Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
I moved to the UK, it's pretty good, OP ngl

Remember to queue, put more importance in bin day than the day of your marriage or your firstborn and correct answer to "Alright?" (or "You alright?") is also "Alright" and DEFINITELY not an invitation to a conversation. Pretty ez

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

gleebster posted:

I meet a lot of immigrants, and I'd just like to say thanks for your patience when I try to pronounce your names

It's okay buddy, mine is near impossible to pronounce in English language and I don't hold it against anyone not being able to do so, have some kebab :3:

Writing my name wrong despite it's being written on the email address, forwarded mail text and my signature is taking the piss and you will be publicly corrected on repeat occasion :mad:

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Guys, I know hating on Murica is very chic but just look at this passport:

I mean, how can you not feel like a fuckin rockstar when you're packing this badboy with a two page American Eagle background with some tl;dr about freedom and guns are written in the background. If I had one of those I'd be walking STRAIGHT through the passport control of any country while flipping it open like a FBI badge and never stopping.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

kntfkr posted:

^^^^edit: real americans like me cover the P with sharpie so that it says ASSPORT

:911:

7 Years for Green Card through marriage? Yeah, that checks out. Back in the day, when I was making plans to gtfo I had an extensive research on different countries immigration procedures and US was objectively the hardest, near impossible even, for legitimate entry. Even Australia wasn't that bad. I probably entered GC lottery five times before which is ironically easiest way.

Unless you're some sort of tech prodigy that is needed by the Zos or Zucc, you're SOL.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I got nearly mugged in NYC in the metro and probably came close to death unknowingly multiple times in New Orleans by walking alone in French Quarter at late night. Then the entire state of Lousiana healthcare collapsed overnight due to Delta and I wasn't able to get a single Covid test to return to the ONLY place in the world that was doing worse than (at that time) south of the US and I had to take a 12 hour train to Atlanta to catch up a last minute flight the moment I get a test kit because my original flight from Miami got cancelled due to Covid / hurricane (probably) but silver lining the airport hotel had like two Waffle Houses you can literally see from each other's windows so I ate 7000 calories in one sitting while a nice lady with a walkie talkie on her belt called me "darlin''

Next plan is to fly to Austin for Austin City limits in October OR do a west coast SF to LA trip because idk I it was fun

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 16, 2022

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

So, where should I live in states if I can find a good job? Austin sounds good but so does Colorado or SF. I have like couple of years left in me to do ONE LAST more major life change

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

SF bay area is nice but housing is expensive as gently caress. If thats not an issue for you, then its great, theres all kinds of stuff to do and eat

My theory is, if I can somehow make a break in London, I should be okay in anywhere else and carry the business there but currently thinking 0.40 p discount on tomatoes are a great find so, yeah. SF sounds like my kinda jam but yeah it might be unreasonably expensive to actually consider.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

kntfkr posted:

I like working remote from the jersey shore. Philly & the city aren't too far and being able to walk to the ocean rules & is good for (my) mental health. Also Hoboken or Jersey City are good ways to be in the City without being in the City.

4 out of 5 people I know that have moved to Colorado have completely wrecked themselves out there and I don't know why but would approach with caution unless your thing is mountain climbing or growing weed as a job.

I think, when I'm like proper old (in less than ten years) I might crave for something more relaxed and outdoors-y. While the idea of Bri-ish countryside is appealing, I think I prefer having a more wild open space rather than immaculately trimmed hedges of the Southern Yorkenshire.

NYC is also an option but I don't know if I can handle another round of London. Living close to ocean is also my goal. I kinda like the states and people be like "oh you'll be so Paris Syndrome-d when you finally go there and even like 40 year old jaded me was like "Well, that was awesome!" but I guess living in a country is a different beast.

My one and only MAJOR concern is healthcare, or the lack of universal one. I don't want to fall into some sort f crack or insurance company loophole and not be able to afford...living. I know NHS is far from being perfect but BY GOD it's a major relief to know that it's there.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Borscht posted:

This is incorrect. It's less than 1 year for the gc. 7 is for citizenship eligibility. USCIS can suck my drat balls tho

Oh fair enough, I based that on OP's comment. UK is 5 year flat, iirc, through marriage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Grape posted:

lol NYC is impossible to Paris syndrome since movie NYC is absolutely never a shiny happy place unless it's one of those romcoms that take place entirely in a penthouse (or Friends I guess)

Otherwise like what, are people like "no no, your impression of New York brought upon by Scorcese movies and Nas albums will set you up to expect glamor and glitz!"???

Don't forget How I Met Your Mother :colbert:

But yeah, that comment was aimed at my excitement about the US not NYC in particular. Of course as a tourist my view is biased because I don't have to live with the problems (I had like £20 million travel insurance for like £25) but overall it was a nice experience. People were absolutely more sociable and sincere than UWotMate Island and I loved being able to speak "American" as culturally I grew up with that and conversations felt natural.

I loved when people, especially people not from NYC (locals absolutely cannot give less gently caress) got extremely interested and, like, excited, when they heard I was living in London. "Man, that must be so cool" as opposed to hearing yet another rant about how London is poo poo and everyone living there are wankers.

I liked NYC being proper 24 hour joint even in like peak Delta, I imagine it would be much better now. The prices for nightlife is atrocious though. I took my local friends to a venue I've found in East Village, entry was $15 + 2 Drinks minimum for 2 hour live music then they be like "Hey guys if you want to stay for the next round, you have to pay another $15 + 2 drinks min or we have to kick you out" which was like wtf bro.

The "add tax + tip to list price" thing was pretty frustrating but I don't have strong feelings against it since it's a norm, paying your workers human money would be really nice tho guys, just sayin. Banking is a bit weird, I was :supaburn: panicking when a waiter picked up my CC and literally left I was like uhhhhhh. I got used to it by New Orleans which they prompty managed to overcharge me in a restaurant by mixing the tabs, they fixed it though but that gave me some cold sweats seeing a $120 charge for a plate of gumbo and diet Coke.

Of course as a tourist my view is biased but I felt that I can live there, considering my home country (Turkey) spiraling bad each day