Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Big Beef City posted:

They weren't carving multiple giant law stellas into rock around the kingdom because 'one guy thought'.

It obviously depends on the specific sort of divinely blessed monarchy you are going for, but monumental inscriptions of laws sounds like exactly the sort of thing you do because "one guy thought".

Of course there's a whole culture around every person, and the opinions of every king will be influenced by his upbringing and advisors and what have you - but I'd be way more surprised if no personal whims of the ruler have ever made it into law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

War and Pieces posted:

on the topic of law & order

manlets stay winning

I wonder if that was intended as the equivalent of "children can't be tried as adults", but with a cutoff that doesn't require record keeping or subjective evaluations?

(I now also wonder how good the record keeping in Qin China was, and how tall they typically grew)

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Applewhite posted:

That's how laws work nowadays but IIRC from "The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind" law stelae were often carved with the outcome of individual cases and were more akin to records of precedent than statutes.

That kind of makes sense - I guess "let's write down what we decided and display it" is one route to a more fair and predictable rule of law. Seem like it would be vulnerable to bad precedents, but that's arguably still a problem today.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

ShootaBoy posted:

That has 'Halfdan was here' carved into an upper level railing iirc. The other runes are just in some cave like 12 feet off the ground lol

These, I think: http://www.orkneyjar.com/history/maeshowe/maeshrunes.htm

The "Tholfir Kolbeinsson carved these runes high up" one is apparently literally true. :)