Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah but I have ADHD pattern anxiety so I had to drop the idealistic poo poo, otherwise nothing I do would be "perfect".

You should post your reads too. Interested to see that too.

One of the most important mental shifts of my life was coming to realize deadlines don't mean "the project has to be finished at x time" but instead "the definition of "finished" is whatever you have at x time, stop polishing it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Also the penmanship kind of reminds of Hunter S. Thompson so that’s cool as poo poo too.

Codex C-SPAMICUS has allegedly completed printing and is in sea transit to distribution, perhaps there's a role in this project for Twoday as a calligraphic Ralph Steadman

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

fresh_cheese posted:

I hear you when you say you dont think what youre doing is that big a deal. When you are really good at something it feels too easy and comes naturally, and it is difficult to understand why everyone else is reacting to it like they are.

At a certain point you kinda just have to take it on faith that nobody here is loving with you. When they say you write beautifully and your message resonates deeply it can feel like “naaaaah thats just some stuff i put on paper to get it out of my head”.

You might think “theyre just being nice”, or worse that they have an ulterior motive and are setting you up for something.

When you do that though, you are placing too much weight on your personal history and past experience and letting it color your experience of current events. Just because those fuckers back then were full of poo poo does not mean these fuckers here right now are also full of poo poo.

It has taken me a lifetime to get to a point where i can just take a compliment and say thanks, and mean it. I still struggle with it. I don’t understand why anyone makes a big deal about the work i do either, i just try to accept that they are being earnest about it.

Your work is compelling, and beautiful, and needs to be shared beyond GIP. If you make the investment to create it then it will be there to help people make sense of their own lives for as long as it exists.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Burt posted:

A bit of an odd suggestion but maybe hit up Max from Terminal Lance on how he did it?

his agent does seem to be open to submissions

https://www.veritasliterary.com

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The important thing is to have your words preserved across as many academic libraries as possible. I know you've often said your experiences were not particularly special or unique, and that may well be true but your gift for retelling them in a way that brings the reader there with you in an immediate and accessible way very very much is. There will come a day when there is no one who was there, and that future needs you, because you are giving a small window into what it was to be there better than anyone else who has ever tried.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

shot in the dark here but guessing Preacher is one of your top 5?

e: because that line "You gotta be one of the good guys because we got way too many of the bad" really resonates with your posting

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 6, 2022

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

:lovebird:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Work it into a resume anyway. "I have never machine gunned a butterfly, however this does not reflect a lack of effort."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ooo did somebody get a bottle of Organics Nitrogen?