Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Thank you very much for sharing all this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

bulletsponge13 posted:

I love fantasy and the world. Just not the wiring.

I think I get annoyed because I know Tolkein os avoiding his own nightmares, but he based some of those battles of history, and I want to hear how the different races fight.

Well, poo poo. That's kinda just Warhammer 40k.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

bulletsponge13 posted:

Similar thing- I enjoy much of the world and lore, but it's entirely too dense, contradictory, and scattered.

I want to be an Ork.

A bulletsponge in King Gorkamorka's court:

"Hey! I need a truck."

"Oh yeah, human? Red, yellow, orange, or black?"

"Red?"

"Goz fastah."

"Yellow?"

"Goz BOOM."

"Orange?"

"Goz fastah and BOOM!"

"Black?"

(Look, I deal with orks here. No one gets that far. Whatever it is, it scares even us.)

"So I'm just going to leave the keys here for you, human. Aaaaand if the Emperor asks..."

"I don't know you. Got it."

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Oh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04cwo850t3o

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

This poo poo's soothing to the soul.

I started reading excerpts to my daughter when we speak on the phone. Neither of us have these experiences, but we share... something with them.

Growing up in trap houses. Dealing with those kinda people. There are things that you learn.

The train is coming 'round that track, on the bridge, with you standing there. Alone with them around. No runnin', 'cause what's worse. At a certain point you know what's gonna happen. You're good, you'll be there to build on what's left. Alone again.

Why calm? This can't be good. Chucky's in lockup, someone came and took the dogs. What now? The next disaster. Start fillin' them water bottles. We ain't hittin' the store for a while.

Done with it. Away from it. Life, like normal folks.

There's threads. Tuggin' gentley away.

Need somethin'? That butterfly wing can set off a typhoon.

You good. Prepared. Knowledgeable. Uniquely so.

Trauma must have been worth somethin'.

Now you're helpin'. Unspoken but understood.

Can't ask.

Shouldn't.

Won't.

Won't delete all that, but felt I should've.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

bulletsponge13 posted:

...Therapist thinks this is a good thing; she wants me to explore sharing it further, outside our little subforum, but I am unsure. If I do, I want to keep it on SA. So standing offer- of any of you guys want to share this thread or any of my posts, go for it. I think I do better when it is more of a 'community' thing...

Oh. I should have asked before spraypainting excerpts on every rail bridge from C. Florida to N. Alabama then!

Real-talk, I've read your stories out loud to my family and friends. They love them. It can be difficult to read and listen to. Not because of how they're presented or written, but the feelings these stories bring with them. Comfortable intimacy in uncomfortable spaces and places, much like your poem.

If that seems dark or anything, rest assured it isn't. Warmth and truthfulness is what I feel, from myself, reading what you've wrought.

madeintaipei fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 6, 2022