Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

bulletsponge13 posted:

Just caught up on the thread. I still feel like I'm ego surfing, and I still feel 'weird' about it, but effort.

Thank you all for the compliments and kind words (sounds sarcastic, but it's not. I'm learning how to handle praise/positivity, so bear with me). Don't give me too much credit- I'm sure I'll end up repeating phrases a bunch.

To paraphrase Sarah Maclaughlin, art is like birth- easy, quick delivery with no labor...or a screaming bloody c-section ripped open.

I'll try to keep my writing a little cleaner, but if this works for y'all, works for me. I'm not going to promise a regular schedule for posts- but it will probably be little sprints of a few pages at a time.

E- I put the killing poem early, because it's why you don't ask. I should probably clarify that at some point.

It also feels weird because you're probably not used to being praised for your creative efforts too, not to get too armchair psych.

Your writing is genuinely provocative. It evokes the horror and disgust for war that I'm pretty sure you were going for; you can't look away from it but it's viscerally uncomfortable to read, just as I'm sure it was uncomfortable to see. Thank you for sharing.

If you want a place to write regularly with some structure and prompting, there are writers groups too.

My wife has been doing one virtually basically since George Floyd, and it's a very productive and positive experience. Something to consider if you enjoy writing and are wanting to explore other subjects or get feedback in a structured format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
To paraphrase and add to my wife's weekly prompt:

Remember: no piece of spontaneous literature is ever complete.

A great many pieces of spontaneous literature are never even started.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah but I have ADHD pattern anxiety so I had to drop the idealistic poo poo, otherwise nothing I do would be "perfect".

You should post your reads too. Interested to see that too.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

bulletsponge13 posted:

Reads?

Like my current reading list, favorite books, ??
I want to answer but I don't know how. Lol

You sucked up to Hemingway, I figured maybe you just had some books or stories that perhaps you had drawn from.

There's always something rattling around that inspires our decisions, especially with writing.

And yeah publishing this stuff, for me as a gipper especially, feels important. Even if it's drafty or incomplete, the more voices we have speaking about their own feelings and experiences, the more complete picture we can leave for history. There is an entire class of writing that developed in warfare.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 18, 2022

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
A lot of inks do that because they're rusting, essentially.

That's why art supplies advertise "archival" and "acid free" properties.

They also make a whole spectrum of inks for pen nerds and I imagine some madman may choose brown.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
blue-black supremacy

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Maybe you see yourself as the kid trying to copy Wilde still, but that kids lived a life and now knows more clearly the weight those sentiments can have, so you can now more effectively wield these words.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah a narcissist really kind of can't think of anything outside of their own benefit, even in everyday thoughts and interactions. You seem to reflect on others too often to really ever qualify; but I get the mindfuck of guilt and trauma that keeps you blaming yourself. Over years, you remember less context of the memory, but your own ruminations get stronger.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

bulletsponge13 posted:

I ask because I feel guilty. I want to be more routine, that was part of the original intent of the thread...but I also had what turned out to be some unrealistic expectations of some of the emotional difficulties I've encountered in digging out some of this nonsense. Or that I have no idea how to write- like the process, I mean. Not structurally, but like methodology? I guess? I'm explaining it poorly.
I feel guilty that I drop like 15 pages and then gently caress off for months.

All things are temporary man. We are a happy audience, not entitled to your work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Nah man this is fine and none of us are entitled to your work