Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
I hear you when you say you dont think what youre doing is that big a deal. When you are really good at something it feels too easy and comes naturally, and it is difficult to understand why everyone else is reacting to it like they are.

At a certain point you kinda just have to take it on faith that nobody here is loving with you. When they say you write beautifully and your message resonates deeply it can feel like “naaaaah thats just some stuff i put on paper to get it out of my head”.

You might think “theyre just being nice”, or worse that they have an ulterior motive and are setting you up for something.

When you do that though, you are placing too much weight on your personal history and past experience and letting it color your experience of current events. Just because those fuckers back then were full of poo poo does not mean these fuckers here right now are also full of poo poo.

It has taken me a lifetime to get to a point where i can just take a compliment and say thanks, and mean it. I still struggle with it. I don’t understand why anyone makes a big deal about the work i do either, i just try to accept that they are being earnest about it.

Your work is compelling, and beautiful, and needs to be shared beyond GIP. If you make the investment to create it then it will be there to help people make sense of their own lives for as long as it exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

bulletsponge13 posted:

I don't even think anything I've shared is extraordinary.

I believe everything you say, but I'm still fighting that little voice saying "And mom called you handsome", like you guys are giving me grace because you know me. Insane, I know.

it's just one of those things where i can't see it from the other side.

I'm not fishing for compliments or anything like that; I just really can't see 'viewer' side of the paper. I'm trying.

Youre just gonna have to trust us dude.

I would pay real money for this in hardcopy.

What really hits deep for me is how your work so far combines the artistry of how you paint a scene with uncomfortably honest emotional analysis of what those events do to a person. You are talking about some deeply terrible poo poo in prose that counterweights the events beautifully, and that juxtaposition of the prose vs the events is haunting.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

What youre doing is creating a work of art.

Dont focus on the “mona lisa” aspect of that term.

You are working at producing a piece of art might be another way to say it that feels more honest about what it is.

Key word is “work” though.

Ive done enough writing to know the mental effort involved to just do 1 good page. It can flow out in 20 minutes, or it can take weeks. The thing about deeply personal work like this is that you are going to want it to be perfect, and there will be a temptation to just toss a piece in the trash when it doesnt flow easily or you cant get the tone right.

Dont toss anything out. Put it in a folder when its not cooperating with you and come back to it later. Let your subconscious noodle on it for a couple days, and then have another go at that piece. Move the tone a little, try a different angle, eventually youll figure out how to tell it and itll work.

You dont owe us a drat thing. This is not the newspaper comic business where you have to have tomorrow’s piece submitted by 5 pm. If you not nuthin today, tomorrow, for a week, for a month - absolutely fine. Deeply personal work is like that, and we get it.

This is literally just a place for you to put it when it is ready for public consumption so its all in one place.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Your nickname was “Woody” cause youre proportioned like the character?

If yeah thats *hosed up* and also hilarious

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Posting again to apologize for finding the theoretical background for the nick funny.

Ive put a lot of effort with my kids into “make fun of what people do, not what they are” but i am still working on that for myself.

Sorry. Wasnt cool of me.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Dude.

Book.

Seriously.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

I would like to reiterate that it is vitally important that you continue to write this all down, and that you eventually get it published in some form or other.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Publish when?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

How long does it take to gently jack up the corner of a house youre still living in in order to replace a hosed up part of the foundation?

If you care about the house at all, it takes some time.

Be kind to yourselves. :)