive but not a great way to win since they lost before they got the objects.

One guy though, he got a *massive* number of points for monster damage. Easily four times higher than any of his teammates and actually higher than what I got for the entirety of damage for the map. The weird thing is that I never even saw the guy until the very end, he was the last man standing and went down fast when mobbed. I honestly wonder if there was already a points exploit discovered that I don't know about it, because it was extreme.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
is there a trick to movement that I'm missing? it is not enjoyable in any way, in any mode to move any character. I thought it was 2022 and we invented how to move a thing in video games without sucking. i had to laugh out loud when i tried demon mode once and the omnipresent god thing still couldn't move for poo poo.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I'm just going to assume you've never seen Evil Dead because otherwise yikes.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I don't think I understand Mission 5. Completely at random the black fog that otherwise marks out of bounds for the scripted fights will engulf everything and then I just kind of die with no recourse

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

I'm really enjoying this so far, and I've had decent success playing as a Survivor. I've mostly played with a premade team of 4 and minus our first mission where we learned just how fast the closing circle can kill you, we either win, or come real close to it. Even my experiences with pugs have been surprisingly decent. The one time I got on a team where everyone ran off in their own direction, it was at least mercifully short.

I'm sure when I've played some more and gained more experience, I'll realize this gripe is probably unfounded, but my god do I hate the puppet master's AoE electricity. I just got out of a match where I swear the puppet master nuked our entire group minus the warrior in one fell swoop. I mean, good for him, he caught us all clustered around a gold chest, but man, it was a lot of damage all at once.

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal
Does anyone know if the demon's possession skill affects survivor possession? The wording in the skill is "increases possessed unit damage/health by x%" which makes me think that it does not affect survivor possession. Having a hard time testing that though.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Schnitzler posted:

Does anyone know if the demon's possession skill affects survivor possession? The wording in the skill is "increases possessed unit damage/health by x%" which makes me think that it does not affect survivor possession. Having a hard time testing that though.

I asked an online buddy who plays Eligos and the answer was "I don't know because their gear also has a big effect and Survivors have different amounts of health". Sorry! This seems like a legit mystery.

I added a new Advanced Tips video to the OP, there is some overlap with the other Advanced Tips video but enough difference to make it worthwhile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ72a0iHLBs&t=6s

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal

I asked an online buddy who plays Eligos and the answer was "I don't know because their gear also has a big effect and Survivors have different amounts of health". Sorry! This seems like a legit mystery.

I added a new Advanced Tips video to the OP, there is some overlap with the other Advanced Tips video but enough difference to make it worthwhile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ72a0iHLBs&t=6s

Puppeteers traits also make me believe that the skill does not affect survivors. They have a trait that increases damage done "by possessed survivors" and another trait that increases damage done "by possessed evil units", which makes me think that survivor =/= unit. Also, the skill increases health, and a possessed survivor does not take health damage while possessed because the damage goes directly to your infernal energy.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Lawlicaust posted:

I really wish full 1v5 private matches gave experience. I understand why it doesn't but it would be great to play as a full group.

This is confirmed? That does suck because playing with pubbies in games like this can be a horrifying experience and not in the way you'd want in a horror game.

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Comfortador posted:

This is confirmed? That does suck because playing with pubbies in games like this can be a horrifying experience and not in the way you'd want in a horror game.

You can play in a group of 4 as survivors against a random demon, this gives full XP and everything. But there is an option to play a private match with 5 people, where one of the 5 plays the demon. This does not give XP because the demon player and the survivor players could just trade wins.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

Schnitzler posted:

You can play in a group of 4 as survivors against a random demon, this gives full XP and everything. But there is an option to play a private match with 5 people, where one of the 5 plays the demon. This does not give XP because the demon player and the survivor players could just trade wins.

Bummer. Am I remember wrong that F13 gave experience in private matches?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Schnitzler posted:

I get this mentality, DBD has it too, but man...give people 1/10th the XP or something. In DBD there's no motivation for 5 of us to play other than for the sake of playing, every match you play is pointless for progression. Though I don't know what the grind is like for ED yet.

Grind for Evil Dead, that is, not Erectile Dysfunction. Sadly I'm fully aware of that one.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Comfortador posted:

Bummer. Am I remember wrong that F13 gave experience in private matches?

It does!

Still debating getting this. Looks really fun!

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

MacheteZombie posted:

It does!

Still debating getting this. Looks really fun!

It is extremely fun when you're in a match with friends. I've heard the public scene is just full of racist poo poo.

edit: whoops, thought you were talking about F13. It's still fun. :)

Comfortador fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 16, 2022

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Comfortador posted:

It is extremely fun when you're in a match with friends. I've heard the public scene is just full of racist poo poo.

I have mostly played public games and not heard anything racist, but as I said before about half my games simply aren't winnable because one or more of the players is playing a Lone Wolf and Die simulator.

edit: Game is very good btw.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 16, 2022

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Medullah posted:

I get this mentality, DBD has it too, but man...give people 1/10th the XP or something. In DBD there's no motivation for 5 of us to play other than for the sake of playing, every match you play is pointless for progression. Though I don't know what the grind is like for ED yet.

Grind for Evil Dead, that is, not Erectile Dysfunction. Sadly I'm fully aware of that one.

Honestly just give full XP, you get max level eventually anyway, who cares how you get there. But yeah, this would enrage a certain subset of the playerbase to no end, probably easier on the devs to do it this way.

Edit: Thinking about it, I have seen people say that you do get XP for these private matches, but less than regular once, so it might actually work the way you say. I haven't tried private matches myself to be honest.

Schnitzler fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 16, 2022

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

BTW I know I talked some poo poo about Demon players earlier but AoD Ash (aka Wash) is most definitely busted and can solo objectives on his own if he's spec'd right and the player is good, so please don't think that I'm saying that this is a perfectly balanced game. It's deffo not although I know they'll keep trying to get the balance right.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Schnitzler posted:

Honestly just give full XP, you get max level eventually anyway, who cares how you get there. But yeah, this would enrage a certain subset of the playerbase to no end, probably easier on the devs to do it this way.

Edit: Thinking about it, I have seen people say that you do get XP for these private matches, but less than regular once, so it might actually work the way you say. I haven't tried private matches myself to be honest.

It really comes down to devs believing their game is fun once the grind is complete. Dead By Daylight has literally an eternal, never ending grind because they think people would quit once they unlock everything. I think DBD would be more respected if they trimmed it down so you don't need to treat it like a full time job with overtime to unlock stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Medullah posted:

It really comes down to devs believing their game is fun once the grind is complete. Dead By Daylight has literally an eternal, never ending grind because they think people would quit once they unlock everything. I think DBD would be more respected if they trimmed it down so you don't need to treat it like a full time job with overtime to unlock stuff.

Yeah true, the grind does keep players active. I think grinding for cosmetics/titles/other superficial stuff is the best compromise. Provides goals to play towards without impacting the gameplay of people who play less/in different game modes.