Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Just chipping in from TFR, holy poo poo. I'm not former military by far but even just the first few pages you posted are breathtaking.

I look forward to more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
I don't know how much you've written and scanned but honestly, there's a boatload of books published successfully on the topic that are objectively worse than what you have shared. Look at publishing, seriously.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
I'll leave the thread alone after this but seriously, if you've got pages and pages of this stuff you should seriously be shopping publishers.

Title it "He Hurt My Feelings First." and profit. That poo poo is all amazing.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
If you were to publish I think the actual physical form brings a lot to the writing, even the mistakes and little changes in handwriting, etc. Again, from a civilian perspective, I think these are some of the most powerful and well written anecdotes about military service I've ever read. You could absolutely publish this and reach a lot of people outside of our little Internet corner.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Make a book.

Edit: gently caress, I'll help fund it.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Dude. Publish.

"The fumbling attempts of a clumsy cook to mimic a favorite forgotten recipe." "...a topography of heartbreak."

That one literally had me tearing up reading it to my wife. You've got something special here that obviously resonates with people.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
"Often kind, but mostly stupid."

That's your book title.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Patrick Schneeweis lyrics and a beautifully challenging story. Get a loving publisher involved.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
The nice thing with Pat is he got clean, but even at his darkest times he was writing the most chaotically optimistic songs about what people should be capable of if we stopped being shitheads to each other. A lot of his Johnny Hobo stuff was pretty lonely and cynical but between Wingnut Dishwashers Union and Ramshackle Glory he really pivoted to a rational hopefulness that acknowledged the poo poo nature of the world we all live in and defiantly stayed optimistic.

I think you might enjoy Benjamin Todd's stuff, especially with his band Lost Dog Street Band. Love, loss, addiction, stupid decisions, they have it all. Try the GemsOnVHS recording of "Odea", it's a tough one.

You don't have to be an addict to have a hole in your heart, it's just some people's reaction to trauma. I would be happy to talk about sad records with you any time. It's kind of my thing.

Days 'n Daze took more of the punk direction. Not my style but "Misanthropic Drunken Loner" called me out pretty loving hard when I first heard it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
I daily take a two lane road instead of a major highway on the way home from work and almost always end up crying checking out new music. I haven't seen even half the poo poo you have but know there are people out there listening.

Tell your stories. Listen to your music. You'll figure it out.

mischief fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 24, 2023