Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

After a bunch of comments of support from you goons, I decided to give in and try and share the stories of a misspent youth.
Someone mentioned maybe a thread and prompts to help, and it seemed like a decent idea, even if it feels ego driven and an attempt for attention. So you guys can do like a Kickstarter, but stupider- you invest some time and input, I give you words in an order. And you'll probably see a bunch of my handwriting and bad poetry and art and stuff.

This isn't a me thing- if other people want to use the thread for their similar poo poo, I'm good with it. I'm also cool with discussion about what I post- I'd prefer to keep it about the spirit of the writing as opposed to the technical side, but I can't get better without some hurt fee-fees. Obviously, there might be some heavy poo poo in here, so take care of yourself first. I will try and warn you guys of something super heavy, though.

Thread title was an idea for a book title from 2003 if I ever hosed with one. I love alliteration, and Karbala was the first city we got to spend some time (a few days, maybe). Beautiful place.

So yeah. Pester me in here. Remind me in here. I'll post poo poo in here. Any ideas, questions, prompts, whatever? Drop them below, I guess. (Mods, delete if not allowed).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

E- let me know of this doesn't work for people.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Looks good to me, there is a letter or two that I kinda need to squint and turn my head little to work out, but other than that its solid and legible.
Only word I couldn't figure out was...cryptonesia? craptonesia? Its not a word I've run into before so I couldn't just read the word instead of the individual letters.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Its readable to me. A good start.

I wonder if an OCR software can digitize it down the road?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Some poems I wrote a bit ago.

TW: Death

Untitled, but about a gun team.

Untitled. I will let this one be it's own.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Goddamn dude. Don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't write.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

... go on.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

SerthVarnee posted:

Bookmarked.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Tabernacle of Spent Brass is really drat evocative

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I'm here for this.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

SerthVarnee posted:

Yep. :hai:

Bookmarked.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Ground floor, ready for more. You have significant talent and I'm very much looking forward to seeing everything you share with us.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SerthVarnee posted:

Hundlaser
Jan 15, 2004

by Hand Knit
Holy poo poo, this is art.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

That first piece feels like a foreword for a really good book.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I think this is the fastest I've ever seen a thread get gold-rated.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Fantastic stuff

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe
Keep them coming please.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Gorgeous writing.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

SerthVarnee posted:

Looks good to me, there is a letter or two that I kinda need to squint and turn my head little to work out, but other than that its solid and legible.
Only word I couldn't figure out was...cryptonesia? craptonesia? Its not a word I've run into before so I couldn't just read the word instead of the individual letters.

Cryptomnesia is what it's called when you recover a forgotten memory, but instead of experiencing it as a memory, you regard it as something new. It'd be like if you start humming "I will always love you" by Parton or Houston, but instead of remembering that it was an incredibly successful Country/RnB song, you (and this is very important) genuinely believe that you came up with the idea yourself.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Yeah, uh, you can definitely write, friend. drat.

Hundlaser
Jan 15, 2004

by Hand Knit
That literary killing/loving metaphor is one of those things thats going to stick. Seriously good writing. I will buy your book when you get around to publishing it.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Just caught up on the thread. I still feel like I'm ego surfing, and I still feel 'weird' about it, but effort.

Thank you all for the compliments and kind words (sounds sarcastic, but it's not. I'm learning how to handle praise/positivity, so bear with me). Don't give me too much credit- I'm sure I'll end up repeating phrases a bunch.

To paraphrase Sarah Maclaughlin, art is like birth- easy, quick delivery with no labor...or a screaming bloody c-section ripped open.

I'll try to keep my writing a little cleaner, but if this works for y'all, works for me. I'm not going to promise a regular schedule for posts- but it will probably be little sprints of a few pages at a time.

E- I put the killing poem early, because it's why you don't ask. I should probably clarify that at some point.

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 15, 2022

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Fearless posted:

That first piece feels like a foreword for a really good book.

Empty quoting the whole page. You're a great writer.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I'm in for the whole story. Everybody's war is different. I know mine was not the same as yours.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I'm in for the whole story. Everybody's war is different. I know mine was not the same as yours.

That's the thing that makes it intrinsically difficult. I don't feel like my experiences were anything but ordinary, normal poo poo. I'm just starting to realize at 40, that no, most people do not have a frame of reference for some of my experiences. I felt like everything was normal, day to day mundane stuff.

Apparently, I'm wrong sometimes. Don't tell my wife- she'll get ideas above her station.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

bulletsponge13 posted:

That's the thing that makes it intrinsically difficult. I don't feel like my experiences were anything but ordinary, normal poo poo. I'm just starting to realize at 40, that no, most people do not have a frame of reference for some of my experiences. I felt like everything was normal, day to day mundane stuff.

Apparently, I'm wrong sometimes. Don't tell my wife- she'll get ideas above her station.

I get you. For me, Panama was different from DS was different from Somalia. But at the time, most of the poo poo seemed like stuff that everybody there just knew and wasn't special. Looking back though, it's a different animal.

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

Your style of writing is enjoyable and visceral. Your penmanship(calligraphy in some) is also really great

Definitely hooked

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

:justpost:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Would I be good to transcribe them as you post them?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

Would I be good to transcribe them as you post them?

I would never ask such a thing. If you would like to, I am ok with it, but never feel it's obligated or expected, and would not have my feelings hurt if you change your mind.

drat, y'all some supportive motherfuckers.

E- I feel bad, and will put together a proper response and appreciation for individual comments later tonight.

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 15, 2022

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

bulletsponge13 posted:

Just caught up on the thread. I still feel like I'm ego surfing, and I still feel 'weird' about it, but effort.

Thank you all for the compliments and kind words (sounds sarcastic, but it's not. I'm learning how to handle praise/positivity, so bear with me). Don't give me too much credit- I'm sure I'll end up repeating phrases a bunch.

To paraphrase Sarah Maclaughlin, art is like birth- easy, quick delivery with no labor...or a screaming bloody c-section ripped open.

I'll try to keep my writing a little cleaner, but if this works for y'all, works for me. I'm not going to promise a regular schedule for posts- but it will probably be little sprints of a few pages at a time.

E- I put the killing poem early, because it's why you don't ask. I should probably clarify that at some point.

It also feels weird because you're probably not used to being praised for your creative efforts too, not to get too armchair psych.

Your writing is genuinely provocative. It evokes the horror and disgust for war that I'm pretty sure you were going for; you can't look away from it but it's viscerally uncomfortable to read, just as I'm sure it was uncomfortable to see. Thank you for sharing.

If you want a place to write regularly with some structure and prompting, there are writers groups too.

My wife has been doing one virtually basically since George Floyd, and it's a very productive and positive experience. Something to consider if you enjoy writing and are wanting to explore other subjects or get feedback in a structured format.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
To paraphrase and add to my wife's weekly prompt:

Remember: no piece of spontaneous literature is ever complete.

A great many pieces of spontaneous literature are never even started.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

It also feels weird because you're probably not used to being praised for your creative efforts too, not to get too armchair psych.

Praise is not a thing to me as a concept. Hearing praise automatically makes me assume the messenger is unreliable. I'm working on it.

To me, nothing is learned from praise. AARs were 50% circle jerk to me.

Turns out, kids need love and affection. Someone should tell my parents. Lol

E- I appreciate praise, and am learning on accepting it, and recognizing it. Baby steps.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

To paraphrase and add to my wife's weekly prompt:

Remember: no piece of spontaneous literature is ever complete.

A great many pieces of spontaneous literature are never even started.

In a same vein, I always loved a piece of advice Hemmingway gave- "Just write one perfect sentence a day." Smug gently caress. Love the guy.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah but I have ADHD pattern anxiety so I had to drop the idealistic poo poo, otherwise nothing I do would be "perfect".

You should post your reads too. Interested to see that too.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah but I have ADHD pattern anxiety so I had to drop the idealistic poo poo, otherwise nothing I do would be "perfect".

You should post your reads too. Interested to see that too.

One of the most important mental shifts of my life was coming to realize deadlines don't mean "the project has to be finished at x time" but instead "the definition of "finished" is whatever you have at x time, stop polishing it"

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Just chipping in from TFR, holy poo poo. I'm not former military by far but even just the first few pages you posted are breathtaking.

I look forward to more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrennic_26
Jul 9, 2009

bulletsponge13 posted:

I would never ask such a thing. If you would like to, I am ok with it, but never feel it's obligated or expected, and would not have my feelings hurt if you change your mind.

drat, y'all some supportive motherfuckers.

E- I feel bad, and will put together a proper response and appreciation for individual comments later tonight.

Here to help with transcription also if needed. You got a squad.