Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

... go on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The successful part of any war story, real or fictional, is that you can recognize the characters in archetype. I know those guys in those trucks. They wore different uniforms and were in boats, but that's them.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Quackles posted:

I vote for Examples of Iraqi Mental Health .

You can't drop a potential chapter title like that and just leave us with nothing.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Bear Kid is the real MVP of this chapter.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

It's eerie seeing the War Kid background in someone else, all the books and movies that inevitably led me to signing up: In Harm's Way. Action in the North Atlantic. Guns of Navarone And of course Samuel Eliot Morison's The Two Ocean War, which I'd read from cover to cover at least half a dozen times before I'd left Junior High.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

bulletsponge13 posted:

I'll give it a shot with that attitude, but I doubt it will change much. I really disliked Tolkien, which kinda sucks, because I loved fantasy.
I just don't want to read a dozen pages describing an open field, then nothing interesting for 6 pages, followed by him translating a bunch of world building garbage that doesn't progress the story for another 3, and then pick up with no detail towards the parts I find interesting.

I love the world Tolkien built. I'd just rather read about his work than actually read his work.

E- this came across more angry/dickish and dismissive than i intended. I do appreciate the input, and really will give it a chance. Maybe audio book will help.

I don't know if audiobook is the way to go there--it'd make it harder to skip the songs.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

bulletsponge13 posted:

Similar thing- I enjoy much of the world and lore, but it's entirely too dense, contradictory, and scattered.

I want to be an Ork.

:hmmorks:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Our silence isn't indifference, it's just :allears:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

That candy wrapper business is like an entire episode's worth of B plot for the HBO series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Sarern posted:

Coffee table book with scans of the handwritten pages.

Well, float it to a publisher, and put it in the hands of art directors. I don't know if you can sell a handwritten book as-is, but I bet they'll at least take a look at including some of it/