Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

ixnay posted:

They have a bunch of clips of alternate history news footage on the show page that go into the events a bit deeper:

Just watched all of these. I feel like they had similar videos up last season. Lol at how this timeline eliminates the Bush family from national prominence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I just binged season 1 and 2 over the last few weeks, after bouncing off this last year having just watched the pilot. Goddamn it's a good show.

I'm gonna be watching Season 3 Ep 1 tonight so I'm not reading any posts right now, but what I'd love to know is has any of the cast or crew or apple confirmed if this is the last season, or if they have plans for more after this? I thought I read somewhere like "the conclusion" and now I'm worried.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm not sure how many more decades they can convincingly age Ed into before he's the oldest man in human history leading a raid on a Soviet base on Titan.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

teacup posted:

I'm gonna be watching Season 3 Ep 1 tonight so I'm not reading any posts right now, but what I'd love to know is has any of the cast or crew or apple confirmed if this is the last season, or if they have plans for more after this? I thought I read somewhere like "the conclusion" and now I'm worried.

Ron Moore has talked about intending a seven season run if Apple's willing to produce it.

https://collider.com/for-all-mankind-season-3-ronald-d-moore-interview-future-plans-starship/

Planned for seven, ideas for longer if it kept going.

The cast is going to be interesting if it runs that long though. Having those original astronauts still around this season is pushing it, having them still doing space poo poo in season 4 wouldn't make much sense. They'd have to be moving into a new main cast unless they're doing some real sci-fi poo poo to make us think dudes in their 80s are still going to be capable of front line space exploration.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jun 10, 2022

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

Grand Fromage posted:

Ron Moore has talked about intending a seven season run if Apple's willing to produce it.

https://collider.com/for-all-mankind-season-3-ronald-d-moore-interview-future-plans-starship/

Planned for seven, ideas for longer if it kept going.

The cast is going to be interesting if it runs that long though. Having those original astronauts still around this season is pushing it, having them still doing space poo poo in season 4 wouldn't make much sense. They'd have to be moving into a new main cast unless they're doing some real sci-fi poo poo to make us think dudes in their 80s are still going to be capable of front line space exploration.

nice ageism

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
God this show. Killing off Thatcher. Fat Margo. I love it.

Cojawfee posted:

I guess it's easier to just say LCD panels happened sooner than source era appropriate CRTs for everything.

I mean, LCD panels existed throughout the 90s. I didn't find it a stretch.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah I don't care for some of the implausibly advanced stuff, it would look cooler with clunkier tech. But I guess they're just going with 1992 now has 2022 tech for ??? reasons. Whatever, still good.

Yeah they launched the Not James Webb Telescope in the mid 90's, they have nuclear rockets, and working fusion power, both of which we still don't have. Their tech is a few decades ahead of us, minus reusable rockets. But anyone making a modern-era space show for the last 40 years can't help but keep using the Space Shuttle far beyond its capabilities so I'm used to that.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

have ed's actor play his son in s5+ wow he looks just like his dad great casting

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

new ep is a bit lol but also good

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Wafflecopper posted:

have ed's actor play his son in s5+ wow he looks just like his dad great casting

rip

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Loved the various nods to 2001, especially the loudspeaker or whatever it was that straight-up looked like a monolith.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Orthanc6 posted:

Yeah they launched the Not James Webb Telescope in the mid 90's, they have nuclear rockets, and working fusion power, both of which we still don't have. Their tech is a few decades ahead of us, minus reusable rockets. But anyone making a modern-era space show for the last 40 years can't help but keep using the Space Shuttle far beyond its capabilities so I'm used to that.

The Webb launching early was a solid joke. Nuclear rockets are very fine, NASA had a working NERVA engine ready for a Mars mission in 1968. Actually surprised they didn't come up with something more advanced. The fusion's a gimme, the show's always been on a path to become more science fiction over time so sure.

I'm not actually bothered by LCD screens I just think using the older tech would give it a different look and be neat. I don't want the show to just look like generic sci-fi at some point.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm not actually bothered by LCD screens I just think using the older tech would give it a different look and be neat. I don't want the show to just look like generic sci-fi at some point.

I would also like it if they tuned the giddy tech optimism down a tad. I get that the premise of this show is pretty much a space nerd's wet dream of 'the world that could have been' had we poured money into NASA instead of new ways to kill people, and I'm totally onboard with that, but it would be nice if there were a few areas where they were actually inferior technologically, just to make things interesting and add a bit more texture to the setting. Kind of like in the Fallout universe where they had incredibly advanced robotics, supercomputers and AI by the late 21st century, but at a smaller scale had to rely on these lovely 8-bit microcomputer systems because they never developed transistors and microchips to same degree we did. FAM could do something similar where, if next season is set around our time, they could show that hand-held devices didn't progress much beyond the clunky PDA Margo's assistant was using, and that in 2022 everyone basically still uses a Nokia 6110 (on Titan).

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
no vermicuous knids in the space hotel, 2/10 premiere

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I for one loved all of the alternate history poo poo.

For a second there I thought that they were going to kill everyone on Polaris, wiping the slate clean so that we're not following octogenarians lead the mission to Mars, and killing off some of the more annoying characters like Karen. But nah, Karen's a widow now, Ed's wife is annoying, so I predict they'll be back together by the end of the season.

gently caress I love this show. Best show on Apple TV

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Need to have more dumb Karen speeches about living in the grey.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Need to have more dumb Karen speeches about living in the grey.

Except now she's talking about her new wig.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I read the episode description before I watched. After seeing the word “tragedy”, I expected it to get so much worse than it did. For a while I thought the people smoking weed would die, then I thought everyone that stayed at the wedding would die, and then I thought they may kill everyone left at the hotel. Kind of shocked the hotel situation didn’t get worse, but glad. I have no doubt Bill Clinton is going to lose the presidential election this season.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Glad to have it back, but that plot is a bit silly.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I didn't think this episode was as strong as the other season openers (well gently caress nothing can beat that first episode) but even when it's not at the top of the game it's still one of the best shows on TV.

Spoilers below I guess:

The family subplot is such a key part of the show it feels bad for me to say I loving hate it. Ed's wife just seems to be there as a throwaway character, probably to open up the Ed/Karen/Danny terrible love triangle.

Margo remains the greatest, I love how she improves her office bedroom every season. Also getting Aleida to go to space is cool.

That space hotel is nowhere near good enough from a safety perspective. Hopefully this triggers a "private space enterprise might be a bad idea" movement but I guess not based on everything else.

My way early predictions for the season:
-Margo is going to get caught up in some espionage sting. There's no way the CIA aren't aware of her Russian boyfriend. Sadly I think Aleida will end up using some information she gets given through it and gets caught too.

-Ellen will beat Clinton and become President, and have to deal with the above. I'd say there's like a 90% chance she ends up being a one-term president (probably her homosexuality comes out? She's still pretending she's straight I assume?) and gives Margo a pardon when she leaves office.

-Ed and Danielle will both be going to Mars. One will command the Nasa mission, one will go with a private company, they'll both have to deal with the Russians/Chinese/both

-North Korea are going to do... something. Like I'm pretty sure there's going to be something wild where either they a) somehow have actually created a functioning space craft and beat them to North Korea, or b) end up causing some catastrophic incident (maybe on the Moon) that precipitates more US/USSR tensions.

All the alt-hist stuff is cool as hell and we get to do I'mGladShe'sDead.gif decades earlier

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

One thought I’ve had about the space hotel being kinda lovely and the elevators failing in conditions that should be fine (ring was operating under 4Gs, still within parameters) is that the US is falling behind, just like Russia has in our timeline. In FAM, the US is in crisis and the tech and quality are falling behind while the Soviet Union is marching forward.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
Reiterating my love that the basic premise of the show is USSR gets a man on the moon first -> techno utopia where we loving addressed climate change

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

drat that was some good rear end TV.

Having seen Severance, I feel like I'm a bit spoiled for "imaginative take on unstuck-in-time tech". It really kind of blew that bar off the pillars, so I'm not really that surprised that FAM's tech is a bit less balls-to-the-wall about it, but it does kind of poo poo me that they're flogging it so much with these extra features about the alt-universe tech that just isn't as creative as maybe it could be. We have 2022 LCDs in elevator controls and LG flatscreen TVs everywhere but we're also taking notes on literal Newtons? Lmao.

The lollest thing to me was the phone call between Margo and Sergei. "THANK YOU FOR THAT THING YOU HELPED US WITH IN COMPLETE SECRECY WHICH I WILL DESCRIBE NOW IN DETAIL TO WHOEVER MIGHT BE LISTENING, WINK WINK." "Anyway we need help on uuuuhhhhh thrusters" "No problem here's the solution"

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Data Graham posted:

The lollest thing to me was the phone call between Margo and Sergei. "THANK YOU FOR THAT THING YOU HELPED US WITH IN COMPLETE SECRECY WHICH I WILL DESCRIBE NOW IN DETAIL TO WHOEVER MIGHT BE LISTENING, WINK WINK." "Anyway we need help on uuuuhhhhh thrusters" "No problem here's the solution"

Yeah this is why I'm absolutely convinced there'll be some sort of espionage scandal plotline. The CIA will know this phonecall is happening and probably is fine with it as long as it's convenient, but something will happen (probably poo poo going wrong on Mars) and Margo will be exposed.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Data Graham posted:

drat that was some good rear end TV.

Having seen Severance, I feel like I'm a bit spoiled for "imaginative take on unstuck-in-time tech". It really kind of blew that bar off the pillars, so I'm not really that surprised that FAM's tech is a bit less balls-to-the-wall about it, but it does kind of poo poo me that they're flogging it so much with these extra features about the alt-universe tech that just isn't as creative as maybe it could be. We have 2022 LCDs in elevator controls and LG flatscreen TVs everywhere but we're also taking notes on literal Newtons? Lmao.

I kind of wish they had gone with older style 4:3 LCDs for monitors and maybe use projectors since there aren't large size 4:3 LCDs for the big TVs. I guess getting modern monitors was easier than sourcing some old Viewsonics.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

EvilHawk posted:

Yeah this is why I'm absolutely convinced there'll be some sort of espionage scandal plotline. The CIA will know this phonecall is happening and probably is fine with it as long as it's convenient, but something will happen (probably poo poo going wrong on Mars) and Margo will be exposed.

Seems likely. Hard to believe the head of NASA has spent a decade exchanging secret phone calls with the Soviet Union without being noticed and monitored.

bergeoisie
Aug 29, 2004

EvilHawk posted:

Yeah. I think they're going to do it in a way that has a Aleida/Margo split that parallel's the Margo/Werner Von Braun split in the first season

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

EvilHawk posted:

Yeah the clandestine aspect of it was one thing, which I thought was pretty funny about how clearly it was telegraphing things; but the other half which was more :psyduck: was how he just sort of casually mentioned in the vaguest possible terms some specific and extremely esoteric problem and she just immediately knew what he was talking about and had a solution ready to offer. Like in real life your whole team of crack scientists are stuck on a problem with your bespoke top-secret homegrown tech for weeks and your boss makes one phone call to the rival team's boss and instead of having to spend weeks coming up to speed and learning your stack and the intricate nature of the problem she's like "oh just bypass the nancor valve"

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 10, 2022

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I loled at the access panel blowing off in the wind during the last EVA scene, and at there being no way to stop the fuel supply to an engine without someone going outside to manually turn a valve.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Maybe I missed it but can't believe no one brought up The First Dance song choice, :lol:

Also Jimmy's the coolest.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Handsome Ralph posted:

Maybe I missed it but can't believe no one brought up The First Dance song choice, :lol:

Also Jimmy's the coolest.

I meant to ask what that was about, I don't remember its significance.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Grand Fromage posted:

I meant to ask what that was about, I don't remember its significance.

It was the song Karen and Danny started dancing to when they were alone closing up the bar, started kissing, and then you know. lol.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Handsome Ralph posted:

It was the song Karen and Danny started dancing to when they were alone closing up the bar, started kissing, and then you know. lol.

Ah that makes sense with her reaction. I tried to forget that plot ever happened.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Grand Fromage posted:

Ah that makes sense with her reaction. I tried to forget that plot ever happened.

I just did a rewatch this past week and that scene as well as The Baldwin's singing "Anchor's Away!" were two of the cringest moments last season. Otherwise, I love this show but woof.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah I love this show but uh. I cannot comprehend how that plotline happened. Definitely "writer's barely disguised fetish" vibes.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

withak posted:

I loled at the access panel blowing off in the wind during the last EVA scene, and at there being no way to stop the fuel supply to an engine without someone going outside to manually turn a valve.

yeah. i'm no rocket scientist, but i really feel like there should be more than one valve in the system. Just turn off all the boosters at the fuel source and send someone out to fix it without being at 4Gs

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
To those complaining about the tech in the show being too advanced: their space hotels aren't even 5G capable :haw:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mr. unhsib posted:

God this show. Killing off Thatcher. Fat Margo. I love it.
I about died laughing when that popped up, love how much this show just leans into it

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You can tell whoever was assigned production of the “time passes” alt-history montage had a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

bawfuls posted:

I about died laughing when that popped up, love how much this show just leans into it

Yeah that and Maradona getting a foul giving England the world cup both made me laugh pretty hard.